Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC requesting personal ID to respond to an email enquiry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club

Each time I send an email to BAEC requesting some help, i am asked for the following information which I am not comfortable to provide so end up calling them instead which is not always convenient.

Am I being too sensitive here? I was affected twice by the recent data breach and have no confidence in BAs data governance. I’m happy to provide some info but nothing appertaining to credit card or passport.

you will need to provide the following information in your enquiry before we can answer you:

• The registered postal address on your account
• The name of a nominee on your account, the last 4-digits of a saved credit card, or your full passport number
Please also make sure you've given us your account number.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:48 am

Same situation here. I’ve given up emailing. Having to take at least 2 emails to get a simple thing done is non productive.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Earlier thread for additional reference on this which relates to emailing the GGL team Strange reply from Exec Club - GDPR or phishing
argonath likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Interestingly the information I provided to BA for a data subject access request was less than that demanded above, and wasn't queried by the Data Protection team. Go figure...
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:15 am

Replying to an email to ask for more information via email, when email is insecure and can be intercepted and read - is just plain stupid.
lhrpete and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Replying to an email to ask for more information via email, when email is insecure and can be intercepted and read - is just plain stupid.

Got to love Flyertalk, on one hand people think there’s no problem with off duty travel staff viewing PILS yet aren’t happy about sharing information to get their query answered.

Id much rather checks done than someone who’s not me cancelling my booking or changing my seat or food option. I think BA are way to far away from secure messaging within the BAEC

The twitter team ask for the same, I’m happy to share that at 3am if they are helping me with a query when nobody else is open.

The only think I’m not overly happy with is the pre flight email with a link that you can click on that will take you directly to MMB.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:31 am

But if all this info is required when you send a general question about T&C's it's bit overkill
Last year I wanted to specify Best Price Guarantee conditions and sent an email. First reply:
"Thank you for your query, we are happy to confirm that you can find the price of your flight if you enter departure, destination and dates on ba.com opening page"
I thanked them for reply and asked the question again. Second reply
"... we are happy to confirm you can find out best prices if you click Discover and select Find our cheapest flights"
I thanked them for reply and asked the question again. Third reply
"For security reasons we need you to supply following information..."
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:06 am
ECR

The cynic in me suspects the reason for asking for this is just to get rid of the complaint or query because they know a lot of people will not be comfortable sending that personal information by insecure email and will just give up.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by flyslow
I thanked them for reply and asked the question again. Third reply "For security reasons we need you to supply following information..."
I've had this before too. It depends on the type of question you're asking. If it's just a general question about something that doesn't require access to your account/booking for specific information relating to you, then they can answer it without needing to clear DPA. If your last question was more specific and they needed to access some of your info to answer it, then they have to come back and ask the security questions.

Seems logical to me as I wouldn't want them to access my personal details for a general question that could be answered without having to provide all of my details.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Emails will be encrypted (provided your own email provider is doing the right thing), and your personal information is exactly as safe as it was before: as the details they are after are a shared secret. They have them all in a convenient database!

Not a big deal, apart from the fact it adds another unnecessary roundtrip on the email exchange.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Can you elaborate on the insecure and can be intercepted bit?

​​​​​​
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by jerub
Emails will be encrypted (provided your own email provider is doing the right thing), and your personal information is exactly as safe as it was before: as the details they are after are a shared secret. They have them all in a convenient database!

Not a big deal, apart from the fact it adds another unnecessary roundtrip on the email exchange.
There are a lot of Yahoo (& btinternet) mail users who would disagree with this assessment.
https://money.cnn.com/2017/10/03/tec...nts/index.html

Email like everything stored electronically is by definition insecure.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ECR
The cynic in me suspects the reason for asking for this is just to get rid of the complaint or query because they know a lot of people will not be comfortable sending that personal information by insecure email and will just give up.
Not really. This is for the dedicated email for the GGL team not a general query or complaint email.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
Can you elaborate on the insecure and can be intercepted bit?

​​​​​​
It was historically true that anyone who could insert equipment at any of the connections between you and your mail provider or between your mail provider and where they were sending email to, could read everything you wrote.

These days we use encryption at every layer by default, and it's very rare to transmit email without it.

I can go on about this at length, but it's very boring.

One thing that is extremely easy to do and remains easy to do is fake where an email is from. Anyone can pretend to send an email from me, and so it's very important to verify my identity every time before doing what I ask.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While there is always a risk that emails can be hacked, the same can be said for phone calls, and even in-person visits to a counter could be subject to an impostor.

But, unless you are deliberately using a non-secure email system, pretty rare these days, I don't see the security issue. That is particularly so as to the physical address associated with the account or the last four digits of the credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.