Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GLA lounge closing for full refurb 4th - 20th June 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GLA lounge closing for full refurb 4th - 20th June 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Originally Posted by Samaras

I would be hoping for a voucher for use in the bars or restaurants rather than access to the dreadful Upperdeck lounge.
Interested in what you find dreadful about the Upperdeck in comparison to the BA lounge ?

I enjoy both and often pop in to the Upperdeck lounge for a bacon roll in the morning before heading to the BA lounge to wait for boarding if time permits.

Regards

DtB
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Down the back

Interested in what you find dreadful about the Upperdeck in comparison to the BA lounge ?

I enjoy both and often pop in to the Upperdeck lounge for a bacon roll in the morning before heading to the BA lounge to wait for boarding if time permits.

Regards

DtB
In the past have found it overcrowded and it felt a little grubby. Plus outside the hot option, the rest of the offerings including drinks were sub par compared to the BA lounge.

I really like the Glasgow BA lounge, even when it’s busy it’s never feels too busy.

I may may be doing the Upperdeck Lounge an injustice, as my last experiences were during the school holidays. However if I had the choice, I would pick the BA lounge every time.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Darn, I am flying on the 20th. I was in last week and there was no notification of any future refurb ☹️
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:13 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
Originally Posted by Samaras

I would be hoping for a voucher for use in the bars or restaurants rather than access to the dreadful Upperdeck lounge.
Agree. The Upperdeck is ghastly.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Hi Samaras, thanks for letting me know, you could well be correct about the overcrowding, I only ever go early in the morning specifically for the bacon rolls, I’ve never actually thought about why I never go at any other time of the day, despite the fact that most of my flights are generally in the evening from Glasgow.

Regards

DtB
Samaras likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
In the GLA lounge now and I was told the dates were 6 - 16th June. Just a coat of paint and sorting the floor out.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
The last major refurbishment was, I think, in 2013. Reopened in February that year.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Just a coat of paint and sorting the floor out.
I'm not surprised. I was looking at a trip report recently (non FT) and the GLA lounge was included....still looked in very good nick to me judging by the pictures. ^
The author did nothing but moan and groan about BA the whole time
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
The GLA lounge is far better than it used (pre 2013) to be and it is good to see that they are doing any required maintenance to keep it in good condition, though a hot offering other than porridge in the morning would be good e.g. bacon rolls and a hot vegetarian offering
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:14 am

I'm usually passing through in the afternoon or evening, very rarely in the morning. I remember once there being a lovely cake in the lounge to go with the cheese and sandwiches. That hasn't made a return visit in a good while.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:51 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
In the GLA lounge now and I was told the dates were 6 - 16th June. Just a coat of paint and sorting the floor out.
If they are closing the lounge completely for 10-11 days it must surely be more substantial than just paint and flooring? That shouldn't require more than 2-3 days at most, unless there is something more substantially wrong with the floor other than replacing the covering.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by gms
If they are closing the lounge completely for 10-11 days it must surely be more substantial than just paint and flooring? That shouldn't require more than 2-3 days at most, unless there is something more substantially wrong with the floor other than replacing the covering.
I asked when checking in and that's what I was told. I appreciate that more aggressive methods of interrogation are available but I chose not to employ them on this occasion.
so3003, nancypants and cgtechuk like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:45 am

Now closing earlier than the 4th

I am due to fly from GLA on June 3rd and have just been sent an email informing me that the lounge will be closed for refurbishment and will be offered a food voucher instead. So seems to be closing earlier than originally thought.

Was going to be a special trip for me and my brother so was looking forward to using the lounge. Does any one know if the dates have definitely changed / if the paid lounges are worth it as an alternative?
Old May 24, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by pauljaysil
I am due to fly from GLA on June 3rd and have just been sent an email informing me that the lounge will be closed for refurbishment and will be offered a food voucher instead. So seems to be closing earlier than originally thought.

Was going to be a special trip for me and my brother so was looking forward to using the lounge. Does any one know if the dates have definitely changed / if the paid lounges are worth it as an alternative?
I was in the lounge last week and was told it was closing on the 2nd.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:30 am

and still just for a minor spruce up or something more?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.