Potable water out of main base.

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA 3MM, UA 1MM
Potable water out of main base.

BA 794/14 APR departed Heathrow for Helsinki with the potable water tank unusable.
This meant there was no tea or coffee available with breakfast service or throughout the flight.
There was apparently no ability to heat up bottled water.
Not a very impressive way to dispatch an aircraft out of the airline's main base on a 3 hr Flight.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Whilst it is indeed not ideal, I would like to think that the alternative to this was a hefty delay or cancellation.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
I would certainly prefer to take a reduction in onboard service versus considering this aircraft going tech and the subsequent cancellation
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:48 am

Multiple aircraft have had water loaded that is cloudy and tastes odd. They have been tested by Thames water and found safe but the water tastes awful. Its either no tea or coffee or 30-40 cancellations each day until the tanks have been properly cleaned which is a major job.
mikeyfly likes this.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Apr 17, 2019 at 2:55 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Who drinks tea or coffee on a plane?

made with water of an undetermined origin.

nice fresh coffee in the lounge beforehand
then soft drinks and or alcohol on the plane
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: QF WP
Anyone able to shed any light on the not able to boil bottled water part? I accept storage would potentially be an issue but youd think thered be a way, if only for the crews cuppa!

also presumably they deploy alcohol hand gel or something? Or does sink tap water come from a different source?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Water from the potable tanks is piped to the galleys and into the back of "Bev Makers" where it is heated instantly and deposited into the tea/coffee pots. There are no "kettle" like devices on the aircraft so no way of boiling water from bottles.
nancypants and Calchas like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by sammyh25
Water from the potable tanks is piped to the galleys and into the back of "Bev Makers" where it is heated instantly and deposited into the tea/coffee pots. There are no "kettle" like devices on the aircraft so no way of boiling water from bottles.
thanks for clearing that one up, much appreciated
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Who drinks tea or coffee on a plane?

made with water of an undetermined origin.

nice fresh coffee in the lounge beforehand
then soft drinks and or alcohol on the plane
The vast majority of the crew drinks tea and coffee on the plane, for a start (and this includes the flight crew).

The potable water tanks are not the filth-fests that internet legend would have you believe, and BA has very stringent requirements with regards to where water can be uplifted - there are a number of stations where although the local tap water is safe to drink, audits have found that local handling procedures are inadequate to ensure the water meets the required standard so no uplift eg. BIQ because their tanks are not drained daily and no chorine tests. The usual reason for cloudy water on an aircraft is down to air in the system.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by EJetter; Apr 17, 2019 at 4:45 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Whilst I don't drink tea/coffee on board, and will have a sparkly water if driving at the other end, I feel sorry for the crew who can't have a cuppa either during the flight or if they're waiting on board during the turn-round. Surely that's against their human rights?
mnhusker likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.