Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA deem me a no-show.. for being in hospital

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA deem me a no-show.. for being in hospital

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Illness is not unusual or unforseable. If you look at the language used it clearly is not intended to relate to illness.
I do not think that this is sustainable. Unless the illness is a chronic illness, where it could be arguable that the increase in likelihood in an illness episode can make it a foreseeable event, illness is not sufficiently frequent or foreseeable to prevent application of the clause. A usual/foreseeable event is something like a delay due to traffic on the M25 at rush hour or the possibility of a train being cancelled and having to take the next one or the fact that a flight might suffer a delay in the case of booking on separate tickets (unless the delay is unusually big), etc...

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I think to expand on KARFA's point, BA's definition of 'events beyond your control' includes:

'and the consequences of which you could not have avoided even if you had taken all due care'

Unlike KARFA I am no lawyer, but the way that is worded, especially 'consequences' and 'all due care', seems to allow for the passenger having already protected themselves with travel insurance.
This is also an unsustainable interpretation of the clause. The clause is not there to cover events that cannot be covered by travel insurance (otherwise it would be pointless since pretty much any travel incident can be covered by travel insurance).
The fact that something can be covered by travel insurance has zero relevance in determining whether the clause applies or not.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
I do not think that this is sustainable. Unless the illness is a chronic illness, where it could be arguable that the increase in likelihood in an illness episode can make it a foreseeable event, illness is not sufficiently frequent or foreseeable to prevent application of the clause. A usual/foreseeable event is something like a delay due to traffic on the M25 at rush hour or the possibility of a train being cancelled and having to take the next one or the fact that a flight might suffer a delay in the case of booking on separate tickets (unless the delay is unusually big), etc...
I am reluctant to ask this as I am not sure most people reading want to see the thread descend in to further a legal discussion. However, I will have a go and hopefully we can keep this light and with short words

Do you think 3c4) is applicable to the OP's situation and/or generally if a passenger becomes sufficiently ill downroute that they can't travel on the originally booked flights? and if so is your opinion BA were obliged to change the return flights at no cost?

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 17, 2019 at 3:17 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by NickB
This is also an unsustainable interpretation of the clause. The clause is not there to cover events that cannot be covered by travel insurance (otherwise it would be pointless since pretty much any travel incident can be covered by travel insurance).
The fact that something can be covered by travel insurance has zero relevance in determining whether the clause applies or not.
Thanks for your understanding of this. I shall gracefully bow out at this point as I'm not a lawyer! I do however enjoy reading the legal discussion
mnhusker likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am reluctant to ask this as I am not sure most people reading want to see the thread descend in to further a legal discussion. However, I will have a go and hopefully we can keep this light and with short words

Do you think 3c4) is applicable to the OP's situation and/or generally if a passenger becomes sufficiently ill downroute that they can't travel on the originally booked flights? and if so is your opinion BA were obliged to change the return flights at no cost?
Yes, I would have thought so.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:29 am

Out of curiosity, would you have examples of the circumstances that, in your view, would lead to 3c4) being triggered?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:40 am

I suspect had the OP been in a position to call in advance (clearly they weren’t for obvious reasons) BA would’ve been more amenable. They did so when I was unexpectedly hospitalised on the day of a flight a few years back.

I suspect the systems challenges in retrieving and reactivating an auto cancelled booking are what’s at play here rather than a general attempt to force risk transfer to insurers.

I do though take issue with the prevailing view on here that insurers should automatically be the first port of call in many circumstances rather than the airline. There are lots of societal and economic arguments against this. Though I can see why shareholders in airlines would push this approach.

NickB likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA absolutely have provision to do this. When my father had a stroke a few years ago, I was a nominated contact on his Exec Club account and had to arrange moving a holiday he had booked as he was unfit to fly.

All very similar to the OP, proof from his doctors was provided and BA did the necessary.

The only difference I can see is that this was a few weeks in advance, as opposed to the day of the flight. I suspect the OP had checked in, so wonder if this has anything to do with it
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
BA used to have (and I’m sure still do), a mid-travel hospitalisation policy. I’m not sure why the OP wouldn’t be covered by that.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by JAXBA
BA used to have (and I’m sure still do), a mid-travel hospitalisation policy. I’m not sure why the OP wouldn’t be covered by that.
I suspect there was an error made by the agent or perhaps a misunderstanding between the parties involved in the original telephone conversation.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: None anymore

Surely 3b3) is relevant in these circumstances?

3b3) If, after beginning your journey:
  • you become ill
  • your illness prevents you from travelling on your next flight within the validity period of your ticket; and
  • you want us to extend the validity period so that you can continue your journey;
you must give us a medical certificate. The certificate must:
  • state the facts relating to your illness and
  • confirm the date you will be fit to travel again ('the recovery date').
When we receive the certificate, we may decide to extend the validity period until either:
  • the recovery date, as long as there is a seat available on the relevant flight in the class of service for which youhave paid the fare or
  • if not, the first date after the recovery date when a seat will be available.
If the flight coupons left on your ticket involve one or more stopovers, we may decide to extend the validity periodup to a maximum of three months from the recovery date. If other members of your immediate family were travelling with you when you fell ill, we will extend the validity period of their tickets for a similar period.
NB: Definitely not any kind of lawyer. Apols if the lawyers have all just winced.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 12939
Surely 3b3) is relevant in these circumstances?

NB: Definitely not any kind of lawyer. Apols if the lawyers have all just winced.
Well spotted. That certainly seems a lot more relevant to the OP's situation than trying to rely on 3c4). To my mind if the OP were to look at going back to BA on this doing so on the basis of this clause rather than 3c4).
happeemonkee and 12939 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
There are (at least) 2 issues here.
Travel insurance is not a widely drawn form of insurance for everything. Some travel insurance covers only a very basic minimum. - If it is not listed as being covered, it isn't covered.
Secondly, BA Customer Service is hugely variable. That's why most BAEC folk on FT are very used to HUACA. Hang up and call again. Also, only call the UK number in the afternoon, UK time. You then stand a chance of speaking to someone who knows what they are doing. And if you do not like the answer, first HUACA, secondly ask for it to be escalated.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I think two things needed to happen here. First, the OP should have advised AA that they would not be travelling. If the OP was checked in for the flight then only AA could have offloaded them to avoid being a no-show. BA did not mark the OP as a no show - AA did. After that BA should have been involved to deal with the remaining coupons on the ticket. That AA marked the OP as a no-show complicated things.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well spotted. That certainly seems a lot more relevant to the OP's situation than trying to rely on 3c4). To my mind if the OP were to look at going back to BA on this doing so on the basis of this clause rather than 3c4).
That clause only seems to cate for the situation where
(a) passenger becomes ill and
(b) illness prevents travelling and
(c) passenger wants the validity period of ticket extended

The passenger doesn't, from what I can infer, want the ticket validity period extended, but want sto be able to make a change to the booking due to illness ; these are not the same thing
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
The only difference I can see is that this was a few weeks in advance, as opposed to the day of the flight. I suspect the OP had checked in, so wonder if this has anything to do with it
Lets hope for the op the main difference is rather about the medical nature of the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.