FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR Terminal logistics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1966607-lhr-terminal-logistics.html)

g1ant Apr 23, 2019 8:32 am

LHR Terminal logistics

I have a flight in F to Vancouver in May. I didn’t realize until today that it departs from Terminal 3. I connect from Leeds into T5 earlier in the day and was planning a visit to the Concorde Room.
When I arrive at LHR will they force me to transit straight to T3 or will I be allowed to enter T5 and transfer later in the afternoon ?

KARFA Apr 23, 2019 8:39 am

Hi. Unfortunately you will not be able to go in the airside departures area in T5 where the CCR is unless you have a bp for a flight departing T5. Your only choices are to go to flight connections and to the airside bus to T3, or to follow the yellow signs for arrivals which will take you landside. There is some more information in the connection guide linked to in the dashboard if you need any details on the connection.

In T3 you can use any of the AA/BA/CX F lounges, or the QF lounge.

Ldnn1 Apr 23, 2019 8:41 am

This question has cropped up a lot over the past couple of weeks. I presume just coincidence but seems a strangely live issue.

UKtravelbear Apr 23, 2019 8:42 am

You won't get access to the CCR - see these recent posts asking the same question

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...de-lounge.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...visit-ccr.html

florens Apr 23, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31028816)
Hi. Unfortunately you will not be able to go in the airside departures area in T5 where the CCR is unless you have a bp for a flight departing T5. Your only choices are to go to flight connections and to the airside bus to T3, or to follow the yellow signs for arrivals which will take you landside. There is some more information in the connection guide linked to in the dashboard if you need any details on the connection.

In T3 you can use any of the AA/BA/CX F lounges, or the QR lounge.

The QR lounge is not in T3 though. I think you mean the QF lounge.

g1ant Apr 23, 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31028816)

In T3 you can use any of the AA/BA/CX F lounges, or the QR lounge.

I suspected as much. It looks like I’ll be paying a visit to the CX F lounge for the first time. No big deal.
I had breakfast with you a few years ago in the CCR on one of your hop throughs from Dublin.

KARFA Apr 23, 2019 8:53 am

Originally Posted by florens (Post 31028857)
The QR lounge is not in T3 though. I think you mean the QF lounge.

Well done you have passed the test - a deliberate error to check who is paying attention ;)

now amended my post

corporate-wage-slave Apr 23, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 31028824)
This question has cropped up a lot over the past couple of weeks. I presume just coincidence but seems a strangely live issue.

Yes, I was thinking that too. I'm guessing it's a combination of less-frequent travellers being limbering up to travel at this stage, and also the various deals going for First at the moment. Someone in the Concorde Team yesterday said that they thought numbers were well up on a year ago.

KARFA Apr 23, 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 31028870)
I had breakfast with you a few years ago in the CCR on one of your hop throughs from Dublin.

Of course I remember now. Hopefully will bump in to you again sometime soon :)

g1ant Apr 23, 2019 9:14 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31028897)
Yes, I was thinking that too. I'm guessing it's a combination of less-frequent travellers being limbering up to travel at this stage, and also the various deals going for First at the moment. Someone in the Concorde Team yesterday said that they thought numbers were well up on a year ago.

In my case, I’m far from being an infrequent traveller. I just made a very rookie mistake of assuming that all BA longhaul went out of T5 these days.
It wasn’t till I talked to BA about booking a spa treatment that I found out I’m out of T3. Oops.
Not the first time I’ve done LHR-YVR either!!

HarryHolden68 Apr 24, 2019 5:50 am

Given that this has cropped up on here a fair bit this year, it seems to be a concern for a number of First travellers. I had a CEO who always said that if you wanted to do something, really wanted to do something, you would find a way. The rest of the time, you find an excuse.

The First product from T3 is inferior to the T5 product. If BA "really" wanted to add further value to the First product from T3, is it really beyond them to allow all F passengers to enter T5 to use the CCR and then use the Jaguars for an air side transfer direct to the aircraft? I imagine most would not take them up on it. Perhaps it could be a booked service similar through You First, similar to booking an Elemis treatment.so demand can be managed. It may even be a precursor to a full on LH ,model of this service for all First passengers. On BA, from lounge to aircraft is a weak link in the First product in most airports, especially the home bases.

As I said, it seems to be important to a number of First passengers flying from T3. If BA "wanted" to do it, I am sure it is not beyond the wit of invention.

fruitcage Apr 24, 2019 6:26 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68 (Post 31031973)
Given that this has cropped up on here a fair bit this year, it seems to be a concern for a number of First travellers. I had a CEO who always said that if you wanted to do something, really wanted to do something, you would find a way. The rest of the time, you find an excuse.

The First product from T3 is inferior to the T5 product. If BA "really" wanted to add further value to the First product from T3, is it really beyond them to allow all F passengers to enter T5 to use the CCR and then use the Jaguars for an air side transfer direct to the aircraft? I imagine most would not take them up on it. Perhaps it could be a booked service similar through You First, similar to booking an Elemis treatment.so demand can be managed. It may even be a precursor to a full on LH ,model of this service for all First passengers. On BA, from lounge to aircraft is a weak link in the First product in most airports, especially the home bases.

As I said, it seems to be important to a number of First passengers flying from T3. If BA "wanted" to do it, I am sure it is not beyond the wit of invention.

While clearly anything is possible with sufficient motivation, I suspect that letting T3 pax through T5 security would require a significant change to HAL’s systems. It would probably be easier and better for customers just to create another CCR-style lounge in T3.

rossmacd Apr 24, 2019 6:30 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68 (Post 31031973)

Originally Posted by fruitcage (Post 31032051)
While clearly anything is possible with sufficient motivation, I suspect that letting T3 pax through T5 security would require a significant change to HAL’s systems. It would probably be easier and better for customers just to create another CCR-style lounge in T3.

Or just use the already excellent CX F lounge that, in some people's opinion including my own, is better than the T5 CCR? :confused:

corporate-wage-slave Apr 24, 2019 6:36 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage (Post 31032051)

BA does already offer this service to VVIPs, and there is also the domestic transfers to T3 where the Jags go to the BA bus gates in T3. This allows a transfer without needing another security check, and avoids issues if the T3 gate isn't ready - passengers are placed directly airside and can go off to the lounge or gate. So there could be a shuttle from A10 to T3 either on demand or according to a timetable. The problem is how to handle this within Ready to Fly since all passengers airside in T5 should have a current T5 boarding pass - I think BA are OK with one or two exceptions per day, but not for dozens of passengers. The Concorde Team is aware that many T3 passengers would prefer to use CCR.

HarryHolden68 Apr 24, 2019 6:37 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 31032064)
Or just use the already excellent CX F lounge that, in some people's opinion including my own, is better than the T5 CCR? :confused:

I've tried it twice, once when it was empty, once when it was pretty much full. Didn't enjoy either experience. It's ok as such, but too small with nowhere to hide out of the way and far from relaxing for me.
Also, no cabanas (not for everyone I know but still absent), no terrace, no table service in seating area and somewhat standoffish service in the dining area.
Noodles were nothing special - I think my local Chinese takeaway does them better.

I do not know if I am in a minority of one here, but I do not think the CX lounge is anything special to get excited about.