Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Latam with Avios

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Booking Latam with Avios

Years ago I was booking with Avios on Lan and I had a lot of issues with phantom availability....although there were times I was successful as well. I was wondering if this is something that is still a current issue?

I see some flights I'd like to book but I'm hesitate to transfer 150k miles from AmEx if the phantom issue is still going on.

Has anyone had any recent experience booking on Lan with Avios?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
You could always call and ask an EC agent to confirm that they see the flights you see... before you transfer.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by hedylarue
Has anyone had any recent experience booking on Lan with Avios?
Yes. Booked (a few months ago) and flew (about 5 weeks ago) IPC-PPT: booked on ba.com as a 125 ticket. Apart from the issue of phantom availability, there were also scare stories online about LATAM arbitrarily cancelling and refunding redemption bookings, which would have been really nasty given the once-weekly flights and lack of competition or alternatives.) As it worked out we had no problem booking or flying.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
You should be ok this early in the year. As the Avios redemption caps for some routes get reached, you'll notice those routes will lose all availability for fairly significant time periods. Or atleast that's how i understand Latam works and it's why availability goes from 7 seats for every flight all year to none the very next day.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by email2markt
You should be ok this early in the year. As the Avios redemption caps for some routes get reached, you'll notice those routes will lose all availability for fairly significant time periods. Or atleast that's how i understand Latam works and it's why availability goes from 7 seats for every flight all year to none the very next day.
I was wondering why I always see a ton of availability early in the year but none at the end...this explains it.

I was able to book one way with AA miles successfully using the BA tool so I think I'm going to go for it.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Update: I successfully booked the LATAM ticket through BA with no issues - thanks everyone!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.