Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GLA lounge closing for full refurb 4th - 20th June 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR

Was through the Glasgow lounge this morning and the lady said that she seen I had a future booking in June and to make me aware that the lounge was going to be closed between 4th and 20th June for a full refurbishment

I had a funny feeling this was coming as I had overheard some contractors going through plans the last time I was through so this must be what they were talking about. One of the things mentioned was Hot food station (probably similar to EDI) but that was NOT confirmed by BA.

the lady also didn't know if the snug was staying or going :-O

Should be interesting to see what the new concept is, Wonder if it will be the same as ABZ?

Any if anything else, bring a pack lunch in June :-D
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Oh, I hope they keep the snug!
tynmar likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:29 am

Thanks for this, wonder if they will give us any other option.
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Windy1875
Thanks for this, wonder if they will give us any other option.
I would be hoping for a voucher for use in the bars or restaurants rather than access to the dreadful Upperdeck lounge.
GLA likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Two weeks doesn't sound long for a "full" refurbishment.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I don't find Upperdeck dreadful, quite happy to use on my priority pass it when I am flying Lufthansa rather than BA

Each to their own I suppose
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I'm due to fly out of GLA on the morning of June 21 - no doubt that'll be perfect timing to experience the works over-running...!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I don't find Upperdeck dreadful, quite happy to use on my priority pass it when I am flying Lufthansa rather than BA

Each to their own I suppose
It's not a bad alternative now.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Samaras

I would be hoping for a voucher for use in the bars or restaurants rather than access to the dreadful Upperdeck lounge.
Be careful what you wish for........Silvers were given a paltry £5 voucher during ABZ lounge refurbishment. 😖
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by CCayley
Two weeks doesn't sound long for a "full" refurbishment.
I'll be honest I agree, I was just speaking verbatim from the lounge lady, If Aberdeen is anything to go by this sounds like a spruce up and reconfig lol
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:35 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by zanderblue

Be careful what you wish for........Silvers were given a paltry £5 voucher during ABZ lounge refurbishment. 😖
Same at GLA the last time they refurbished the lounge. Can’t remember if it was last year or the year before.

S
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:52 am

Sounds more like a reconfiguration than a full refurb. The snug will probably be changed and that part expanded to reduce reception area size. IMHO.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
It definitely won’t be a full refurb as this is one of BA’s newer lounges (albeit the Galleries Evolution concept rather than the latest concept) and is far from life expired.

My guess is new carpets and selected new furniture.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Thanks for the heads up. I to/fro GLA quite regularly, as does MrF.
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
I’m guessing the whisky bar will stay in some form as Alex Cruz raised it in a recent interview.

In your First lounges at Heathrow, there have been a number of pop-up promotions in recent years. Is it really worth the money? Doesn’t it cheapen the experience?

I don’t really have a comment. I wouldn’t necessarily count on those being permanent features. Opportunities arise. Don’t discard comments from some travellers wanting to have some entertainment there, and take a look at the whisky bar that we have in Glasgow. That’s been there for a long time and it gives people the chance to taste whiskies for free.
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...owing-results/

I assumed he was talking about the walkway between the main lounge and the snug, where the whisky bottles are. Though obviously the snug could still change even if the whisky stays there or elsewhere in the lounge.

Having said that a fortnight doesn’t seem very long to do major work.
cgtechuk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.