FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Curtain roulette - right to the back? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1965852-curtain-roulette-right-back.html)

vintagepilot Apr 17, 2019 11:37 am

Curtain roulette - right to the back?

Just had a 'seat change for operational reasons' email which was interesting as it is still a long way off - the flight is not until December. We knew it was a gamble picking a row near the front but I am not sure why they moved us so far back! Maybe hoping some pax will pay for seats further forward?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b86f557b4f.png

ISTFlyer Apr 17, 2019 1:03 pm

When you first selected seats, was the curtain still in front of row 11. I had occasions where my seat was changed by the system because of the curtain place change.
Be aware that the exit row is also empty.

Takiteasy Apr 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Presumably you are now back in 12C?

corporate-wage-slave Apr 17, 2019 1:23 pm

On some services you would be well placed for a speedy exit (e.g. GLA and NCL).

I seen this too, generally if you leave it untouched overnight it may well put you further forward. But as the NEOs work their way through the fleet I wouldn't get too attached to any seat number just yet.

Physci Apr 17, 2019 2:20 pm

I’ve had similar today as well, moved to row 15 with CE now expanded to row 12 despite not a single seat showing as taken in CE per ExpertFlyer. This is for a flight in Jan 2020.

vintagepilot Apr 17, 2019 2:56 pm

But why put us in row 26 with an empty cabin?

Agneisse Apr 17, 2019 11:13 pm

Just change your seat selection back up to a row you prefer? BA’s seating algorithm works in strange and mysterious ways.

ens100 Apr 17, 2019 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot (Post 31011497)
But why put us in row 26 with an empty cabin?

Look on the bright side, at least they kept you sat all together ;) Very bizarre.

vintagepilot Apr 18, 2019 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy (Post 31011170)
Presumably you are now back in 12C?

Well - no! I would, but my travelling companions like to have their bags with them, so exits and bulkheads are generally out.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31011197)
On some services you would be well placed for a speedy exit (e.g. GLA and NCL).
I seen this too, generally if you leave it untouched overnight it may well put you further forward. But as the NEOs work their way through the fleet I wouldn't get too attached to any seat number just yet.

Yes, not too 'attached' to any particular seat - just seemed a bizarre move in an empty cabin. And that's a good point about the rear exit if deplaning speed was the priority. The trip is to VIE - we've been before but I can't remember whether it is airbridge or bus, although I am not that bothered. Anyway, we are with a non-status pal, so anywhere forward is a rare treat for her - and a bit of T3 breakfast! :)

UKTraveller4Fun Apr 18, 2019 2:12 am

Originally Posted by vintagepilot (Post 31012841)
Well - no! I would, but my travelling companions like to have their bags with them, so exits and bulkheads are generally out.

I would get new travelling companions ;)

ChemicalWoody Apr 18, 2019 2:16 am

I get this happen too.
My theory was just that they don’t want to keep moving the same people back multiple times.
So someone lazily wrote a rule that says if you get curtained you move right to the back, rather than keep edging them back, as they don’t know how far the curtain will move.

Flexible preferences Apr 18, 2019 3:27 am

Is weight balancing part of the algorithm? If it is heavily booked up front that they need to move the curtain back...

corporate-wage-slave Apr 18, 2019 3:56 am

Originally Posted by vintagepilot (Post 31012841)
Yes, not too 'attached' to any particular seat - just seemed a bizarre move in an empty cabin. And that's a good point about the rear exit if deplaning speed was the priority. The trip is to VIE - we've been before but I can't remember whether it is airbridge or bus, although I am not that bothered. Anyway, we are with a non-status pal, so anywhere forward is a rare treat for her - and a bit of T3 breakfast! :)

You can assume front door 1L airbridge only in VIE.

South London Bon Viveur Apr 18, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31013104)
You can assume front door 1L airbridge only in VIE.

Yes I'd say that's right. It's been at least a couple of years since I've experienced anything other than this on the VIE rotations.