Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transferring through AMS with checked luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Looking at an ex-EU trip going SOU-AMS-LHR-HKG and am wondering about connecting through AMS. Arriving in Schipol on Flybe so firstly I need to know how far will I have to carry my bag after retrieving it from SOU-AMS flight to bag drop on BA AMS-LHR?

Secondly I need to know how much time should be left between different airline flights? I think I have about 90 minutes connection time but could be more.

If time worked out too too tight I considered flying to AMS the night before and staying in the airside Yotel. however I’ve read that checked luggage is not allowed in the Yotel meaning I would have to fly HBO therefore defeating the purpose of bringing checked luggage?

thanks,

R
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
90 minutes is just no way near long enough at AMS to collect and recheck baggage

I would either overnight it, or allow several hours
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The CitizenM Hotel at AMS is usually very reasonably priced. A short walk from the terminal.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
The trek from the D piers to landside is often a good 20 minutes I'd say, without allowing for any delays at passports. Security at Schiphol can be bad too at times, but YMMV.

I suspect trying any form of back to back with checked luggage is a no-no without adding an overnight stop.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I have a 2 hour stop there with luggage next year... Hoping it won't be a problem, but if I get stuck I'll just wait until the next morning and fly back staff.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Fine on the end of an exAMS, not the start
flyuk likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
it regularly takes 30 mins for bags to appear at AMS (timed from leaving the plane to them arriving on the carousel)

BA checkin cut off is 60 minutes at AMS. The maths speaks for itself,

I stayed at the Citizen M last year. More than OK for a night. You can take luggage trollies right up to the front door. There a re a couple of landside airport hotels so no need for the yotel

And as you are on separate tickets you are not connecting if you miss that cutoff BA has no obligation to rebook you.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Ex-AMS saved us over £400 each, so worth the risk. AMS is not the worst airport to overnight in either.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by rmac86
Looking at an ex-EU trip going SOU-AMS-LHR-HKG and am wondering about connecting through AMS. Arriving in Schipol on Flybe so firstly I need to know how far will I have to carry my bag after retrieving it from SOU-AMS flight to bag drop on BA AMS-LHR?

Secondly I need to know how much time should be left between different airline flights? I think I have about 90 minutes connection time but could be more.

If time worked out too too tight I considered flying to AMS the night before and staying in the airside Yotel. however I’ve read that checked luggage is not allowed in the Yotel meaning I would have to fly HBO therefore defeating the purpose of bringing checked luggage?

thanks,

R

What would be your back up plan of the SOU AMS flight was cancelled or delayed by an hour or two?

I personally would go during during the day the day before so you would have a back up,plan to get to AMS in the event of delay or cancellation. There are a number of hotels close to thst are comparable but the family room and premier queen seem to be able to hold luggage.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Last time I had checked bags arriving in AMS I had to wait 55mins for bags to arrive. That was an exceptionally poor performance but it's usually 20 to 30 mins after the doors open on the aircraft.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What would it cost to purchase a new ticket at walk up prices on the day of travel? That is the downside financial risk. You are saving £400 and are effectively hedging those savings through the cost of a hotel and a bit of sustenance.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Often1
What would it cost to purchase a new ticket at walk up prices on the day of travel? That is the downside financial risk. You are saving £400 and are effectively hedging those savings through the cost of a hotel and a bit of sustenance.
For me a walk up price is minimal, I can fly BA staff standby.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyuk
For me a walk up price is minimal, I can fly BA staff standby.
Nice for you but not an option open the the vast majority of passengers who would be paying full fare so a less than helpful reply.

Also the OP is asking about the outbound flight not the return so even more expensive if they were to miss it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Nice for you but not an option open the the vast majority of passengers who would be paying full fare so a less than helpful reply.

Also the OP is asking about the outbound flight not the return so even more expensive if they were to miss it.
I thought you were asking me, as I was the one that mentioned the £400 saving per person.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:45 am

This is a recipe for disaster, given BE's shonky time keeping record.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.