Search

SJC - BA to AA connection how long ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
SJC - BA to AA connection how long ?

Hello

Last week (or maybe the one before) I got a wave of flight changes from AA. I have an upcoming flight in July LHR to SJC and at SJC I am connecting onto AA.

I originally booked leaving myself 4 hours connection time but AA have moved my connecting flight to an earlier time so now I have exactly 3 hours from ETA of my BA flight (279) to my connection with AA (6059).

Is this going to be enough time ?

As I booked on separate tickets I assume I will have to pass immigration, collect my bags l, re-check my bags and then pass security again.

I don’t think it makes any difference but my flight to SJC with BA is in F and my connection with AA is in domestic first class.

Is there any chance for BA to check my baggage through to my final destination which is LAX ?

thanks !
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I don't know about SJC specifically - I'd say 3 hours is probably enough to make a decent connection at most places: SJC being a smaller airport with fewer international flights to clog up immigration, I'd guess you are probably OK if your BA flight is on time...

You will have to clear immigration, collect checked luggage and pass customs, then re-check bags. This would the same on a single connecting ticket, by the way - just how it works on arrival into the US. I suspect it therefore will not make much difference whether BA tag your bags to LAX or not. I would think they will not, if it's a separate ticket.
nshep likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I did BA SJC to a Delta flight to LAS - HBO in an hour - it's a great airport
nshep likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Expert Flyer:

Minimum Connect Times

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.00
OFFLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
BA-AA ID 1.30 ALL - FLT 1 - 6099
BA-** ID 2.00
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold

Is there any chance for BA to check my baggage through to my final destination which is LAX ?

thanks !
[/QUOTE]

If it is 1 ticket your luggage will be checked through. However USA requires customs clearance at first arrival therefore after customs you will re-deposit luggage (same bag tag). On separate tickets I doubt BA will give you bag tag to LAX (or anyplace). Therefore you will already have claimed your luggage but instead of a bag drop will have to check in at AA counter.
nshep likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It probably doesn’t matter in this case as you’ve left yourself a lot of time, but you don’t have a connection, published MCT is not relevant, and BA won’t tag your bag to LAX.
etiene, ajeleonard and nshep like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:32 am

3 hours is plenty at SJC if your inbound is on time and as your are in F the immigration queue will likely be empty when you get to it.

Based on my last arrival there I would estimate a 15 - 20 minute wait for bags (I'll try and time them next week if I can remember) and then customs is really quick too.
nshep likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. BA will not by policy check your bags across tickets because you are not connecting (can only occur on one ticket).
2. But, it does not make any significant difference as you will nonetheless be processed by CBP (both immigration & customs) on arrival at SJC. If your bag is checked through, you would simply drop it post CBP, head through security and off to your AA gate. If not checked, you will need to stand in line for 3-4 minutes while new tags are applied.
3. Unlike almost all other carriers, AA will rebook you across separate tickets AA-AA, AA-OW and OW-AA. Thus, if you do miss your onwards AA flight, you will be rebooked. You have not supplied your destination, so hard to say what that means, but it will be the next available flight with F availability (or in Y if you prefer to travel sooner and F is full). The only real difference on separate tickets is that you will be on your own at SJC. If you must overnight, the cost of a hotel will be yours.

Do note that even if it is BA which causes your delay, it is AA which voluntarily provides this rebooking service, so you must ask AA and will need a paper printout of your BA e-ticket receipt to speed things along.
nshep likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Often1
You have not supplied your destination, so hard to say what that means...
Originally Posted by nshep
Um....yes s/he did. You seem to have a habit of not reading posts
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I agree with Steve_ZA, 3 hours should be plenty of time. The only caution is that this is a smaller airport with small immigration/customs. They only have a few international flights (ANA, BA, Hainan, several Mexico flights) but if multiple planes land at the same time, it could take longer. 3 hours should still be enough. Just know that once you are into the terminal, it is at most 5 minutes to your gate.

BA usually uses gate 17 or 18. After Immigration/Customs/Bag Re-Check/Security, take the stairs up to the departure terminal. It will dump you around gate 14. Go right as American usual uses gates in the single digits.
nshep likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Thanks for all the replies!
Old May 5, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Based on my last arrival there I would estimate a 15 - 20 minute wait for bags (I'll try and time them next week if I can remember) and then customs is really quick too.
I didn't get the exact time but all bags were delivered within about 40 minutes of doors open. Immigration was very slow with only a single desk for all non-Global Entry arrivals, my colleagues who sat at the back of WT took an hour to get through.
nshep likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA, Lufthansa, Virgin, Southwest, Marriot, Accorhotels, Hilton
I have Global Entry and I timed how long it took me from the moment we landed to when I got my bag (flew in F). I got my bag in less than 35 minutes. You can make it with no problem unless flight is late from LHR which has not been my experience so far.
nshep likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.