FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA can be just so lame... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1965831-ba-can-just-so-lame.html)

HighLife Apr 17, 2019 9:43 am

BA can just be so lame...

I rarely read or post here anymore, just too much on, but after LHR-MEX on Monday I just feel I have to.

The flight was very, very lightly-loaded. Two of us in the back 787 J cabin and perhaps four in the front cabin.
I saw two or three people in first. WT+ was basically empty and half the seats were open in Y.

You would have thought this would have resulted in excellent service. On many similar BA flights it has, but
not this week. The two working our side - the only side - of the CW cabin were totally disengaged. I have
never had to ring the call bell so often on any flight I can remember. Not only to get drinks top-ups
but also to get my plates cleared away etc.

Just pathetic.

The CSD was pleasant enough and even brought me the new headphones from F, which was a nice touch. I
had already tried them in F to LAX the week before but as I had lost the adaptor cable for my Bose Bluetooth
headset I appreciated this over the shockingly bad CW headsets.

Before we landed I expressed my honest assessment of the flight to the CSD and she was mortified.

Sorry, but the comparison with airlines such as QR on flights such as these was just shocking.

This, by the way, is fairly typical. When the cabin is very busy I feel for the crew, or if I just want to sleep I don't really
care that much about the service. But on this long day flight the sheer laziness was so obvious that I felt compelled to post
about it here.

Brisbane Road Apr 17, 2019 9:57 am

Yeah that’s not on. Particularly for that load of pax. Definitely did the right thing to feed it back.

Crew can make a massive difference to sugar coat a pretty mediocre business class product. When it’s as poor as it was for you, it really goes to highlight it’s shortcomings in my opinion

subject2load Apr 17, 2019 10:06 am

@ HighLife - obviously far from ideal, and not remotely the sort of service level one would hope to experience in return for a J class fare. Just imagine if this had been intended by some pax as ‘a first time travelling in business class’ treat.

However, I sense (?) from your underlying tone (and also your comparative reference to QR) that it did not really come as much of a surprise to you.

I guess the reality is that, for as long as (certain) crew members can continue to get away with just doing the very basics, then this sort of thing will continue to be a feature from time to time.

HighLife Apr 17, 2019 10:17 am

You are correct. It wasn't a surprise... sadly.
I had to fly to Noumea recently and because I really couldn't face BA to Sydney I chose an LH / SQ itinerary in J via Munich and Singapore, returning via Vancouver.
The service and cabins were so good. It was refreshing. I still fly BA J over AF J for the flat bed, but I now choose AF First over BA F.

Ancient Observer Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am

The CSM/CSD sets the tone. Clearly, they had set the wrong tone.
Some crew, and it is difficult to assign percentages, want to do a brilliant job every time. The job excites them.
Others just want to do the minimum.

Welcome On Board Apr 17, 2019 10:24 am

I notice that crew seem to become very complacent and take their eye off the ball when the loads are light. Certainly not an excuse and definitely not acceptable but it just seems to happen for some reason. Glad you fed back to the CSD sorry that your experience was poor.

subject2load Apr 17, 2019 10:25 am

Originally Posted by HighLife (Post 31010544)
You are correct.

.............. I still fly BA J over AF J for the flat bed, but I now choose AF First over BA F.

Thanks for coming back.

You are fortunate to use AF F regularly. I have yet to experience it myself (though it’s firmly on my radar !). I get the impression it’s very much ‘The Gold Standard’ in terms of both ground + inflight product.

HighLife Apr 17, 2019 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer (Post 31010565)
The CSM/CSD sets the tone. Clearly, they had set the wrong tone.
Some crew, and it is difficult to assign percentages, want to do a brilliant job every time. The job excites them.
Others just want to do the minimum.

The company needs to say very clearly that this sort of service is totally unacceptable. A few BA CSM/CSDs are lazy and unmotivated in my experience.
I can tell because they don't even stop by to say hello for 30 seconds of a 10 hour flight, and I know for a fact that as a frequent flyer etc I figure in the
'notable passenger' list in the pre-flight briefing - or perhaps not all CSDs even bother with this? Would be interesting to hear from CIHY on this one.
But more often than not it's down to individual crew members who are just not up to the job. Simple as that. I get the impression that no amount of
motivational 'team talk' would get through to them, and instead I can imagine them rolling their eyes from beginning to end. This is the feeling I got
from this week's sector I reviewed above, because the CSD on my flight was a good one.

HighLife Apr 17, 2019 10:33 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 31010580)
I get the impression it’s very much ‘The Gold Standard’ in terms of both ground + inflight product.

It really is quite superlative. It is very expensive though... a lot less accessible than BA F in price
and perhaps this is the reason why.

subject2load Apr 17, 2019 10:39 am

@ HighLife - true, on the specific issue of comparative F prices.

Although .... the basic failings highlighted in your J flight report have of course little - if anything - to do with costs.

Can I help you Apr 17, 2019 11:10 am

Well my view is that it is completely unacceptable and I am really sorry you had to suffer this poor service.
I am surprised that the CSD didn’t notice this as they are in charge of the CW cabin, I certainly would have and I am glad that you feed this back.

T8191 Apr 17, 2019 11:16 am

Agree with CIHY ... a sad performance from an un-stressed crew.

HighLife Apr 17, 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 31010729)
Well my view is that it is completely unacceptable and I am really sorry you had to suffer this poor service.
I am surprised that the CSD didn’t notice this as they are in charge of the CW cabin, I certainly would have and I am glad that you feed this back.

Thanks CIHY, I have absolute faith in the tight running of your ships!

Can I help you Apr 17, 2019 11:35 am

And another thing, our Mexico City based cabin crew in my opinion are some of the best crew that we have, very disappointing!

HighLife Apr 17, 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 31010814)
And another thing, our Mexico City based cabin crew in my opinion are some of the best crew that we have, very disappointing!

Agreed! They make mean bloody marys too. Hopefully I'll have a better experience on my return on Friday night.