Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA SFO Lounge - Made to go to the China Airlines lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson

Just currently got to SFO and have been told by BA that i must use the Air China lounge even though there is a Cathy lounge (who did turn me away when I went to enter as I thought that the women at check in got it wrong.) Does anyone know why they are using a Skyteam lounge instead of a Oneworld? I am currently guessing it is due to BA's love of cutting costs at any given oppotunity.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I think the Ba lounge at sfo is closed for rennovations currently

regards

tbs
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think the Ba lounge at sfo is closed for rennovations currently

regards

tbs
Indeed, but I do not understand why I am being put in a Skyteam lounge when there is a oneworld (Cathy) down the corridor even though the Oneworld site clearly states that I can use the Cathy lounge
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Cathay lounge gets busy at certain times of the day. I don’t know if this is a busy time of the day.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
For the record, Air China is Star Alliance, not Skyteam (China Airlines, from Taiwan, is Skyteam as are China Eastern, and historically China Southern).
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:34 pm

It’s a China Airlines lounge at SFO. Not Air China. China Airlines is skyteam :-)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
When I was in SFO earlier this month, BA Gold members were being directed to the Cathay Lounge, which was almost empty, and everyone else to the China Airlines lounge, which was a zoo.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:01 am

Used the Cathay Lounge without issue in January - was a little busy but not too much. Maybe this is a policy change, or could just be capacity as SXC suggested.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
When I was in SFO earlier this month, BA Gold members were being directed to the Cathay Lounge, which was almost empty, and everyone else to the China Airlines lounge, which was a zoo.
That is the current policy - OWE and OWS to Cathay, every other passenger eligible for lounge access uses the China Airlines lounge. The gatekeeper at the CA lounge wouldn't even let me in, even though I was flying Club World.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by ShortDog
That is the current policy - OWE and OWS to Cathay, every other passenger eligible for lounge access uses the China Airlines lounge. The gatekeeper at the CA lounge wouldn't even let me in, even though I was flying Club World.
Indeed - although back in March I was relatively early for the 286, and was directed to the Cathay Pacific lounge per current policy, but it was pretty full. So after a quick bite to eat I went to the China Airlines lounge and it was almost empty. Of course after about an hour it started filling up, but it was relatively nice in there until about 90 minutes before departure, then it quickly became very full.

Anyway, for capacity reasons and the current arrangement they have with China Airlines, I think they're doing an OK job of splitting traffic between the two lounges, and this will be the reason for denied entry - more control over who goes to which.

However, that was a 777. In May I'll be doing the 286 on an A380 with more than twice the capacity. I cannot imagine how that will work to be honest, given how full the lounges were with a 777.

rb211.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Denied entry to CX SFO Lounge as OWE
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by Misco60
Earlier this month I got given a $28 voucher instead - which I was quite happy with as I used it to buy beers for me and a friend who was flying VS

I'm Silver, was flying CW, but as it was the a380 I'm guessing the lounges would have been pretty busy (priority queue to board was bad enough)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Just currently got to SFO and have been told by BA that i must use the Air China lounge even though there is a Cathy lounge (who did turn me away when I went to enter as I thought that the women at check in got it wrong.) Does anyone know why they are using a Skyteam lounge instead of a Oneworld? I am currently guessing it is due to BA's love of cutting costs at any given oppotunity.
Traveling from SFO back to LHR on the BA284 in J, and was proactively directed to the Cathay Lounge at checkin as I am a GCH. No problems getting in the lounge and it was pretty empty. Popped in the Air China lounge (as wanted hot food) and they had a little room set aside for GCH / F in there... decided to retreat back to Cathay as it was a lot nicer! Certainly an improvement on the BA lounge at SFO!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Yea there were reports that the Cathay staff have been refusing BA pax when the lounge was apparantly rather full. I went to the Cathay lounge a few weeks ago no problem, but it was empty.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Virgin Gold
As has been eluded to above, my experience has been CW is Air China lounge, F or Gold is Cathay lounge. In the case of the latter, they rather amusingly welcome you in by saying, "please enjoy our lounge - but don't eat the noodles, BA haven't paid for them"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.