BA2579 - Am I going mad?

Old Apr 22, 19, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

BA2579 - Am I going mad?

Hi all,

Strange occurance for me on BA2579 Turin to London Gatwick on Sunday 21st April.

After a quick and uneventful flight, we started to circle around Brighton (just one complete circle). A few seconds into the turn, the engines roared up to what felt and sounded like takeoff power, and the nose seemed to pitch up a fair bit. You was really pushed into your seat.

We then saw what looked like another aircraft pass rather close out of the window. Now I'm sure it was nothing, but something just didn't feel right. I fly pretty regularly and this was the first time I've felt this nervous .

Upon landing, the pilots stayed inside the cockpit and were chatting to each other.

Does anyone on the 'inside' know if anything was unusual, or what it just something normal that I hadn't experienced before?
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
You entered the turn (the one complete circle) at approx. 257kts, the speed dropped to approx 238kts half way through the turn and the increased to approx 272kts as you ended the turn. Altitude dropped steadily during the turn and continued to drop as the turn ended and the aircraft made its way to LGW. Can't see too much odd there.
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mileometer View Post
You entered the turn (the one complete circle) at approx. 257kts, the speed dropped to approx 238kts half way through the turn and the increased to approx 272kts as you ended the turn. Altitude dropped steadily during the turn and continued to drop as the turn ended and the aircraft made its way to LGW. Can't see too much odd there.
I had a look at FR before I posted, and also saw what you saw, nothing out of the ordinary. It just felt very weird and like nothing I've ever experienced on board....
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie View Post
After a quick and uneventful flight, we started to circle around Brighton (just one complete circle). A few seconds into the turn, the engines roared up to what felt and sounded like takeoff power, and the nose seemed to pitch up a fair bit. You was really pushed into your seat.

We then saw what looked like another aircraft pass rather close out of the window.
The FR24 playback isn't 100% complete, but it looks like there might have been one or more other aircraft vertically separated from you by a bit more than 1,000 feet. That can look very close, even though (AIUI) 1,000 feet here is legal and safe. It's quite impressive if it happens when the two aircraft are flying tracks that are roughly at right angles to each other and they're at full cruise speed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the power change was also quite noticeable if you picked up an additional 35-ish knots during the turn. But what you feel is notoriously unreliable at conveying what's actually happening to the aircraft.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:55 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
But what you feel is notoriously unreliable at conveying what's actually happening to the aircraft.
Absolutely. And can be really serious if the pilots suffer it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensor...r/somatogravic
Old Apr 22, 19, 4:11 pm

Similar happened to me on IB3166 from Madrid last Monday. We did the turn and engine picked up quite a bit of power. Then saw what looked like a KLM aircraft coming directly to us from one side. I am sure it was below us and as someone else said 1000ft away therefore perfectly safe.
Old Apr 22, 19, 4:31 pm

This is not BA, but I had a flight from TRD to TRF with WF. I sat in row 1 and in that time the doors to the cockpit was open. I was enjoying my coffee when I suddendly heard a loud computer voice saying «dive dive dive» and the pilots pushed the controls all the way forward. We dived down and the coffee went all over the place Luckily the plane had the anti crash system installed...
Old Apr 23, 19, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Almost certainly nothing untoward, but I can understand how the combination of the engine thrust sensation (which as others have said may well have been illusory- though that's certainly no criticism of the OP, just how humans are wired!) and the visual input of an a/c close by might have felt a bit odd. Pilots chatting at the end of a flight is standard. So in all likelihood three innocent things that are actually unconnected in any way, but no the OP is not going mad!

Anyone with a window seat whilst in the hold for LHR will be well used to seeing a/c very close by, but still within the 1000 ft permissible separation. It is recognised that this can look disconcerting to passengers, and I have noted on a few occasions flying into LHR on KLM that pilots have told passengers of the likelihood of seeing other a/c in the hold and that this is all perfectly safe etc- which I found interesting, as it almost seemed to me to be a sort of SOP for KLM pilots flying into LHR to make that announcement. I've never heard anything similar from BA cockpit crew, although they're normally very communicative and informative.

Last edited by South London Bon Viveur; Apr 23, 19 at 5:38 am
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
The FR24 playback isn't 100% complete, but it looks like there might have been one or more other aircraft vertically separated from you by a bit more than 1,000 feet. That can look very close, even though (AIUI) 1,000 feet here is legal and safe. It's quite impressive if it happens when the two aircraft are flying tracks that are roughly at right angles to each other and they're at full cruise speed.
Slightly OT, but when viewing a flight playback on FR24, how do you toggle to see other aircraft flying at the same time? I'd be interested to see the spacing of some aircraft coming in to LHR on Sunday morning (we were on the YYZ-LHR flight) as they always look close as you say but I've always wondered what the actual distance is!

I've also just checked the playback for our AA flight 2569 MIA-YYZ on Saturday which was showing a descent of -4500fpm during our approach to Toronto - no wonder you could feel it!
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by flyer_tom View Post
Slightly OT, but when viewing a flight playback on FR24, how do you toggle to see other aircraft flying at the same time? I'd be interested to see the spacing of some aircraft coming in to LHR on Sunday morning (we were on the YYZ-LHR flight) as they always look close as you say but I've always wondered what the actual distance is!
You need to use the home page display, not the display of a specific flight. Adjust this to the correct area. You then need to use the clock face symbol on the right hand side to set a time from which to start the playback.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: