Wiki Posts
Search

LGW-FLL schedule cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
LGW-FLL schedule cancelled?

I know BA introduced the Fort Lauderdale route just to attempt to scupper Norwegian's plans..... BA have already cancelled flights on me this summer but now have cancelled all September, October and November flights. They have rebooked me onto MIA for the affected flights.

Does anyone know if the schedule is being cancelled permanently or being made seasonal etc?
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by greyt
I know BA introduced the Fort Lauderdale route just to attempt to scupper Norwegian's plans..... BA have already cancelled flights on me this summer but now have cancelled all September, October and November flights. They have rebooked me onto MIA for the affected flights.

Does anyone know if the schedule is being cancelled permanently or being made seasonal etc?
I can see it operating 3 x per week until 7th September. Nothing for the rest of September.

In October, only 3rd, 10th, 12th, 31st

In November a Full twice weekly schedule on Thurs and Sun.

Then 4 dates in December, Spuradic in January and then back to the normal 3 x weekly from February on Mon, Thurs and Sat.

Very odd pattern that's for sure.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Yes---I was booked to fly out of Fort Lauderdale on Monday 28th October and received the flight cancellation email this morning.
Managed to get rebooked on the BA206 out of Miami on the same day---I was a bit worried as I was flying on Avios miles and a 2-4-1 voucher but BA rebooked me despite there not showing any availability for redemption flights on that day.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by lydiamight
Yes---I was booked to fly out of Fort Lauderdale on Monday 28th October and received the flight cancellation email this morning.
Managed to get rebooked on the BA206 out of Miami on the same day---I was a bit worried as I was flying on Avios miles and a 2-4-1 voucher but BA rebooked me despite there not showing any availability for redemption flights on that day.
EU261 doesn't let them treat redemptions any differently.

Bear in mind (for anyone not yet rebooked) you could try and get yourself moved on to AA (the 77W flight preferably) if you wanted the novelty.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by george77300
I can see it operating 3 x per week until 7th September. Nothing for the rest of September.

In October, only 3rd, 10th, 12th, 31st

In November a Full twice weekly schedule on Thurs and Sun.

Then 4 dates in December, Spuradic in January and then back to the normal 3 x weekly from February on Mon, Thurs and Sat.

Very odd pattern that's for sure.
I was booked 15th - 22nd Feb (LGW-FLL) and got cancellation email this morning. Just called up and been switched to MIA. When I called and said I was calling about my flight cancellation email I was asked is that Fort Lauderdale, Bangkok or Madrid? (so they must have cancelled a bunch today).

I was told that from September FLL is being totally cancelled and options were either refund or rebook and I had the option to change dates and / or change to another airport in Florida (Orlando, Miami or Tampa). Also was told it was a one-time change only (so now I have changed I cannot go back and ask for another without paying a fee).

Not too unhappy with the changes as for me LHR is closer than LGW and the flight times are close enough to what I booked to FLL. The only downside is immigration at MIA but since we land at 14.15 local time I'm hoping it's not too bad (but I have had bad experiences there in the pas!t)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:05 am
iDo

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Gold, HHonors Gold.
Originally Posted by travellingowl
I was booked 15th - 22nd Feb (LGW-FLL) and got cancellation email this morning. Just called up and been switched to MIA. When I called and said I was calling about my flight cancellation email I was asked is that Fort Lauderdale, Bangkok or Madrid? (so they must have cancelled a bunch today).

I was told that from September FLL is being totally cancelled and options were either refund or rebook and I had the option to change dates and / or change to another airport in Florida (Orlando, Miami or Tampa). Also was told it was a one-time change only (so now I have changed I cannot go back and ask for another without paying a fee).

Not too unhappy with the changes as for me LHR is closer than LGW and the flight times are close enough to what I booked to FLL. The only downside is immigration at MIA but since we land at 14.15 local time I'm hoping it's not too bad (but I have had bad experiences there in the pas!t)
Immigration doesn't seem to bad in MIA these days. I was in the hotel in Downtown in less than an hour after doors open, despite having luggage and the automated passport machines not operating.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Also was told it was a one-time change only (so now I have changed I cannot go back and ask for another without paying a fee).
It's good that you highlight this, since it is a standard condition in all sorts of similar changes, one involuntary change only. And it's to do with the fact that (presumably) you bought an inflexible ticket, so BA revenue bods get a bit miffed if people start adding flexibility. It's not completely black-and-white, a second bite of the cherry can be approved by a supervisor if there is a good reason but there is a case of not rushing to get a replacement set of arrangements without thinking it through a bit.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:27 am
Suspended

...The only downside is immigration at MIA but since we land at 14.15 local time I'm hoping it's not too bad (but I have had bad experiences there in the pas!t)
Immigration has changed at DEN, BOS, MIA, best to leave those bad experiences in the past.

BA207 can be the first heavy from Europe to arrive at MIA, making those first off well ahead of any queues.
tynmar likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
As has been said, MIA immigration is a joy these days! Can't believe I'm saying it, but I've been through a couple of times in the past few months and daughter last November and she said it was 2 minutes then too. Fear not!
rossmacd, mike&co and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:45 am

Just had the BA twitter feed confirmation that FLL from 09 Sept for commercial reasons
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
BA FLL/LGW cancelled 27 Jan 2020

Originally Posted by lydiamight
Managed to get rebooked on the BA206 out of Miami on the same day
Received the same email today (25 Apl) as others have.
Rebooked MIA/LHR on BA206. I was half expecting to pay a fare difference . When I originally booked, routing MIA/LHR/EDI was going to be slightly more expensive in CW (cheapest!) compared with FLL/LGW/EDI. The FLL departure was originally chosen on price. Timings on re-booked flights not a significant issue and at least there is a Lounge facility at MIA - nothing for BA at FLL! (as far as I know)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Executive Club
Question

I have also been cancelled and rebooked onto the 209 from Heathrow. I questioned whether BA was providing transport from MIA to FLL and was told that they were not. I did mention the EU Regs and said I thought they had to do this but was told by the agent that he didn't think they were but he could check. I said I wanted to get the new seats booked and come back to him. Anyone got any thoughts?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

Last time I flew LGW-FLL we arrived just after some other international flights (I guess Caribbean/Central America as there were 100s of Spanish speaking people in the queue in front of us) and immigration was rammed, took 1+ hour to get through, so MIA might not be a worse option!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by richardwft

Immigration has changed at DEN, BOS, MIA, best to leave those bad experiences in the past.

BA207 can be the first heavy from Europe to arrive at MIA, making those first off well ahead of any queues.
I made it from plane door to cab in just over 10 minutes at MIA a couple of days before Christmas, and we had checked bags. Granted we were in F and first off the plane, plus it seemed deserted in the arrivals hall, but this is way better than experiences of years gone by.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by JamieABZ
As has been said, MIA immigration is a joy these days! Can't believe I'm saying it, but I've been through a couple of times in the past few months and daughter last November and she said it was 2 minutes then too. Fear not!
Agree, we were recently in Miami and it was seamless. Try Atlanta, there two weeks ago and it was chaotic. Long queues and taking forever to process. Secondary screening was in full swing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.