Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My GGL membership coming to an end.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:53 am

I haven’t come to that stage yet but may well find the status downgrade liberating. That means for long haul flights I can now book whichever alliance I want... then again life is never so simple...
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
I recently dropped down to Silver after a year in Gold. Have to admit Gold has the way better check-in and nicer lounge, but Silver is not so bad and I am quite happy with it. BA should really introduce a Silver for life scheme..
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jday
I’ll be ex-gold in a few weeks. Club Galleries *shudders*
I went there once. I left feeling more stressed than when I had entered. I'm debating whether to soft land to Silver this year.

Selecting 1A and 64K, and the Avios Bonus are really the treats for me (+Galleries First ofcourse and QF First LAX!)
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Congratulations on your son, that actually is a wonderful reason to drop status!

I have not experienced this yet - or rather, so far, I have only ever dropped status on one airline because I had decided to refocus on another one on which my status improved. However, I have often braced myself to the thought that one day such a tier demotion could happen and how it must feel and I imagine that I would feel a bit of a sense of loss whilst being mad at myself for feeling that about something as silly as an FFP tier. Sometimes, our brain wishes we were more detached from non-essential things than our heart is willing to accept.

Because I still keep flying on many different airlines, there are for instance regularly times towards the start of my TP year when I wonder if I will not fly enough to renew my CCR card this year. One day I probably will and it will feel weird and a bit sad.

Admittedly, this is probably part of the reason why I have also kept an eye on lifetime status. I'm FB Plat for life and BA GfL so in a way, so long as airlines play fair and don't decide to renege on existing benefits, I have hedged to some extent. However, I do appreciate some of the benefits of GGL and my CCR access and I know that GGLfL is not a realistic target for me at any rate for many years.

Again, however, in your case, I'm really glad that the change has come for very good reasons!
Vasco Pridat and tenrohle like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ConcordeLuvr
I went there once. I left feeling more stressed than when I had entered. I'm debating whether to soft land to Silver this year.

Selecting 1A and 64K, and the Avios Bonus are really the treats for me (+Galleries First ofcourse and QF First LAX!)
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum ConcordeLuvr! It's great to see you join our community and I hope you'll find it a comfortable and stimulating place. If your handle is anything to go by, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time here! Welcome again!
ConcordeLuvr likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum ConcordeLuvr! It's...!
Wow thanks for the welcome!
orbitmic and wilsnunn like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
The drop from GGL

@ OP. Good post.
I recently dropped from GGL myself. All's still fine .
The simple fact of the matter is I'm doing a lot less flying and overall that nets out to a good thing; I do not need the GGL trimmings and baubles anywhere near as much as when they smoothed the travel experiences these last 6 years.
The facts: No GGL line, no Jokers, no Partner Cards, no Hilton Diamond … these are noticeable losses simply as I had taken them for granted.
The pains: Loss of free cancellations (those £25/£30 add-up!) ; No One World Emerald lounge access (hits me at LHR T3, LAX and JFK) … but for these I'm just working around it and really its no big deal and just needs me to re-focus. I spent £25 the other day for a decent meal in T3 for example, who knew!
The benefits (so far): I really really value the treats still available as a BA Silver / OWS. In the round, they are more than I need. I find VS/Delta and AA MCE increasingly attractive.
The world I've left behind: I will fondly remember my 18 months of CCR days, the incredible consistency of theoretical seating on my EU shorthauls, the arrivals lounges at LHR when in WT+. The ability to choose Row 1 CE and Row 1 747. Treating the Amex 2f1 as a sure thing.

Funnily enough, in real terms, I fly much less but find I have much more choice now. I am able to find good priced deals more often now via VS/Delta; and AA and even DY are in scope. As I fly less, then a good economy seat on a 787 or A350/A380 really can do the job 50% of the time and save me £££s. I do have to put all the clever routings knowledge built up to use still, just in a different way … as many here, I suspect, I enjoy that aspect.

Put another way, I have no desire at all to more than triple my current flying and begin to flirt with 3,000 TPs again (or indeed imagine 5,000+)
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by jday
I’ll be ex-gold in a few weeks. Club Galleries *shudders*
I have just dropped to Silver for the first time in the many years since I started flying. Reduced travel has been more pleasant last year, and as I can get access to the only lounge in BHD, ABZ and EDI I expect it will have little effect. I have not yet hit LHR this month (reduced flights have some benefits!) and will therefore have to forego FW and GF speedy access at some point next month.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I'm on way up to gold knowing I could easily be back to silver following year as not on global projects for now. I guess it's about managing expectations, my own of course. Status is temporary in most cases, so I go to gold knowing it won't be for ever. I'll let you know how my expectation management worked in 15 months time.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GfL
tenrohle, it may not be as traumatic as you think!

I retired in 2016, and my flying reduced greatly. I maintained GGL for most of that year, then dropped back to Gold, but at the same time I achieved Gold for Life.

GGL certainly has some nice additional benefits, but:

Loss of the GGL line. Yes they did answer very quickly and were very knowledgeable and helpful, but I use the Gold line in Spain and have never waited more than a minute and their responsiveness and efficiency is very good.
Loss of Jokers. Yes, nice, but with less flying it's less important.
Loss of partner cards: When my husband travels with me, he is eligible for my Gold benefits and when he travels on business, he is in Business, so no real loss.
Fewer upgrades. I reckon as GGL I was hitting about a 40% complimentary upgrade rate from CW to F. But as I now fly much less, it's no big deal to lose out on this.
Special Services, yes a nice touch, but no real pain. (Except fast track Immigration on entering Dubai, but I hear the SS is reduced now at DXB.)
Hilton Diamond. It was good to have access to the Executive lounges, but as I now travel much less, no loss.

GGL = very nice. No GGL = less travel, breathe a bit more!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I haven’t come to that stage yet but may well find the status downgrade liberating. That means for long haul flights I can now book whichever alliance I want... then again life is never so simple...
I have pretty much flown with whichever airline that suited me at the time, and largely disregarded the status until I got stung excess baggage fees by SQ when on full fare (literal full fare...) F. That, would you believe, was the wake-up call on status benefits (and BA’s generous baggage allowance).

But on the flip side, if you do not tend to fly Y or Y plus, you might not really notice much when you fly without status... until you gave a lot of luggage, that is

But really, life without too much flying would not be a bad thing!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, EK Gold.
Originally Posted by ermen
just go do a 800 TP run. can be done in one weekend.
we know you want to
Oh I definitely started trying to work out a flight plan. I explained it to my wife who gave me 'that look' the entire time.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by tenrohle
Oh I definitely started trying to work out a flight plan. I explained it to my wife who gave me 'that look' the entire time.
I did pretty much exactly that last year. I was 500 TP short of GGL renewal and ended up doing a LHR-OTP-LHR-JFK-PHX-JFK-LHR-OTP-LHR. It can be done in a weekend for about £1.1k. The people you tell will think you're insane. But in a way it wasn't a bad experience: I read a book, binged on some Netflix. It felt a bit like one of those wasted weekends were you don't go out of the house (appreciate the irony).

Thankfully this year is back to the normal flying pattern - so won't need to repeat this.
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by Lost-in-Space
tenrohle, it may not be as traumatic as you think!

I retired in 2016, and my flying reduced greatly. I maintained GGL for most of that year, then dropped back to Gold, but at the same time I achieved Gold for Life.

GGL certainly has some nice additional benefits, but:

Loss of the GGL line. Yes they did answer very quickly and were very knowledgeable and helpful, but I use the Gold line in Spain and have never waited more than a minute and their responsiveness and efficiency is very good.
Loss of Jokers. Yes, nice, but with less flying it's less important.
Loss of partner cards: When my husband travels with me, he is eligible for my Gold benefits and when he travels on business, he is in Business, so no real loss.
Fewer upgrades. I reckon as GGL I was hitting about a 40% complimentary upgrade rate from CW to F. But as I now fly much less, it's no big deal to lose out on this.
Special Services, yes a nice touch, but no real pain. (Except fast track Immigration on entering Dubai, but I hear the SS is reduced now at DXB.)
Hilton Diamond. It was good to have access to the Executive lounges, but as I now travel much less, no loss.

GGL = very nice. No GGL = less travel, breathe a bit more!
There is no SS any more for GGL at DXB.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:37 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
If it’s any consolation we will all be flying blue if Extinction Rebellion get their way ����

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.