URGENT - MCT In Toronto

Old Apr 20, 19, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation View Post

sorry to go get off topic, but this is the first time Iíve ever seen you ask a question , rather than answer
Ah yes, well if you don't see my usual sig at the end of a post that means I'm probably on a mobile on slow wifi unable to look things up.

Greetings from South Carolina.
Old Apr 20, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Aeroplan, VIPorter
The printout is correct. It is very likely that your BA flights and AA flights are both operating from Terminal 3. Accordingly the MCT is 75 minutes. It looks like whomever told you 2 hours just looked at the top of the list and wasn't familiar with YYZs terminal configurations or procedures for international and US travel.

US to International means you will likely have to pick up your bags after customs. In particular if they weren't ticketed through to LHR that will be the case. Customs in Canada is quite quick for connections. Provided flights are on time and customs doesn't send you to secondary you should have no problem.

This gets quite a bit more complicated if you have to go to Terminal 1 but I don't believe that will he the case here.
Old Apr 20, 19, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Aeroplan, VIPorter
I didn't see the special (yes I know highlighted in bold) note about all to UK being 2 hours.

That may be the case but you will still have ample time to make it through during 90 minutes. Present yourself at checkin or the gate (need a boarding pass to re clear security) and report back if denied boarding.

Last edited by CanadianConnection33; Apr 20, 19 at 2:41 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 21, 19, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
Hi all,

Sorry for the late update - it was all a bit of a nightmare at YYZ and I couldnít seem to get a strong enough data signal to reply! Iíve tried to update the title too so it no longer reads as an urgent problem, but sadly it doesnít seem to be saving the edit.

So whatever they did to force the system to print bags worked and we managed to collect bags in Toronto. We then re-dropped and they successfully arrived at LHR with us this morning. So a success there!

However, I still donít understand why the check in agents didnít just do what they did in the first place to print bag tags.

As a further point of interest, there were a couple of other families who did the same connections as us and they had no problems getting bag tags etc. printed.

However the whole mismatched MCTís does seem to be a problem, but Iím not quite sure if itíll ever get fixed or if thereís a way round it!
Old Apr 21, 19, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF/KL, AS, Hertz President's Chainsaw
Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33 View Post
The printout is correct. It is very likely that your BA flights and AA flights are both operating from Terminal 3. Accordingly the MCT is 75 minutes. It looks like whomever told you 2 hours just looked at the top of the list and wasn't familiar with YYZs terminal configurations or procedures for international and US travel.
Wrong. The 2:00 UK rule overrules the one with 1:15. It's due it being AA-BA. 1:15 is only applicable to flying somewhere else than BA to the UK in T3. It has nothing to do with terminal layout.
Old Apr 21, 19, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Is it different when BA to BA? I am guessing this is a codeshare ticket.
Well! Expertflyer pulls up a different MCT grid to that in post #6, if fed the question as BA & BA. The answer does pop up then as 1hr15 minutes.
That assumes all is within YYZ T3 as I understand the case for the OP.

Whatever Ö all told a quite extraordinary scenario to be faced with at MIA check-in. Even armed with what I know now from this thread, no idea how I'd cajole a check-in agent to get the systems to play ball.
Very odd.
Old Apr 21, 19, 4:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Whatever … all told a quite extraordinary scenario to be faced with at MIA check-in. Even armed with what I know now from this thread, no idea how I'd cajole a check-in agent to get the systems to play ball.
Very odd.
One possibility is that the codeshare got dropped off the MIA-YYZ (e.g. changed timings / equipment on the AA side?) and so the agent was looking at a purely AA booking. It may have been using the magical words "it's a BAnnnn codeshare flight" may have liberated MCT on AA's system. Ultimately I'm not sure it would have made much difference since the re-check desk in YYZ would have re-labelled the bags if necessary, and so long as the flights were on time I don't see much of an issue. Though the process is convoluted - entering Canada, clearing customs technically, another round of security - and there is a fast track channel within T3 for this, the distances are fairly short. So had the items been labelled only to YYZ then it would have been fixable.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 21, 19 at 6:27 am
Old Apr 21, 19, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Well! Expertflyer pulls up a different MCT grid to that in post #6, if fed the question as BA & BA. The answer does pop up then as 1hr15 minutes.
That assumes all is within YYZ T3 as I understand the case for the OP.

Whatever Ö all told a quite extraordinary scenario to be faced with at MIA check-in. Even armed with what I know now from this thread, no idea how I'd cajole a check-in agent to get the systems to play ball.
Very odd.
I think that the OP did well, if I may say so. A scenario like that is one in which you simply have to do what you can and see whether it works. All part of (travelling) life's rich tapestry, in which nothing can be guaranteed. I'm glad that all went well in the end.

From what we've seen above, the only way that an MCT of 2:00 would have been applied is if the agent was looking at AA2569 --> BA92. It looks like that is the combination that falls foul of a published MCT of 2:00. I'm pretty confident that the intention was that AA2569 --> AA6210 and BA5258 --> BA92 should both have also been subject to a 2:00 MCT (and hence be illegal). But someone may well have slipped up in publishing the MCTs, leading to BA being able to sell BA5258 --> BA92 because the MCT actually applied was only 1:15.

I wouldn't be surprised if the AA machinery that the OP originally used is set up only to look up MCT for the operating flight numbers (AA2569 --> BA92), because those are the flight numbers printed on the bag tag. If all had been done properly in publishing MCTs, it wouldn't matter because the other combinations would have been equally illegal (and the ticket would never have been sold like that). But applying Occam's razor, that would seem to me to be a simple potential explanation for how this all kicked off for the OP.