LHR-MAD , BA or IB in J

Old Apr 24, 19, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
LHR-MAD , BA or IB in J

Are both pretty much the same service? BA flies the 320 IB the 321.

Thank you.
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Are both pretty much the same service? BA flies the 320 IB the 321.

Thank you.
You can get a longhaul configured BA 777 on the 1320 departure (BA 460). (Also IB have a 330/340/350 on one of the evening flights IB 3167)

Also in general I have found the food far better on BA in Club Europe. Service more consistent too. But yes very similar in a blocked seat on the A320 family flights.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Slight differences as itís 2 different airlines but yes ultimately the same seats. Unless you get the BA 777 so a Club World Seat vs CE seat on the 320. OR IB fly an A340 so again you get a long haul business class seat.

Others may have more to add.
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
The food of course depends to some extent on your personal taste, though since MAD got promoted to Band 3 (unconnected of course to the many IAG staff found on the route...), BA catering probably does have the edge (despite loading a different dish to the one on the menu for my last flight ).

Outside row 1 or exit rows, IB business class has better seat pitch and therefore knee/legroom.

IB narrowbody flights have the benefit of arriving/departing at T4 main in MAD and avoiding the tedium of the shuttle train to/from T4S. This is particularly useful if you have a shortish domestic/ Schengen connection in MAD. On the flip side, if departing MAD-LHR, the Velazquez lounge in T4S is better than the Dali in T4.

if you take the widebody flights, they will all use T4S, on BA you have the chance of FLUB when a 4 class is used. Neither will be a trial for a two hour flight. I quite like the PE seats on the IB aircraft when booked into economy, though the cabin layout for PE on the A350 is a bit unusual. IB also turns on the IFE on the widebodies, whereas BA does not (on last flight the CSM announced that this was because BA didn’t pay for licensing rights on short haul, no idea if this is true).

So it depends what your needs and preferences are, really. Overall both are ok and I book according to schedule rather than which airline, though may be influenced slightly if there is a widebody (of either carrier) as a choice near my preferred travel time. I do miss the BA flights from LCY.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Apr 24, 19 at 3:42 pm Reason: Add IFE info
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Two other cents worth.. Passengers on Iberia do tend to recline their business seats and the breakfast is rather miss than hit IMHO.
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
BA has champagne, IB has fairly nasty cava.

I share the opinion above that the food on this route is much nicer on BA than IB.
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Two other cents worth.. Passengers on Iberia do tend to recline their business seats and the breakfast is rather miss than hit IMHO.
If they sat up straight they'd be much easier to hit.
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Another factor to consider is if you are connecting into another service. If longhaul then BA is better, domestic Spanish then Iberia, in general terms. This is due to how BA uses the Satellite terminal in MAD, whereas usually Iberia is on the main building. MCT can be lower on Iberia as a result.
Cerebrito likes this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:38 pm

Also worth noting IB caters breakfast on departures before 1100 whereas BA moves from breakfast to the rest of day menu after 1000. The IB breakfast service within Europe is also significantly inferior to the BA offering IMO - No menu card, no choice of hot main, floppy toast and croissants in the bread basket, nasty coffee. That's pretty much the service I experienced.
Old Apr 24, 19, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good info thanks. I’m spending the night at the Madrid Hilton and will grab a late night bite there. I’m then taking MAD-ORD-DFW the next morning. I’m not interested in any food, evening or late afternoon departure and love the 346 so thanks for that tip. I’m a beer drinker so what options each carrier offers is important to me.
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I booked the 346 to LHR on IB (3167). Does anyone know if the plane will disembark forward of seat 1 or more aft behind row 12? I want to be off the plane as quick as possible and get to my hotel.

Thanks
Old Apr 25, 19, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver, HHonors: Silver, Virgin Flying Club: Red, Miles & More
I've recently done both the BA 777 and IB A350, and am in the process of publishing flight review videos for my YouTube channel.

BA definitely had the edge with the catering in Club Europe, but I preferred the business class seat on Iberia. Also Iberia had the IFE switched on, whereas BA didn't. I believe this is due to licensing.
Old Apr 25, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I booked the 346 to LHR on IB (3167). Does anyone know if the plane will disembark forward of seat 1 or more aft behind row 12? I want to be off the plane as quick as possible and get to my hotel.

Thanks
You said 3167 so I assume you mean to MAD and not LHR.

I flew it on the A346 last month. They arrived at MAD T4S and used two air bridges. Both ahead of Row 1 for Business Pax and at Door 2 (Behind Row 12) for Economy pax.

You should be off first seated in 1A.
Old Apr 25, 19, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by george77300 View Post
You said 3167 so I assume you mean to MAD and not LHR.

I flew it on the A346 last month. They arrived at MAD T4S and used two air bridges. Both ahead of Row 1 for Business Pax and at Door 2 (Behind Row 12) for Economy pax.

You should be off first seated in 1A.
Yes MAD my bad.

Thanks for the advise! Hopefully I can be at the Hilton in no time at all.
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for the advise! Hopefully I can be at the Hilton in no time at all.
I use that Hilton. It is a few KM from the terminal building. Best to assume an hour from doors opening so as to be pleasantly surprised if it takes less.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: