Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only juice and water in business class PDB at Sydney...?

Only juice and water in business class PDB at Sydney...?

Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Keep Schtum, because loose lips sink ships

If someone 'bends the rules' for you and there are no immediate repercussions or danger involved, it's best kept to oneself.Sticking one’s head above the parapet can often lead to more than one expects: as demonstrated here.
Any empathy or sympathy for the OP evaporated with the posting of the photo and the comment “Alls well that ends well...for us. My wife made the point that others in the business class were staring enviously.”
An Ambassador should surely know better on how far to go, especailly as the hole seems to be getting deeper!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz

This made me chuckle. Surely this never, EVER happens. On ANY airline. EVER.
Of course it does but it's not condoned or permitted by the cabin crew. Where would you draw the line? Which laws should apply and which should not? If the plane is delayed and as a premium passenger / frequent flyer I decide that as recompense to this "blunder" I want a go in the cockpit during the flight should they "bend" the rules to keep me happy?

You appear to have made a moral distinction between breaking customs laws and the other laws that the CC could break and in normal life I would probably agree with you, hell I Jay walk but I won't commit a murder.

The problem is that you cannot apply the same logic to air travel and in particular cabin crew's decisions to ober some laws and not others.

Last edited by flyingmonkie; Apr 22, 2019 at 4:34 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:46 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by mlafqtv
If someone 'bends the rules' for you and there are no immediate repercussions or danger involved, it's best kept to oneself.Sticking one’s head above the parapet can often lead to more than one expects: as demonstrated here.
The irony is that I started this thread because I felt I had been lied to as to the reason there were limited PDB options, so I inquired here before tweeting BA. But the crew fixed the situation (for us) which I thought might garner some 'atta boys' for the crew's customer service recovery efforts.

Clearly I was wrong.

Any empathy or sympathy for the OP evaporated with the posting of the photo and the comment “Alls well that ends well...for us. My wife made the point that others in the business class were staring enviously.”
An Ambassador should surely know better on how far to go, especailly as the hole seems to be getting deeper!
I neither seek nor desire empathy, sympathy nor any other emotional response. Despite the PDB issue as well as the lack of printed menus leading to a very slow dinner service, my life has carried on quite nicely.

What I seek is knowledge. And I have learned a lot from this thread. Much of it unexpected.

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Of course it does but it's not condoned or permitted by the cabin crew. Where would you draw the line? Which laws should apply and which should not? If the plane is delayed and as a premium passenger / frequent flyer I decide that as recompense to this "blunder" I want a go in the cockpit during the flight should they "bend" the rules to keep me happy?

You appear to have made a moral distinction between breaking customs laws and the other laws that the CC could break and in normal life I would probably agree with you, hell I Jay walk but I won't commit a murder.

The problem is that you cannot apply the same logic to air travel and in particular cabin crew's decisions to ober some laws and not others.
Um...I make no distinction nor do I draw any lines. I don't know about customs laws. I don't know about BA policy.

What I know is that when I get on what is meant to be a world-class airline on an international business class ticket I'd like a glass of sparkling. That's all. Well, I guess a printed menu would be nice too.

Even crappy airlines like United seem to be able to pull that off seamlessly. That's why I asked the question I did in the OP. @:-)

But things happen and I considered this matter closed until some here thought it right to pillory the cabin crew member for going above and beyond for a customer.

That attitude astounds me. I marvel it in wonder as to how such an attitude could exist. But it does. And seems to be shared by a few.

Again, I have learned from this thread. Many unexpected things!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
But things happen and I considered this matter closed until some here thought it right to pillory the cabin crew member for going above and beyond for a customer.

That attitude astounds me. I marvel it in wonder as to how such an attitude could exist. But it does. And seems to be shared by a few.

Again, I have learned from this thread. Many unexpected things!
Nobody is pillorying the cabin crew for going above and beyond for a customer. It's the law breaking aspect that bothers people. You have been told that what they did was illegal and yet you continue to believe it was the right thing, as a professional crew of a premium airline, for them to do.... That attitude astounds me.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Nobody is pillorying the cabin crew for going above and beyond for a customer. It's the law breaking aspect that bothers people. You have been told that what they did was illegal and yet you continue to believe it was the right thing, as a professional crew of a premium airline, for them to do.... That attitude astounds me.
But how can you know that the crew broke the law with such certainty?

You assume that the crew did something illegal to provide us the minis.

Perhaps those minis WERE from duty-paid supply and but were delivered late. Or had been overlooked. Or there was a limited supply. Or the crew was being lazy during boarding.

Here are the only actual facts anyone is aware of: we were offered juice or water and asked for sparkling, were told that SYD regulations prohibited it (a dubious story at best). A few minutes later a crew member handed us the minis and a couple of glasses saying 'You seemed so disappointed I went and found these for you in the back.'

A simple story of customer service recovery.

Yet from that set of facts you want to make the crew criminal and me their accomplice.

IMHO, a very strange reaction indeed.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Perhaps those minis WERE from duty-paid supply and but were delivered late. Or had been overlooked. Or there was a limited supply. Or the crew was being lazy during boarding.
It seems a number of BA crew have commented up thread already though so one assumes they have more of an idea about what did happen rather than the speculative reasons you proposed.

Out of interest why are you so adamant at defending the crew and trying to come up with possible reasons to show what they did wasn't wrong? I don't think anyone is suggesting you forced them to break the rules so there is no joint responsibility on your part for what they did. As a general rule I am sure you wouldn't condone or encourage crew to break rules/laws.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF WP
Even if they did find a duty paid supply it’s seriously crappy service to give bottles to 2 customers who looked “disappointed” and ignore the rest of the cabin

the only perspective from which it’s laudable is the OP and +1. For everyone else this is seriously poor
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I am 100% certain that there were no quarter bottles of sparkling wine hanging around, I suspect that the crewmember thought they were breaking the customs regulations less by opening the WT plus bars than opening the CW bars which of course is incorrect.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
It seems a number of BA crew have commented up thread already though so one assumes they have more of an idea about what did happen rather than the speculative reasons you proposed.

Out of interest why are you so adamant at defending the crew and trying to come up with possible reasons to show what they did wasn't wrong? I don't think anyone is suggesting you forced them to break the rules so there is no joint responsibility on your part for what they did. As a general rule I am sure you wouldn't condone or encourage crew to break rules/laws.
How would a random BA crew member have any earthy idea what occurred unless they were present?

As for my adamance, I do not mean to come across that way. I don't know if the crew did anything wrong in providing those bottles. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It just surprises me and took me aback that others are so adamant the crew must have broken the law to provide them.

All I doing (thought I was doing) is wondering why some approach the matter with a presumption of illegal activity in terms of the customer service recovery effort by the crew. Because another flight attendant who wasn't there thinks so? That's thin gruel to me. But others can and clearly do feel differently.

Bottom line: I suppose when someone does something nice for me I assume best intentions.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I am 100% certain that there were no quarter bottles of sparkling wine hanging around, I suspect that the crewmember thought they were breaking the customs regulations less by opening the WT plus bars than opening the CW bars which of course is incorrect.
To my point: you are 100% certain that the crew did something illegal? 100%?

May I ask: how can you be so very, completely, absolutely certain?

Originally Posted by nancypants
Even if they did find a duty paid supply it’s seriously crappy service to give bottles to 2 customers who looked “disappointed” and ignore the rest of the cabin

the only perspective from which it’s laudable is the OP and +1. For everyone else this is seriously poor
On this we completely agree.

No bubbles PDB then bubbles but just for us.

No printed menus leading to painfully slow meal service.

Those damn seats.

Overall it was a poor experience.

Next time I'll fly Qantas or, if possible, Singapore.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
were told that SYD regulations prohibited it (a dubious story at best)
I doubt it is dubious, my suspicion, a continuation of CIHY's post above, is that the supplying company only supplied duty free, not duty paid, because of it being Good Friday. The cabin crew then thought it was only half a sin to take some duty free bottles from WTP. This supply outage could have been a coincidental oversight (there are hundreds of items that need to be loaded) or (more likely) out of an abundance of caution since Good Friday has legally had a very particularly set of constraints about drinking. I'm a Trustee of a historical Temperance organisation, which has operated for 160 years in the UK, Commonwealth, Irish and USA countries and the archives are full of the successful stories to prevent alcohol being sold from the end of Maundy Thursday until midday Easter Sunday, even in states within India with very few Christians in them.

Many constraints still exist. This year was only the second year that Ireland allowed alcohol sales on Good Friday (at all), Scotland still restricts alcohol until 17 hrs, and you can rely on the Commonwealth of Australia taking their collective time to consider social changes. Most of the Indian restrictions are still in place. I'm old enough to remember when Fleet Street adjusted their printing schedules so that no printing took place on Good Friday itself. The original story was that if printing was attempted the newspapers would end up blood red, but the more likely reason was that though Fleet Street had 24 hour drinking in pubs connected with newspapers, even they could not evade drinking restrictions on Good Friday.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Funny enough I know the processes that cabin crew have to follow having been a CSD for over 25 years.
All catering equipment and all bars are removed when the aircraft arrives in SYD as the aircraft sits on the ground for around 8 hours and would be thoroughly checked, Australia has one of the strictest customs formalities.
SK, PUCCI GALORE, orbitmic and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
How would a random BA crew member have any earthy idea what occurred unless they were present?
To my point: you are 100% certain that the crew did something illegal? 100%?

May I ask: how can you be so very, completely, absolutely certain?
I am 101% sure that not paying taxes on alcohol is not just a little illegal, it's quite seriously so. If duty free stock was used on the ground in Australia, who paid the tax on it? And what happens to people who don't pay their taxes? I'm much less sure whether you too could get into trouble for drinking it, but I do know ignorance - whether from cabin crew or anyone else - is no defence.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:39 am

I think the 100% certainty on the bottles being duty free comes from the post earlier that states BA doesn't have any duty paid quarter bottles, just full size ones.
wrp96, KARFA, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm much less sure whether you too could get into trouble for drinking it, but I do know ignorance - whether from cabin crew or anyone else - is no defence.
...for certain crimes [in certain jurisdictions] it is no defence - as a group of people in the US will have been relieved to find out just last week.

As stated ad nauseum above, with very well qualified information from within the airline: the crew broke the law - likely to rectify an oversight by the caterers - and are rightly not being praised for having done so.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:06 am
Original Poster

I am 101% sure that not paying taxes on alcohol is not just a little illegal, it's quite seriously so. If duty free stock was used on the ground in Australia, who paid the tax on it? And what happens to people who don't pay their taxes? I'm much less sure whether you too could get into trouble for drinking it, but I do know ignorance - whether from cabin crew or anyone else - is no defence.
If, indeed.

I doubt it is dubious, my suspicion, a continuation of CIHY's post above, is that the supplying company only supplied duty free, not duty paid, because of it being Good Friday. The cabin crew then thought it was only half a sin to take some duty free bottles from WTP. This supply outage could have been a coincidental oversight (there are hundreds of items that need to be loaded) or (more likely) out of an abundance of caution since Good Friday has legally had a very particularly set of constraints about drinking. I'm a Trustee of a historical Temperance organisation, which has operated for 160 years in the UK, Commonwealth, Irish and USA countries and the archives are full of the successful stories to prevent alcohol being sold from the end of Maundy Thursday until midday Easter Sunday, even in states within India with very few Christians in them.

Many constraints still exist. This year was only the second year that Ireland allowed alcohol sales on Good Friday (at all), Scotland still restricts alcohol until 17 hrs, and you can rely on the Commonwealth of Australia taking their collective time to consider social changes. Most of the Indian restrictions are still in place. I'm old enough to remember when Fleet Street adjusted their printing schedules so that no printing took place on Good Friday itself. The original story was that if printing was attempted the newspapers would end up blood red, but the more likely reason was that though Fleet Street had 24 hour drinking in pubs connected with newspapers, even they could not evade drinking restrictions on Good Friday.
That's all very interesting and thanks for sharing.

But I am "101%" sure we flew on Saturday afternoon. @:-)

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I think the 100% certainty on the bottles being duty free comes from the post earlier that states BA doesn't have any duty paid quarter bottles, just full size ones.
But IME on US carriers the PDBs in business class are often poured from smaller bottles. I have always assumed this was to eliminate the potential for waste. Maybe things are different on BA. Then again, maybe BA things are different in SYD.

Again, so much certainty in reaction to this incident from people who don't really know the facts (and I freely admit I don't know all the facts...but I am not pretending like I do, either).

Odd. But ok...if it makes you feel better to just KNOW the crew broke the law then whatever floats your boat! Enjoy your righteous indignation with peace and love, peace and love! ^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.