Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA can be just so lame...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Shouldn't the thread title be changed to BA Crew can be so lame. Rather than BA. They clearly were not delivering SOP.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by Mutu
Shouldn't the thread title be changed to BA Crew can be so lame. Rather than BA. They clearly were not delivering SOP.
I don't think you can change thread titles, but that's beside the point. For me, BA kinda is its cabin crew... they are the customer-facing brand ambassadors.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
I assume you ducked after making that comment? It probably ruffled a few feathers.
Very good m'allard
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by HighLife
I know for a fact that as a frequent flyer etc I figure in the
'notable passenger' list in the pre-flight briefing - or perhaps not all CSDs even bother with this?
Does this exist? Never seen it mentioned here before..
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noFODplease

Does this exist? Never seen it mentioned here before..
I don't know if it's actually called that, but I have heard it referred to as such.
When CC meet me onboard they often tell me that my name came up at the briefing.
I hope for good reasons
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I know for a fact that as a frequent flyer etc I figure in the
'notable passenger' list in the pre-flight briefing - or perhaps not all CSDs even bother with this?
Originally Posted by noFODplease
Does this exist? Never seen it mentioned here before.
I don't know if it's actually called that, but I have heard it referred to as such.
When CC meet me onboard they often tell me that my name came up at the briefing.
I hope for good reasons
I'm sure notable passengers are identified by their CIV from the manifest and some will have BA VIP which I think can also show on BP's, I'm pretty sure I've read that on here. Whether that's discussed at briefings I have no idea but a Premier most probably would or a GGL for life I suspect, still a very relatively rare breed.

If you Google CIV Flyertalk BA you'll see a lot of threads on this as i think that may be what your referring to, here is one example.

CIV Files
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PETER01
I'm sure notable passengers are identified by their CIV from the manifest and some will have BA VIP which I think can also show on BP's, I'm pretty sure I've read that on here. Whether that's discussed at briefings I have no idea but a Premier most probably would or a GGL for life I suspect, still a very relatively rare breed.

If you Google CIV Flyertalk BA you'll see a lot of threads on this as i think that may be what your referring to, here is one example.

CIV Files
I would say 'VIP' trumps anyone with status. Especially those who've gained their status through tier point runs using non BA flights.

Sorry to hear you had a crap crew HighLife. I once had a poor crew in F on a quiet SYD-SIN sector so I guess it happens from time to time.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:04 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
I have experienced unengaged crews in various cabins, but in J/F I wonder if the issue is that many frequent flyers want to maximise sleep/relaxation and don't want regular interruptions. So unless you call out what you want the assumption by the crew is that you want to be left alone, rather than greeted, assisted and continually have your experience enhanced. In a lightly loaded cabin I can imagine crew would expect to not have a lot to do. I rarely fly premium cabins and when I do have sometimes been disappointed but after reading many posts on here I thoroughly intend to make it clear to the crew in the future what I want, and not to be as shy of using the call button as I have been previously. OP did this and didn't get the desired result, so that's sub par, but I feel that for many of my sub-par experiences I have only myself and lack of FT research to blame.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Poor flight with BACF yesterday (usually BA's better side), LCY-MUC. As soon as drinks service was completed the Y crew member vanished and spent the rest of the flight gossiping in the front galley.

This followed the announcement "if you'd like any further drinks don't hesitate to visit us in the galley". Went back to galley no one there, so requested a drink when they appeared in the cabin after decent announced and told too late..
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by PETER01

CIV Files
We do discuss the pax profile in the briefing. The CSM will usually note if there are any Prem, GGL or Guests of BA. On a flight where there are just a few Golds they may run through these too.
On a flight where there are a high number of Gold passengers, though, they may just make us aware of numbers rather than run down the list. It’ll be up to Galley Operators/CSLs to establish where in the cabin they are. In most pre-flight briefings there simply isn’t time to ensure you’re fully covering everything from an SEP perspective and then list names and CIVs of 20+ Gold Card Holders.
This doesn’t excuse the service the OP received, though, and it’s good to hear that it was raised with the CSD.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Here is a little analogy. 30 years ago I worked in a pub. If I stayed behind the bar and didn't clear tables, wipe them down, clear ashtrays, have a brief hello and chat as I was doing this then the punter would not come back.

If serving a customer, I simply said what do you want it would be bad. If I say. Hi there, what can I get you. Followed by sure etc etc then they wait. Keeps me in a job.

It always amazes me that long haul crew can be really nippy. Some on the asia routes are great and some I've got to know will be terrible. Indeed, one lady when I see her, I just know it will be rude service (to everybody) in club (I watch from front row WT+).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MFCC

We do discuss the pax profile in the briefing. The CSM will usually note if there are any Prem, GGL or Guests of BA. On a flight where there are just a few Golds they may run through these too.
On a flight where there are a high number of Gold passengers, though, they may just make us aware of numbers rather than run down the list. It’ll be up to Galley Operators/CSLs to establish where in the cabin they are. In most pre-flight briefings there simply isn’t time to ensure you’re fully covering everything from an SEP perspective and then list names and CIVs of 20+ Gold Card Holders.
This doesn’t excuse the service the OP received, though, and it’s good to hear that it was raised with the CSD.
Thanks for this info ^
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Sitting on the ground here at MEX on the return service to London on a spotless Dreamliner. I've been here about 30 mins during a delay while engineering sort out issues on the flight deck and I'm pleased to say that can tell from my interactions with the cabin crew thus far - who have all energetically and proactively come over to say hello or ask whether I need anything - that this is going to be a very good flight indeed. I'll report back from LHR tomorrow afternoon, but I would be very surprised if there are any negatives here. Fingers crossed!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
How does BA weed out bad apples
Do crew have appraisals, individual feedback?
Do the BA surveys match seat numbers with feedback?
I suspect no such system exists but is just up to the CSM to evaluate a crew member. With crews never having a fixed team I would be fascinated to know how or if this is achieved.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
How does BA weed out bad apples
Do crew have appraisals, individual feedback?
Do the BA surveys match seat numbers with feedback?
I suspect no such system exists but is just up to the CSM to evaluate a crew member. With crews never having a fixed team I would be fascinated to know how or if this is achieved.
On MF, Main Crew are part of a ‘team’ whereby we have a CSM as a line manager. We fly with them and the rest of the team approximately once every three months or so.
We have performance reviews about once every six months where our owning CSM will check how we’re doing in terms of customer compliments, feedback from other crew, and issues that have been identified by other CSMs who we fly with etc.
At the end of every year, on MF, we’re all graded on our ‘performance’ and peer benchmarked against the rest of the fleet. This then determines our end of year performance bonus.
Whilst it may not seem it, on MF we’re actually relatively closely managed and all have regular contact with an individual manager who knows us and identifies strengths and weaknesses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.