Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only juice and water in business class PDB at Sydney...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only juice and water in business class PDB at Sydney...?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Wait. Are you saying it's a BAD thing that a crew member may have bent the rules to make up for a catering blunder?
The rules wern't merely bent they were broken. This has been explained several times in this thread.

And no fizzy wine for a pre departure drink is hardly a 'blunder' just a minor irritant.
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:43 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Huh. I don’t fly BA often as it has a reputation for being customer-unfriendly.

Seems confirmed here: a crew member engages in customer service recovery for a premium guest and is pilloried for it.

Odd corporate culture, but ok. Now I know!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: QF WP
I suppose the problem is that what they did is technically illegal?

to make a rather extreme example, if you were to complain about say a snorer and the crew’s response was to smother him with a pillow. That may solve the customer service issue rather beautifully but is really not something that should be encouraged or congratulated
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Does this happen with any regularity on Emirates or Qatar or even Qantas?

If not why not?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by smokie36

If not why not?
Well we need to be very careful about using the expression "With regularity" as Flyertalk is built up of non-randomly selected anecdotes and is not a reliable source of data. That being said, I've never not had PDB champagne available in CW on BA (and usually available in WT+ too) but I have had one occasion when it wasn't available on Qantas despite not flying with them very much.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by smokie36

If not why not?
Happens all the time domestically on Qantas.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BA SILVER
My goodness - what an extraordinary thread whose subject matter would easily wind up 90% plus of the population!!!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by nancypants

to make a rather extreme example, if you were to complain about say a snorer and the crew’s response was to smother him with a pillow. That may solve the customer service issue rather beautifully but is really not something that should be encouraged or congratulated
I wish the crew had that pillow to hand for 4K on my last flight back from MCO
kokonutz and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants

hm. Not so sure that’s an apples to apples analogy.

Look, i. understand there must have been some snafu over the duty-paid catering. Things happen.

But ion a $3000 one-way ticket someone should pony up the duty and act like a quality airline with a customer-service focus.

At at the end of the day it’s not a big deal, but if (IF) the culture at BA is ‘we’re too cheap to provide a pdb on In business class, ‘ well then there’s always AirAsia...which I flew SIN-PEN today and was ALSO not offered bubbles pre-flight even though I was in Flex!

BTW, my wife and I were discussing whether SYD-SIN (and reverse) is the only international flight that BA operates that doesn’t touch the U.K. i can’t think of any others...
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:01 am

BTW, my wife and I were discussing whether SYD-SIN (and reverse) is the only international flight that BA operates that doesn’t touch the U.K. i can’t think of any others...
There are quite a few - Antigua to Tobago, for instance. Tends to happen when they combine two close together destinations in one flight from London.
kokonutz and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

NAS/GCM

And a new one to somewhere in Saudi Arabia

And would you also count some of the franchises in this, for example those in South Africa.

nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: QF WP
I do agree that the system should be fixed such that a) duty paid stuff should be loaded and b) if duty pod stuff not loaded some kind of option is available, I have no idea about Australian customs regulations but is there any way of paying the duty after the fact? I suppose it would cause a delay as the customs seals would need to be put back on?

you’d like to believe it would be simple but evidently it is not (nb discussion in the QF forum about them not even being able to load the correct meals so it’s obvs not confined to BA)
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb

Antigua to St Kitts
Antigua to Tobago

there are others but cant think at the moment. (EDIT beaten to it already!!)

Bri
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
But ion a $3000 one-way ticket someone should pony up the duty and act like a quality airline with a customer-service focus.
But it's not that simple. This is not a question of somebody having to shell out X amount of money if this happens as a plan B, this is a case of an individual and a company breaking Australian customs law and as a visitor / resident / citizen of Australia you should be aware of how seriously they take that kind of thing. Breaking the seal of a bonded crate is a serious offence and the penalties (should the government wish to impose them) could far, far outstrip your lifetime value to BA or even perhaps your lifetime value to all airlines.

I was in ISB the other week on QR and they couldn't give me champagne on the ground there (even though technically as a non-muslim it is legal for me to consume alcohol in Pakistan) but I didn't make a fuss and potentially put somebody in a dodgy position. I just waited 20 minutes and then had a glass.

E2A On further thinking this is an even worse idea... it gives totally the wrong impression. If they're willing to bend the law when it comes to customs then what other laws are they willing to bend? Safety related ones? What about not being drunk before the flight? Letting somebody use a device in the wrong mode? Giving somebody a trip to the cockpit? In aviation more than almost anywhere else rules are absolutes and I would prefer to see the crew obeying them.
flygirl68, nancypants and etiene like this.

Last edited by flyingmonkie; Apr 22, 2019 at 2:28 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
There are quite a few - Antigua to Tobago, for instance. Tends to happen when they combine two close together destinations in one flight from London.
Ah. Sure. Makes sense.

Thanks.

I guess in my mind this is something of a special route so BA would try their best. But perhaps not.

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Letting somebody use a device in the wrong mode? .
This made me chuckle. Surely this never, EVER happens. On ANY airline. EVER.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.