Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Change inbound leg of Avios upgrade ticket after outbound flown?

Old Apr 24, 19, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I have been reading conflicting reports of what is possible with Avios return tickets and changing the inbound after outbound has been flown.

It seems if it is a straight Avios ticket via BA, it is possible. But if it is a Avios ticket booked through the now defunct travel programme, is it not possible?

I have just had an agent cite that is the reason it cannot be changed, but last night I had another agent cite a different reason, so I'm looking for clarification.
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by vand_hk View Post
I have been reading conflicting reports of what is possible with Avios return tickets and changing the inbound after outbound has been flown.

It seems if it is a straight Avios ticket via BA, it is possible. But if it is a Avios ticket booked through the now defunct travel programme, is it not possible?

I have just had an agent cite that is the reason it cannot be changed, but last night I had another agent cite a different reason, so I'm looking for clarification.
As per the BA booking page:
Time/date changes permitted up to 24 hours before your first flight
I am not aware of the defunct travel programme rules, but at BAEC Avios bookings this is the reason I book my outbound and inbound flight seperate.

In short, you can not make changes to avios bookings if you have already started your journey or if it is within 24 hours of the start. The start is seen as the beginning of the first sector in the entire booking.

Globalist
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:48 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
What do you want to change? A different date or a different destination within the same avios band should be possible.

avios.com is not actually defunct: your account is closed but can actually be reactivated if they accept the need.
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Globalist View Post
In short, you can not make changes to avios bookings if you have already started your journey or if it is within 24 hours of the start. The start is seen as the beginning of the first sector in the entire booking.
I think it is now true that if you have booked a round-trip award ticket through BAEC, then you are permitted to change the inbound booking until 24 hours before the time of that flight. Strictly speaking, the T&Cs continue to prohibit that, but in practice I think that BAEC allows it. The cancellation rule continues to be applied strictly (the deadline being 24 hours before the first flight in the itinerary).

I think that the OP's question is whether the position is different if the award ticket was booked via avios.com. However, I'm not sure about that because the thread title is "Change inbound leg of Avios upgrade ticket", suggesting that Avios were used to upgrade a flight rather than just to obtain an award ticket. So I'm a little confused. And we don't know what the proposed change is.
Old Apr 24, 19, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies all. To clarify:

This is a ticket booked purely with Avios via the defunct travel programme and the upgrade is using a Lloyds voucher to go from PE to Club.

The change being requested is a date change. I have been speaking to Avios travel programme agents who will still administer changes to existing bookings.

And @Globaliser yes you are correct - I'm trying to figure out if there are different rules applied to pure BA Avios bookings, and those that were originally booked under Avios travel.
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:05 am

The avios.com T&Cs are unhelpful to you:

G.5.13. Changes to bookings for Reward travel on flights operated by Airline Partners are permitted via our Customer Services Department only in respect of date, time, class and service. Such changes may only be made by the Member or an individual nominated in accordance with Section B.4.6. If more than one price option is available for a flight, it is not possible to change the price option chosen by a Member after a booking has been made. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and may not be made after the time 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward travel itinerary. Unless otherwise stated a per person fee of 35 will be payable for each permitted change. For the avoidance of doubt, name changes are not permitted.

That said, I'm surprised your avios.com booking would be treated differently. The BAEC T&Cs used to say the same thing but it was not enforced for years and years and then they loosened the rules officially. Now that the agents handle both avios.com and BAEC calls, it would seem likely they would process them differently, but if there is a different system creating a restriction, it's hard to think what you can do.
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks @pauldb .. yeah, that was what I was picking up, that BAEC didn't seem to enforce this now. Frustrating! Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 30, 20, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by pauldb View Post
The avios.com T&Cs are unhelpful to you:

G.5.13. Changes to bookings for Reward travel on flights operated by Airline Partners are permitted via our Customer Services Department only in respect of date, time, class and service. Such changes may only be made by the Member or an individual nominated in accordance with Section B.4.6. If more than one price option is available for a flight, it is not possible to change the price option chosen by a Member after a booking has been made. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and may not be made after the time 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward travel itinerary. Unless otherwise stated a per person fee of 35 will be payable for each permitted change. For the avoidance of doubt, name changes are not permitted.

That said, I'm surprised your avios.com booking would be treated differently. The BAEC T&Cs used to say the same thing but it was not enforced for years and years and then they loosened the rules officially. Now that the agents handle both avios.com and BAEC calls, it would seem likely they would process them differently, but if there is a different system creating a restriction, it's hard to think what you can do.
Anyone has more recent experience with this? I just tried changing the inbound once the outbound has been flown, and the agent insisted that this is not possible (this is an Avios Lloyds upgrade voucher booking). I had always been under the impression that once the outbound has been flown, cancellation is no longer permitted but changes are fine up until T-24 before the inbound, as long as there is availability.
Old Jan 30, 20, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by mec72 View Post
Anyone has more recent experience with this? I just tried changing the inbound once the outbound has been flown, and the agent insisted that this is not possible (this is an Avios Lloyds upgrade voucher booking). I had always been under the impression that once the outbound has been flown, cancellation is no longer permitted but changes are fine up until T-24 before the inbound, as long as there is availability.
Are you talking about an avios.com or BA Executive Club booking, and is it just a date change or something more?
Old Jan 30, 20, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb View Post
Are you talking about an avios.com or BA Executive Club booking, and is it just a date change or something more?
Just a date change. Same route, same class otherwise. It's an Avios.com booking combined with a Lloyds voucher.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: