Wiki Posts
Search

Today’s TP puzzle is:

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Today’s TP puzzle is:

For an upcoming flight – crediting an AA booking to my BAEC (forget miles/avios, TPs are the critical issue):

Original booking:
AA BWI-ORB-SEA then SEA-DFW-BWI
Which is 620/1710 then 1660/1210 miles
Booking class VV then VV (economy)

This has now changed to:
AA BWI-ORB-SEA then SEA-CLT-BWI
Which is 620/1710 then 2270/361 miles
Booking class VV then LQ (economy)

My basic calculations this should have resulted in
Old booking: 10/10 then 10/10 TPs (all flights <2000 miles);
New booking: 10/10 then 35/5 TPs (3<2000 miles, but 1 >2000 miles).

Correct? – I should be better off, although one question: if AA rebooks me, should the rebooking at the same or higher booking class?

(By booking class = fare code?).
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
You should be better off. If not, you can ask for BA to credit the original mileage on the ticket you purchased - after you have taken the flight and can see what it has credited. So you do not loose as long as the flights are acceptable to you.

IN my experience, AA will rebook you into whatever class in the correct cabin there system feels like. Sometimes you can benefit significantly such as full Y (esp when done at the airport with limited availability) other times it can pick a lower class depending on what is available (thanks QF for rebooking me into an award bucket!). The underlying fare rules should still apply.

Booking class does does not always equal fare code. I find QR manage my booking to be helpful as it will show the booking code.

KF
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
You should be better off. If not, you can ask for BA to credit the original mileage on the ticket you purchased - after you have taken the flight and can see what it has credited. So you do not loose as long as the flights are acceptable to you....
My understanding from what the OP has written is this reroute relates to a schedule change prior to travel.

Original routing credit (ORC) typically applies to reroutes due to IRROPS during the journey and doesn’t apply where the pax accepts a reroute because of a schedule change in advance of travel.
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
When it comes to crossing the USA continent, ORD and DFW are generally bad news, they almost always bring things below 2000 miles. There are exceptions, eg DFW-ANC. CLT and PHL are good news, PHX you have to watch. But in this situation you need do nothing, the higher TPs will be allocated automatically and I'd take a swap from ORD to CLT even without the TPs, a much better place to transit.
george77300 and VSLover like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
The flights changes were due to the usual American carriers changing the schedules - these flights were booked 2 months ahead, and 3 out of the 4 sectors changed (two of which changed twice!)

For me, at BWI, PHX is only 1996 miles - so 4 miles under that magic 2000 mile threshold for higher TPs - a pain, not least since inevitably the actual flight will always be greater than 1996 miles! For E-W coast internal flights I usually try and connect through CLT, failing that PHL... .
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by CKBA
For an upcoming flight – crediting an AA booking to my BAEC (forget miles/avios, TPs are the critical issue):

Original booking:
AA BWI-ORB-SEA then SEA-DFW-BWI
Which is 620/1710 then 1660/1210 miles
Booking class VV then VV (economy)

This has now changed to:
AA BWI-ORB-SEA then SEA-CLT-BWI
Which is 620/1710 then 2270/361 miles
Booking class VV then LQ (economy)

My basic calculations this should have resulted in
Old booking: 10/10 then 10/10 TPs (all flights <2000 miles);
New booking: 10/10 then 35/5 TPs (3<2000 miles, but 1 >2000 miles).

Correct? – I should be better off, although one question: if AA rebooks me, should the rebooking at the same or higher booking class?

(By booking class = fare code?).
You are better off in total TP-wise, mainly due to getting one segment >2K miles, but L and V earn the same category TPs. Getting Q on your last segment does, exactly as you stated, reduce earnings from 10 to 5 TP. If an extra 5 TP would actually be of importance for you, i.e. result in hitting a higher BAEC level, you might try to call AA and just say you have no complaints of the new route, but the lower fare class on the last sement reduces your TP earning. Just don't comment on the better TP outcome on the previous segment. The AAgent you'll be talking to will have very reduced, if any at all, knowledge of TP. They are , however, well updated on different fare classes, and having a polite question, with a plausible reason for a change, may score.

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
You should be better off. If not, you can ask for BA to credit the original mileage on the ticket you purchased - after you have taken the flight and can see what it has credited. So you do not loose as long as the flights are acceptable to you.

IN my experience, AA will rebook you into whatever class in the correct cabin there system feels like. Sometimes you can benefit significantly such as full Y (esp when done at the airport with limited availability) other times it can pick a lower class depending on what is available (thanks QF for rebooking me into an award bucket!). The underlying fare rules should still apply.

Booking class does does not always equal fare code. I find QR manage my booking to be helpful as it will show the booking code.

KF
Having been re-scheduled and re-routed by AA so many times I've lost count. In November 2018, I had 14 changes on a 8-segment reservation, whereof 7 (seven!) were just for one segment. IME, just as you say, occasionally you win because even if changes are sometimes in the future, if your original fare class is not available on the flight offered, they will happily place you in a higher class, just to get you into a seat in the same type of cabin.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
When it comes to crossing the USA continent, ORD and DFW are generally bad news, they almost always bring things below 2000 miles. There are exceptions, eg DFW-ANC. CLT and PHL are good news, PHX you have to watch. But in this situation you need do nothing, the higher TPs will be allocated automatically and I'd take a swap from ORD to CLT even without the TPs, a much better place to transit.
Absolutely, but there are also flights ORD-SJU, 2072 miles. If one anyhow managed to transit in DFW, there is, besides ANC, also flights to the main Hawaiian destinations HNL, OGG and KOA. At least the first two have lie-flats in 1+2+1 config on 777s. For some reason I got stuck when trying to search also for KOA, but if there is no 777 out of there, there is the possibility of an OJ back from HNL, with a short Island hop with Hawaiian Airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.