Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renovated BA Club Lounge at JFK now open

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 1:46 am

I am really impressed with how you analysed the lounge and articulated your analysis. Where can one go about acquiring this skill? This is an honest question.
Originally Posted by noFODplease
Absolutely horrible.

The new First lounge is bland but expensive looking; this manages to look both bland and cheap. Neither has a whisper of luxury - too bright; long out of date pale wood and veneer finishes; the use of a split-complementary colour temperature in both lounges more suited to walk-through morning spaces like cafeterias and lobbies, when the vast majority of users will be dining and drinking towards the evening and night-time - topped off with hard design corners and repetitive cubic furniture arrangements.

Billboard style slogans/words pasted across walls are cringeworthy in their own right; the fact they have done this in Copperplate Gothic is utterly unforgivable.

Anyway this is only my opinion obviously and I'm certain some people will love it
Old May 3, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by simpletastes
I am really impressed with how you analysed the lounge and articulated your analysis. Where can one go about acquiring this skill? This is an honest question.
I think I’m just a born cynic
Old May 3, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
What's with all that tacky non-nonsensical writing an slogans on the wall??
What a waste of money!
It's an airline business lounge ....
Old May 3, 2019, 4:16 am

Apologies if this has been covered already, but has the re-opening up of the Club lounge resulted in a more pleasant atmosphere back in the First Lounge? I seem to recall the F lounge was being used to accommodate all pax with lounge access when work was being done and hence it became a bit of a scrum.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by groenroos
Here's something that's really going to toast your almonds then: I daresay they've even managed to install the "S" in "Savour" upside down, as it's looking a bit top-heavy to me...
The "R" also looks top-heavy, so I think that's just the font style...!
DeathSlam likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
They were never likely to spend a fortune on it given they/ perhaps even the building itself is not likely to be there in 5-6 years time
watersign and rockflyertalk like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
They were never likely to spend a fortune on it given they/ perhaps even the building itself is not likely to be there in 5-6 years time
Sure, but it's not £52m well spent and it looks like a dire investment.
Given the way in which they are marketing this I would expect better.
I would also suspect that they must have lost business.
I switched my flights to EWR after giving up on going through JFK.
Then I moved to Delta and Virgin (after the 787 debacle) as I don't want to sit in the mess of JFK, which given traffic, in some circumstances you can find yourself having to spend a good amount of time there, if you are on the earlier flights.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC
has anyone gotten a copy/photo of the Brasserie menu and is it open for breakfast before the 07:55 flight?
Wembleygal likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by carat22
They spent £52m on upgrading facilities at JFK? I shudder to think how much Al Mourjan and Al Safwa would have cost!!
Old May 3, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
The "R" also looks top-heavy, so I think that's just the font style...!
Not so! It's a bit hard to tell from the angle of the photo, and the fact that it's... well, grass; not to mention, I haven't seen it in person myself. But below is a handy comparison chart for your convenience:

The difference is subtle, but I think it's there!
GogLobster and plunet like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:03 pm

Any idea when the CCR will reopen for 178?
Old May 3, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I don’t think this is an investment, hence why Cap’n Benj suggested that once they send in the builders to T7 and T8 it’s not worth pumping lots of money into a wonderful, luxury lounge! Which in my opinion clearly this is not (despite BAs PR). Yes I’ve only seen photos but having now seen all 3 new lounge designs, BA should sever their ties with this design company or at least ask them to reassess their design.

It lacks an identity whatsoever. It’s sadly a design concept that’s bland, plain and cheap. It’s certainly clean and new but there is no ‘British Airways’ DNA shining through here.

You could argue that it’s a new DNA and a new way forward but honestly you could stick a ‘WeWork’ ‘Ibis’ or even ‘Pret a Manger’ sign up in these areas and you wouldn’t know the difference. The classic BA blue A4 signage (you know those WiFi password signs etc) even looks out of place. Not because they are new and different but the classic BA blue A4 design looks dated and the lounge looks too alien to the BA brand.

I have dwelt on this because I wanted this new lounge concept to work. But sadly the FCO and ABZ lounges were pretty quiet on here in terms of commentary vs the new LGW South lounges which received great praise.

I don’t always take FT as gospel but this new design direction may work to fulfill the customer experience briefly but you can’t just hope that new and clean is enough and clearly FT has already been more negative towards this new JFK lounge than the thread for the LGW lounge which got lots of praise.

That to me says a lot, despite the constant rhetoric that FT is a minority and we aren't the majority, I do respect that, but somewhere along the line BA have got this creative process wrong. Sorry BA. Your investments have been very promising but this is not one of them! I do hope you’re saving the money for a even newer luxury lounge when the move happens at JFK.

Create a network of new lounges that marry your identity across the travel experience and scream I’m in a BA lounge not a “hmm I’m not sure, is this a TOG or WeWork or even ibis lobby?” Luxury it is not. More 3 star chic than 5 star opulence. Nice but not... oh wow!

Old May 3, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The £52m is for improvements across the whole of T7 not just the lounges and is a requirement of the lease BA has with the Port Authority knowing full well that it would have a limited lifespan because of the JFK reconfiguration project and a likely move as part of that to T8.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; May 3, 2019 at 5:23 pm
Old May 3, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Any details on the showers available? Does F side have showers now or have to go to the J side for a shower?
Old May 3, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Given the way in which they are marketing this I would expect better.
I would also suspect that they must have lost business.
I switched my flights to EWR after giving up on going through JFK.
Then I moved to Delta and Virgin (after the 787 debacle) as I don't want to sit in the mess of JFK, which given traffic, in some circumstances you can find yourself having to spend a good amount of time there, if you are on the earlier flights.
I have to say the EWR lounge re-furbed 5-6 years back is much nicer than those JFK pics look!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.