Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Code share with Aer Lingus, refused Priority Boarding with BA Gold Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Code share with Aer Lingus, refused Priority Boarding with BA Gold Card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I am in the same quandary. Booked via the BA website and when I check on the EI website (which seems to have linked via my email address) it says I have booked a 10kg hold bag but can’t carry it on. Sounds like that’s not true and I can carry the trolley on. Where do I get the stamp from? At Check In? Wish I had read this thread first and booked real BA flights.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by SHT88T
The BA tickets on EI book into ‘Y’ (or at least it did when I had to accept EI to BHD) which I assumed was the Plus fare equivalent. When I contacted Aer Lingus they said my fare was a “Saver” and not entitled to seat selection or priority boarding.
The British Airways codeshare tickets on Aer Lingus flights fall between Saver and Plus on Aer Lingus.

They come with one 23kg checked bag, plus the usual 10kg carry-on bag as per BA.

They do not come with seat selection - whenever I call EI to select a seat, they charge me for it, and I pay. No priority boarding, though you used to get it with a seat in row 1-6, so I used to book one of those.

Originally Posted by petetobin
I am in the same quandary. Booked via the BA website and when I check on the EI website (which seems to have linked via my email address) it says I have booked a 10kg hold bag but can’t carry it on. Sounds like that’s not true and I can carry the trolley on. Where do I get the stamp from? At Check In? Wish I had read this thread first and booked real BA flights.
Yes, check-in, where else would you get it? As I said in the other thread, you will be fine. Plenty of people book the EI flights via BA as plenty of Irish people travel BA over LHR to go abroad. You're not the first one, so all will be well
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
The British Airways codeshare tickets on Aer Lingus flights fall between Saver and Plus on Aer Lingus.

They come with one 23kg checked bag, plus the usual 10kg carry-on bag as per BA.

They do not come with seat selection - whenever I call EI to select a seat, they charge me for it, and I pay. No priority boarding, though you used to get it with a seat in row 1-6, so I used to book one of those.

Yes, check-in, where else would you get it? As I said in the other thread, you will be fine. Plenty of people book the EI flights via BA as plenty of Irish people travel BA over LHR to go abroad. You're not the first one, so all will be well
Thanks, I guessed check-in but as you said you checked it at a kiosk, I wasn’t sure. Like you I rang EI and booked my seats with them and paid. I used a dummy booking on the EI website to work out which seats to ask for. I don’t think I have stood in a non-priority queue for about 10 years so it will be a novelty! My company HQ has just moved to Dublin so I need to get used to it.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Booked on the BA 5941 in April (LHR to Shannon) in economy with 1 x bag - thought i'd be able to get an extra bag as BAEC silver to take golf clubs !
See it's an Aer Lingus operated flight - so i assume i will have to pay for additional baggage?
Or does being a Silver member entitle me to take 2 x bags?
I have looked at the booking on the BA website and the link for "pay for extra baggage" - it says "excess baggage cannot be purchased for this journey" ?????
Does this mean i have to go to the Aer Lingus website and purchase an extra bag?
Any help appreciated
Ta
Old Feb 1, 2022, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by zambandit
Booked on the BA 5941 in April (LHR to Shannon) in economy with 1 x bag - thought i'd be able to get an extra bag as BAEC silver to take golf clubs !
See it's an Aer Lingus operated flight - so i assume i will have to pay for additional baggage?
I have looked at the booking on the BA website and the link for "pay for extra baggage" - it says "excess baggage cannot be purchased for this journey" ?????
Does this mean i have to go to the Aer Lingus website and purchase an extra bag?
Any help appreciated
Ta
Would be delighted if someone corrected me on this but my understanding is that your BA/OneWorld status as a Silver essentially means nothing on the EI operated codeshares because they are not a OneWorld carrier.

If the more knowledgeable members here can’t add to or correct what I’ve said it
might need a call to BA to understand your options.

Just one question though, is this a point to point booking or are you connecting via LHR on BA? If you are connecting, your clubs may be checked to Shannon by BA at your point of origin with Silver benefits honoured.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:03 am

Hi SHT88T
It is a point to point booking............the return is from DUB to LHR all on one booking ref
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zambandit
Silver on EI doesn't do much, it's not a oneworld airline. When it comes to baggage it's generally quite simple:
- you get a ticketed allowance which shows on your e-ticket and thus the check-in agents too. This is usually on a cabin and fare type basis, and thus you get the BA allowance as if a BA flight, in a narrow sense.
- you may get additional allowances due to status, if they apply. Which they don't here. Status allowances aren't part of the formal section of the e-ticket, but are effectively waivers applied by BA staff that know about them.
So your eticket will tell you what you have. You could try calling EI (definitely not BA) to add the bag if needed, but the general outcome is that the agents won't touch a BA ticket, though in theory once within 24 hours of travel and assuming no onwards flight on BA, they should be OK to add the bag. I guess we never get to hear about those EI agents who are willing to add the baggage allowance. It's also correct that if there are charges then EI can use its own rates for this, rather than BA rates.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 6:38 am

Thanks for the info Corporate-wage-slave, much appreciated..........i'll give EI a ring and see how i get on.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
How do you get your EI locator?

Made the mistake of booking an EI DUB for an ex-DUB and would like to ensure I've paid for enough luggage. How does one actually get the EI locator?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Deckard
Made the mistake of booking an EI DUB for an ex-DUB and would like to ensure I've paid for enough luggage. How does one actually get the EI locator?
If you have an AerClub account with Aer Lingus, your booking will appear in there with the EI locator. Don't ask me how, but every time I book with BA and there is an EI flight in it, it always appears in my AerClub account as well with the EI locator. Maybe it happens due to Avios transfers and it's linked behind the scenes - I certainly didn't do anything to make that happen.

Otherwise, you will need to call BA and ask for it.
Kgmm77 and rickschmoo like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I know I've found it somehow but I don't have a current booking to check. But my guess is that it's buried in either the Royal Jordanian or Qantas versions of MMB. But you will get the BA baggage allowance if it was booked via BA.com or via BAEC, minus any extra you would get for status on BA.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:01 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Thaikwai

What does everybody else think about this...was I in the right, or in the wrong?
Frankly, I think that this is a lot of song-and-dance over something utterly trivial. Clearly from what the experts here have told you; you had the wrong idea. These codeshares are very complicated for normal people as they very and change so much. The boys have done a super listing which explains everything in the Wiki. They do this out of the goodness of their hearts and I, for one, am very grateful.

I am unsure why having priority boarding was such an affair of state for you on a flight to Dublin which starts descending almost as soon as it reaches cruising altitude. I’m also unsure why being denied this caused you so much indignation and why you should be embarrassed I cannot tell. I’d have just said sorry, I thought that it was allowed and left it.

One thing that I have learned here is that the codeshare means precious little except earning your Tier Points and Avios. They may lip service but nothing more.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Frankly, I think that this is a lot of song-and-dance over something utterly trivial....
Talk about a quick comeback- only 3 years.....!!
(I almost made the same mistake...)
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:34 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Talk about a quick comeback- only 3 years.....!!
(I almost made the same mistake...)
You’re right! Oh well Better late than never.

Once upon a time you weren’t allowed to dig up threads past a certain age, clearly this is no longer the case and probably this should be reinstated. I’m probably giving my opinion to someone who has long given his custom elsewhere !!
Dan72, skiaplg, crazy8534 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I know I've found it somehow but I don't have a current booking to check. But my guess is that it's buried in either the Royal Jordanian or Qantas versions of MMB. But you will get the BA baggage allowance if it was booked via BA.com or via BAEC, minus any extra you would get for status on BA.
The problem is that the E-Ticket says

Hand baggage Checked baggage
London to Dublin** View your Aer Lingu allowance 1 bags at 23kg (51lbs)
Dublin to London** View your Aer Lingu allowance 1 bags at 23kg (51lbs)

But the link is just to the aerlingus.com home page and the explanation of hand baggage requires you to know your ticket type which is hardly intuitive. I have gathered from other posts that I'm allowed one 23kg bag and at least one 10kg carry on but it all seems unnecessarily obfuscated. It'd be nice to add some luggage as I'm a bit spoilt by 3x32 and lots of hand luggage .

Royal Jordanian says

" LONDON TO DUBLINCHECKED BAG, 1 FREE

Bag max 23kg 51lb 208lcm 81li or musical instrument 23kg 51lb or media equipment 23kg 51lb or bicycle or sports equipment 23kg 51lb

Most Significant Carrier is BA (British Airways)‎

2 Carry-on Bag
CARRY-ON BAG, 2 FREE

First bag carry on hand baggage or carry10kg 22lbupto 45li 115lcm

Second bag carry on hand baggage or carry10kg 22lbupto 45li 115lcm

Most Significant Carrier is EI (Aer Lingus)‎

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.