Smoothies ‘enhanced’ !

Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Question : If you cannot wash / clean a glass made of glass, what does it do to the stomach etc ? The linings there are delicate.
We drink fruit smoothies at home regularly

SO perhaps we need to look at the list of ingrdients !, never a problem with washing glasses !
1) Glasses and attached material dries out, your gastrointestinal tract (generally) does not.

2) Most smoothie glasses at home will probably be rinsed at a minimum a short time after use. I suspect the BA ones go straight into a drawer where sit for quite a while, up to day or more (think throughout an entire return trip) and are then offloaded, and then sit waiting in a processing queue somewhere, before seeing any kind of water or anything else that may help the cleaning process. And I suspect they aren't soaked for any length of time, which is a contributing factor in BA's case. Most fruits have some chemicals that can make a pretty good binding agent!

rb211.

Last edited by RB211; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:38 pm Reason: Slight adjustment!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
People actually enjoy those smoothies?

News to me - any smoothie I've ever tried on an airplane, BA or otherwise, has been vile.
Yep they do. Every single one I’ve had on my CW flights since the new catering launched have been fantastic.
KARFA and redrose59 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The energisers are a bright spot of the BA breakfast and CE catering in general. As others have noted significant nicer than the cheap orange juice.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
If everyone just stole their used smoothie glass, there wouldn’t be a washing up problem 😀
dorothyr and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Out of interest what are the take away coffee chains in the UK using nowadays?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They seem to be sensitive to the environmental pressures. So for example I got an email from Costa Coffee today, reiterating that they will recycle all paper cups handed into their stores, including those from rival companies. They also give a 25 pence reduction off their drinks if you bring your own cup with you.
And to add to this, Pret are giving 50p off. Caffe Nero give an extra stamp on their loyalty card which is worth approx 25-35p depending on how you look at it/what you spend it on.

Originally Posted by subject2load
@ c-w-s - yes , andworth adding that their ‘sensitivity’ (ie that of Costa et al) has only come about because of fierce campaigning and shaming from those interested in the cause.

There was a time when the big chains seemed complacent about the whole issue and were prepared to do very little, as this piece (albeit now a few years old) illustrates
Agreed.

BA seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place on this one. The smoothies are clearly very popular. Washing the glasses has to be the most environmentally-friendly, and possibly the most cost effective way of providing the drink container. The only thing I can think of, without hand-washing each glass (or hand pre-washing), is to separate the smoothie glasses and pre-soak them as part of the washing processing. Tricky one.
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by Flexible preferences; Apr 26, 2019 at 2:05 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
They also give a 25 pence reduction off their drinks if you bring your own cup with you.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
That's an excellent idea. ^
Yes, and here we have the solution to BA's problem right there. A 25 pence refund to pax who bring their own smoothie cups (and maybe 50p in F).
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:53 am

They also give a 25 pence reduction off their drinks if you bring your own cup with you.
Something similar to this should be beginning on BOB within the next couple of months or so.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am currently flying over Săo Paulo State on YMMU to Argentina , and I can smell that breakfast is about 10 minute off. I ordered the blueberry. banana smoothie on the breakfast card.

Should I thoroughly hand wash the glass after consumption?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:27 am

I am currently flying over Săo Paulo State on YMMU to Argentina , and I can smell that breakfast is about 10 minute off. I ordered the blueberry. banana smoothie on the breakfast card.

No! Thoroughly hand wash it before they pour the smoothie in. Do keep up please.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A live smoothie report. It's actually quite a bumpy flight, so the cabin crew had difficulty pouring it. Where a thin layer has dried out on the glass it has a treacle like texture and quite difficult ro shift, and even after trying there is a residual smeer.

flygirl68, HMPS, DeathSlam and 2 others like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 26, 2019 at 4:07 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Fascinating that the BA board gets so animated about smoothies... QR, which I know many of you use, replaced smoothies with cold pressed juice (carrot, melon, etc) a year or two ago - no idea why - and literally not a mention from any of you!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC
The smoothie has been on the menu for quite a long time, I think? Rather at a loss as to what they have been doing with the glasses for the past few years - surely not thrown away?!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
The smoothie has been on the menu for quite a long time, I think? Rather at a loss as to what they have been doing with the glasses for the past few years - surely not thrown away?!
I would guess they've gone through the normal dishwashing process, but BA have realised they are getting a lot of complaints about dirty champagne glasses, and the smoothies are getting the blame.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
To be fair, they are very difficult to clean once the stuff has dried in.
My local from many years ago had a rotating brush glass cleaning machine. It was like a lemon juicer in design but squirted warm water in whilst in operation. That could clean anything according to the bar staff. Might be something to investigate before throwing the smoothie out with the bathwater.. I do appreciate BA need to have sparkling glasswear or risk a complaint meltdown on here

Last edited by Jimmie76; Apr 26, 2019 at 7:14 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's raining here the now so just leave it out on the apron at EZE.
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.