My GGL membership coming to an end.

Old Apr 19, 19, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, EK Gold.
Unhappy My GGL membership coming to an end.

Sadly I think I'm going to fall about 1000tp's short of maintaining GGL for a 5th year in a row. I simply haven't needed to fly as much as in the past and pushed some of my long haul business to Emirates and Air Canada due to routing.
I feel sad. A little empty inside. I know I'll never make it back again. I feel like I'm a child and I'm losing my favourite cuddly toy.

Has anyone else gone through this recently?
MGUK and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 8:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well the upside is presumably other things in your life now that you are flying perhaps a bit less? But so long as you have a good stack of Avios and can maintain Gold at least (you presumably are not too far from Gold for Life) then you can run fairly near to this. But I notice you are new to FT and the BA forum, so greetings and welcome, if you keep an eye on this forum getting the elusive 5,000 TPs may yet be possible. Welcome on board tenrohle.
Old Apr 19, 19, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Well the upside is presumably other things in your life now that you are flying perhaps a bit less? But so long as you have a good stack of Avios and can maintain Gold at least (you presumably are not too far from Gold for Life) then you can run fairly near to this. But I notice you are new to FT and the BA forum, so greetings and welcome, if you keep an eye on this forum getting the elusive 5,000 TPs may yet be possible. Welcome on board tenrohle.
Thanks for the kind welcome. And yes you are right, I had a son and reduced my travel greatly since then. Actually BA let me put my GGL on hold for a TP year as a result which was amazing.
Gold for life feels like an unttainable goal and I think by the time I get there the last thing I'd want to be doing is flying anymore

I am trying to think what I will miss about GGL. The jokers, and I am sure I get upgraded much more than I did when I was Gold. 400k avios sitting in my account should see me right for a while though!
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott GFL, Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond,
Well if it's any consolation, what I wouldn't miss about losing my GGL status is the guilt feeling of destroying the planet.

Enjoy your freedom and your son.
HIDDY and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 10:38 am

What a good post. The upward journey through the tiers is much discussed on here. Not the downward, though.

It may take some time getting used to calling the ‘lower phoneline’. Will you head to the wrong lounge by mistake?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Davidjonesk View Post
What a good post. The upward journey through the tiers is much discussed on here. Not the downward, though.
I've noticed that as well. I guess some keep quiet about it while others prefer just to disappear. It's an interesting subject.
crazyarmadillo and mikeyfly like this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by Davidjonesk View Post

It may take some time getting used to calling the ‘lower phoneline’. Will you head to the wrong lounge by mistake?
I managed to make Gold still so I guess I can still use the nicer lounge at T5.

And yes I noticed nobody mentions the downward spiral much here. Reality is as soon as you take a year out to live a little you're dead to them
I'll still hit 2200 TP's give or take but it's a long way from 3000 and my other half thinks the idea of a TP run is absolute insanity.
Old Apr 19, 19, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’ll be ex-gold in a few weeks. Club Galleries *shudders*
libertyuk, T8191, englisha and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dropped down in 2016. To be honest I really only miss the flexibility of having 2 jokers a year and the frequent upgrades that came with the CIV. I was a rare caller to the GGL line so haven’t missed that much.

The flip side is no jetlag, actually having quality time at home and generally feeling fitter and healthier. 😊
Old Apr 19, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, SQ PPS
No airline status comes close to being home and not having to travel, or not having to travel as much. Even if the travel is always in first or business.
(To the OP) Going back to what you said about feeling a little empty inside, I know exactly what you mean! I haven't reduced travel this year but I have shifted it to airline products I personally really enjoy and so don't go by alliance really. However, realising I wouldn't re-qualify for GGL somehow perturbed me, and I realise that I get very little out of airline status. I think I will probably re-qualify this year just because its 3000 TP versus 5000.

Last edited by SDUKAG; Apr 19, 19 at 1:49 pm Reason: Didn't say who I was addressing
Old Apr 19, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jday View Post
Like a zoo but much busier! Heading over to T5B is essential if there's enough time in the schedule.
Old Apr 19, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Ex GGL or ex Gold...in the scheme of things, even being silver is not too bad, is it?

What you really need to worry about is when you drop below Silver... (I was silver for about 3-4 years, then missed out, dropped down to Bronze, now that was an experience I was glad to forget about.) Not being able to use the lounge / not being able to book seats when you buy tickets are the two that spring to mind as being the worst things to lose.

Not been Gold yet (will be next week), so whether I get upset when I lose gold status, I'll let you know on the 8th Sept 2020...
jamesreid978 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by jday View Post
Unless I had a three hour connection every other week flying long haul economy economy I wouldn't be splashing my cash to keep Gold just to get access to the F lounge.
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tenrohle View Post
I managed to make Gold still so I guess I can still use the nicer lounge at T5.

And yes I noticed nobody mentions the downward spiral much here. Reality is as soon as you take a year out to live a little you're dead to them
I'll still hit 2200 TP's give or take but it's a long way from 3000 and my other half thinks the idea of a TP run is absolute insanity.
just go do a 800 TP run. can be done in one weekend.
we know you want to
Old Apr 20, 19, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Having switched some flying around at the last minute I made GGL for the first time in December... but with a new project I have done no flying from T5 or on BA metal since (1000 TPs from other oneworld) and with almost none planned for the rest of the year I'm slightly wondering what the point was. And yet part of me is eying up a 2,000 TPs worth of "I really must attend that conference in New Zealand / Brazil / etc etc" ��

Search this Thread
Search Engine: