Search

URGENT - MCT In Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
SOLVED - MCT In Toronto

Hi all,

Quite an urgent one. Flying MIA - LHR via YYZ.

Connection time of 90 mins in YYZ. MIA - YYZ operated by AA and YYZ - LHR by BA. Tickets booked through BA as a bog standard return flight (with the connection).

Got to AA bag drop and self drop wouldn’t print out any bag tags. Went to assistance and was told it was because the MCT was 2 hours in Toronto and they couldn’t print tags and was nothing they could do aside from get us to collect our bags. Obviously this would mean we are then highly likely to miss the connection due to pickup times and re bag drop.

Called BA Gold line and he couldn’t see the problem - he said MCT was 75 mins in YYZ and he could in fact sell me the same ticket there and then. Apparently the direct MIA - LHR was completely full in all cabins. There are 6 of us travelling WTP.

Eventually after being there for an hour at the desk and getting nowhere, she eventually told us she could override the system but couldn’t say whether we would need to pick up our bags or not and re-check - the bags say LHR via YYZ on the tags at least. However they only got checked in about 30 mins before departure time.

1) At 30 mins out will the bags likely have made it onto the first flight?

2) What actually is the MCT? AA say 2 hours, BA day 1 hour and a quarter.

3) How can BA sell a ticket which AA then can’t seem to operate?

4) Will ask whether the bags have made it and if so whether we need to collect and re-drop. If we need to collect, will we still make the connection?

UPDATE - It sounds like we need to collect bags at YYZ due to Canadian customs.

5) If the bags haven’t made it, what are the options RE compensation etc.?

Thanks to the incredibly knowledgable folks at FT!

Last edited by flyer_tom; Apr 21, 2019 at 12:09 am
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Are you on your way home or on your way out?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Are you on your way home or on your way out?
On the way home!

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:00 pm

Deleted, see link below.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Apr 20, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Canada has the same set up as the USA. There is no such thing as international connections on your routing . You have to clear yourself and the bags in Toronto in this context. I don't see this as much of an issue though, it should all be do-able if you arrive on time.

Not sure why the compo question came up though. The worst case scenario is a courier will lug the bags home for you.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold

Per Expert Flyer - (bolding mine)

Minimum Connect Times

Share ResultsSTANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.00
OFFLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-BA II 2.00 ALL - UNITED KINGDOM
AA-** II SUP FLT 1 - 9099 - ALL ALL - CUBA
**-** II 2.00 TRM 1 - 3 UNITED STATES - UNITED STATES
**-** II 1.30 TRM 3 - 3 UNITED STATES - UNITED STATES
**-** II 1.30 TRM 1 - 1 ALL - UNITED STATES
**-** II 2.00 TRM 1 - 3 ALL - UNITED STATES
**-** II 1.30 TRM 3 - 3 ALL - UNITED STATES
**-** II 1.30 TRM 1 - 1 UNITED STATES - ALL
**-** II 2.00 TRM 1 - 3 UNITED STATES - ALL
**-** II 1.15 TRM 3 - 3 UNITED STATES - ALL
**-** II 1.30 TRM 1 - 1
**-** II 2.00 TRM 3 - 1
**-** II 2.00 TRM 1 - 3
**-** II 1.15 TRM 3 - 3
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by flyer_tom
Correct answer, just checked for YYZ: 2:00 (2 hrs), because it's AA-BA and USA-UK. That 1:15 would be a USA-international within T3, but there's a separate UK MCT noted for YYZ.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Canada has the same set up as the USA. There is no such thing as international connections on your routing . You have to clear yourself and the bags in Toronto in this context...
Correct! More detailed instructions will be found here:
https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is it different when BA to BA? I am guessing this is a codeshare ticket.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by flyer_tom

3) How can BA sell a ticket which AA then can’t seem to operate?
At a first glance, it seems that something may have gone wrong in the alignment of the MCTs. As you may know, these work on the basis of marketing flight numbers.

A quick look on ExpertFlyer suggests that AA-BA is 2:00. This is a specific line that says "AA-BA II 2.00 ALL - UNITED KINGDOM".

However, AA-AA and BA-BA are 1:15, and it is not hard to get ITA to price itineraries with 90 minute connections on both combinations. (Theoretically, BA-AA is also 1:15 but I can't find any connection like that, so it may be illegal for other reasons.)

At a guess, AA wanted to impose a 2:00 MCT but only managed to file it / get it filed for AA-BA (ie the operating combination) rather than the other possible marketing combinations. That would explain why the BA call centre and ITA will still happily sell your 90 minute connection.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
At a first glance, it seems that something may have gone wrong in the alignment of the MCTs. As you may know, these work on the basis of marketing flight numbers.

A quick look on ExpertFlyer suggests that AA-BA is 2:00. This is a specific line that says "AA-BA II 2.00 ALL - UNITED KINGDOM".

However, AA-AA and BA-BA are 1:15, and it is not hard to get ITA to price itineraries with 90 minute connections on both combinations. (Theoretically, BA-AA is also 1:15 but I can't find any connection like that, so it may be illegal for other reasons.)

At a guess, AA wanted to impose a 2:00 MCT but only managed to file it / get it filed for AA-BA (ie the operating combination) rather than the other possible marketing combinations. That would explain why the BA call centre and ITA will still happily sell your 90 minute connection.
Interesting. I’m intrigued that this hasn’t come up as a problem before or as a regular problem. I’m also surprised that BA can still sell the tickets, but then based on your explanation above I can see why it “technically” works!

Canada has the same set up as the USA. There is no such thing as international connections on your routing . You have to clear yourself and the bags in Toronto in this context. I don't see this as much of an issue though, it should all be do-able if you arrive on time.

Not sure why the compo question came up though. The worst case scenario is a courier will lug the bags home for you.
Thanks CWS. Yes of course RE compo - not why or how I forgot that!

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Correct answer, just checked for YYZ: 2:00 (2 hrs), because it's AA-BA and USA-UK. That 1:15 would be a USA-international within T3, but there's a separate UK MCT noted for YYZ.
Thanks Yazata!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
good luck with the connection. My only worry for you, is the Miami to Toronto AA flight is a two legged sector - LA - YYZ - MIA and return on a A319. It is not the most punctual aircraft - I hope today is the one day it's on time!
Good luck
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also hope you are either US or Canadian citizens, or have valid Canadian ETAs...
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

On AC flights at YYZ (T1) you can transit US to Canada, then Canada to INTL without collect bags and recheck.
aidy and mrow like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Is it different when BA to BA? I am guessing this is a codeshare ticket.
sorry to go get off topic, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen you ask a question , rather than answer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.