Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA off duty staff with access to Flight Passenger List on Flight - EU GDP Breach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA off duty staff with access to Flight Passenger List on Flight - EU GDP Breach?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by BAEC
Does this not go against EU GDPR?
Given your concern I would recommend submitting a report to the ICO and BA's DPO and let them decide.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Just complain to BA. You are just asking for people here to give you some validity.

Not sure what your status has to do with it either.

Just email BA but cut out the non relevant stuff about who was drinking what because it is not relevant.

The email address for the BA data controller is easily found as is that of the Information Commissioners Office.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have to admit to being a bit of a stickler for rules when it comes to this kind of thing (alright, more than a bit!), but even I couldn't find anything to worry about there. I suppose that, strictly speaking, off-duty staff should not have access to operational material but the reality of most work environments is that staff generally do have access to operational material like this when off duty in most work environments I have worked in. Perhaps they should not access such material when off duty but again... people do. The only issue there for me, and it is a very small issue, is that they allowed non-staff to view material over their shoulder but I am not sure that was so bad that it needs reporting... or even being worried about.

I think that to proceed with an official complaint would be petty in the extreme. Sorry.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I find it incredible you observed so much of what was going on.

SIS are looking for folk like you.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I understand your point that the data should only be accessed by on duty staff. However, while it may be a little naughty of the off-duty individual, a raw list of names would struggle to breach any data protection rules.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Did you memorise all this or take notes as it was happening?

I feel as though I was there.

Well done.^
mario and Filthy Monkey like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:45 pm

I was under the impression that only operating crew for a specific flight have the ability to upload the passenger manifest info screen on the company iPad.
I was aware up until a couple of years ago this was not the case and that any crew member could pull up any flight data / passenger list of any flight operating on that day. This was clearly a breach of too much data and this control was subsequently tightened.
Perhaps the crew in question were positioning and had been intended to operate but for whatever reason we're not however were already security cleared to access the data based upon their intended roster?
Regardless as to the semantics, this is clearly a somewhat disturbing report that secure data is being mishandled as this clearly had no use to the positioning crew. I'd have liked to think the operating CSM would have reminded the off duty crew of their professional obligations and to query their intentions before considering taking the matter further on arrival. I don't think it would have been appropriate for them to have discussed this any further with a passenger. It would have been an internal matter.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I was under the impression that only operating crew for a specific flight have the ability to upload the passenger manifest info screen on the company iPad.
I was aware up until a couple of years ago this was not the case and that any crew member could pull up any flight data / passenger list of any flight operating on that day. This was clearly a breach of too much data and this control was subsequently tightened.
Perhaps the crew in question were positioning and had been intended to operate but for whatever reason we're not however were already security cleared to access the data based upon their intended roster?
Regardless as to the semantics, this is clearly a somewhat disturbing report that secure data is being mishandled as this clearly had no use to the positioning crew. I'd have liked to think the operating CSM would have reminded the off duty crew of their professional obligations and to query their intentions before considering taking the matter further on arrival. I don't think it would have been appropriate for them to have discussed this any further with a passenger. It would have been an internal matter.
The operating CSM was not aware about the staff in CE until boarding had completed and was informed by the Dispatcher at FRA (as i was raising my concerns to CSM.)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Just complain to BA. You are just asking for people here to give you some validity.

Not sure what your status has to do with it either.

Just email BA but cut out the non relevant stuff about who was drinking what because it is not relevant.

The email address for the BA data controller is easily found as is that of the Information Commissioners Office.
Thanks and noted.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA
Access to the passenger list's is controlled and only those colleagues with a clear business need have access that also includes non-operating crew e.g. ( other colleagues with clear business need). I think you making too many presumptions. I won't go into detail but only certain roles have access to the PIL and it's logged and controlled. I'm more concerned as to why you felt it necessary to look at someone else's personal iPad in detail.

Last edited by BABenchley; Apr 19, 2019 at 5:06 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobServant
Relevant observation - you can usually see BA seatmaps in Expertflyer right up to “doors closed”.
And what does this have to do with the thread? I subscribe to Expertflyer and know exactly what info it provides.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BABenchley
I'm more concerned as to why you felt it necessary to look at someone else's personal iPad in detail.
These off duty staff were drawing attention to themselves during boarding and as i was sat 1 row behind i could hear and see everything. I was not intentionally looking at someone elses personal IPAD. So please do not take this thread off at a tangent.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lioneye
Did you memorise all this or take notes as it was happening?

I feel as though I was there.

Well done.^
Just to keep you and Filthymonkey entertained ... it is available on Utube.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:10 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It has already been necessary to delete a number of posts which breached rule 12, and the tone of the thread is increasingly that of too much heat and not much new substance.

As the OP has received some advice on the likely view given the perceived seriousness, and who to contact if they still feel a complaint is justified, it’s therefore time for the padlock.

/mod
nancypants, TPRun and BAEC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.