Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Much for GCH...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Is it possible that the C cabin would be full on the return leg as I doubt BA has time to adjust the curtain whilst at the destination port?
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
TBH curtain location means nothing. Few weeks ago I flew back from AMS and the curtain was located at something like row 6 but only row 1 and 2 were CE row 3 onwards was normal ET with pax in the middle seat and getting BOB for example.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:45 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Is it possible that the C cabin would be full on the return leg as I doubt BA has time to adjust the curtain whilst at the destination port?
Moving the curtain, and re-configuring seats to bring the middle table down, is perfectly normal downroute. I’ve also seen it go wrong once, when a lady in the row behind me arrived to find a small problem in getting seated because somehow or other the table had been missed and remained down!

With the introduction of NEOs, and the loss of the middle table, the conversion from ET to CE and vv will become even quicker and easier.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
TBH curtain location means nothing. Few weeks ago I flew back from AMS and the curtain was located at something like row 6 but only row 1 and 2 were CE row 3 onwards was normal ET with pax in the middle seat and getting BOB for example.
It sounds most likely this was a broken curtain mechanism, as I’ve certainly also seen this - but it is relatively rare.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
sometimes economy restricted tickets sell out yet club europe restricted tickets are still available, hence it can be cheaper at times to get ce than eurotraveller.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Actually I usually book ET and try to get an emergency exit row, but if the curtain moves back I've found that AUPs tend to show up at the same time so I do that. Trying to snipe row 1 at T-72 to get the legroom back.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: None anymore
If it's any consolation to the OP, several times I have been reseated to a less desirable seat (to me anyway) when the curtain has been moved forward and the seat I originally chose is no longer in CE. On the most recent occasion they had moved the curtain and reseated me even though my original seat choice was still in CE - they put someone else in "my" seat.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by 12939
On the most recent occasion they had moved the curtain and reseated me even though my original seat choice was still in CE - they put someone else in "my" seat.
Wow... stupidity like that takes some effort!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by 12939
If it's any consolation to the OP, several times I have been reseated to a less desirable seat (to me anyway) when the curtain has been moved forward and the seat I originally chose is no longer in CE. On the most recent occasion they had moved the curtain and reseated me even though my original seat choice was still in CE - they put someone else in "my" seat.
Originally Posted by RG1X
Wow... stupidity like that takes some effort!
Actually this has an explanation. If rows 1-6 are all "single seaters", they bring the curtain forward from 9 to 6. but there was a couple sitting together in say 8A and 8C, they would probably try to re-accommodate them together. Thus having to move someone in the forward seats.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by alex67500
Actually I usually book ET and try to get an emergency exit row, but if the curtain moves back I've found that AUPs tend to show up at the same time so I do that. Trying to snipe row 1 at T-72 to get the legroom back.
POUG is showing, @ Ł550 per person. Bit steep

Meanwhile...the curtain on the inbound is forward again, hooray. I've just moved us back into an exit row. Although the first exit row (11) and row 10 are still blocked, so I don't suppose we're completely out of the woods yet. Outbound curtain still showing between 12 & 13.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:49 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Maybe you've just been unlucky or maybe PMI is a CE heavy route (which would surprise me). In many many ET segments, never had the curtain problem, although I know it can happen so there will probably be a first time.

just as long as it's not when the 4 of us are off to RHO later this year. Need that extra bit of space for a 4 hour flight.

By the way, silver gets you SH exit row seating. Only need gold for LH routes...

i fly this route monthly aswe have S we have a home in Mallorca this must be the busiest leisure destination 12 months a year. Don’t think I have ever seen spare seats in CE. Reason for this could be they are doing incredibly cheap CE fares from Lgw. Can rarely get legroom in row 1 even though we book months ahead.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:08 am

I just booked some flights in ET and was hoping to grab exit row seats but on both flights I have the front three rows of the cabin (10-12) are greyed out. Both are A320s. Is that because they *might* move the curtain that far back, so they're holding those seats in reserve for CE, or has something changed in terms of GCH access to exit row seats?
Old May 23, 2021, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by prof
I just booked some flights in ET and was hoping to grab exit row seats but on both flights I have the front three rows of the cabin (10-12) are greyed out. Both are A320s. Is that because they *might* move the curtain that far back, so they're holding those seats in reserve for CE, or has something changed in terms of GCH access to exit row seats?
Yes it's most likely curtain roulette. I was able to get exit row seats on a flight recently without issue.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by alex67500
Yes it's most likely curtain roulette. I was able to get exit row seats on a flight recently without issue.
And I've no doubt BA will be POUGing and AUPing all it can to get a few more quid into the bank account. To have this flexibility, BA typically grey out the front two rows of ET and the rear two rows of CE to reduce the howls of anguish if the roulette wheel spins in the wrong way.
HIDDY and alex67500 like this.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:34 am

Thanks for the replies. So at least we have a chance, I guess.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by prof
Thanks for the replies. So at least we have a chance, I guess.
If you have an EF subscription you could set up an alert on those seats. Otherwise you'll have to keep checking.
prof likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.