150 Tier points for a GUF2

Reply

Old Apr 16, 19, 2:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Glasgow
Programs: BAEC Gold, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Posts: 749
150 Tier points for a GUF2

I have a very small window (Monday 3rd June) to pick up an extra 150 TP's for a GUF2 which I have a use for.

A back to back return in CE to Malta from LGW seems one easy option, but not sure if I am missing something cheaper? I can fly from Glasgow, Edinburgh or any of the London Airports. (Can also set off from Glasgow on the Sunday afternoon). Only caveat is that I must be back in London by late night on the 6th as I have an early meeting the next morning.

Any of you experts here have any suggestions?
Vinotraveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 3:17 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: London / Brighton
Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Posts: 1,195
Have you looked at HEL for 397 CE return on Mon 3rd June?
Lucanesque is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 3:56 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oxford
Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Posts: 578
One night in Marrakesh?

382 LHR-MAD-RAK // RAK-MAD-LHR

https://www.google.co.uk/flights#flt...64*2.GBP.38164

Depends if a night out in Djemma El Fna is worth the overnight cost to you.
stuart_f is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 4:07 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 899
if you can start from GLA or EDI, why the need to fly one of the 'long' CE routes? Surely GLA/EDI - LHR - XXX will do it - maybe Amsterdam for frequency of flights and easy back to back? I can see sensible routings through LHR for under 500 (and slightly cheaper through LCY but with stupid 30 minute connections...)

you might get cheaper, but if you start in GLA or EDI, you don't really need to look for a 'long' route do you?
george77300 likes this.
ratypus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 4:20 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Glasgow
Programs: BAEC Gold, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Posts: 749
Originally Posted by ratypus View Post
if you can start from GLA or EDI, why the need to fly one of the 'long' CE routes? Surely GLA/EDI - LHR - XXX will do it - maybe Amsterdam for frequency of flights and easy back to back? I can see sensible routings through LHR for under 500 (and slightly cheaper through LCY but with stupid 30 minute connections...)

you might get cheaper, but if you start in GLA or EDI, you don't really need to look for a 'long' route do you?
Apologies - I think I worded my initial message badly, I have already factored in the GLA-London and return 80TP's that I knew I was taking for work anyway. The 150TP's are the additional points needed.

Looking at the two suggestions now (RAK and HEL). Many thanks
Vinotraveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 4:26 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 899
ah OK - in which case just a question of checking which of the 'long' routes is coming up cheapest for a day / Sunday overnight return: and whether it's cheaper to do an ex-London fare or a 'through' fare from GLA/EDI
ratypus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 5:50 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brighton UK
Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Posts: 560
Check the new Corsica ( Bastia) out of LHR pays out 160 TPs and a shorter route than MLA & probably less likely to be so CE heavy as HEL is
bisonrav likes this.
TWCLAM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 5:57 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 712
Originally Posted by TWCLAM View Post
Check the new Corsica ( Bastia) out of LHR pays out 160 TPs and a shorter route than MLA & probably less likely to be so CE heavy as HEL is
My understanding is that Bastia only gets 80 TPs for a return.
Rubecula is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 6:00 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 16
Without being able to offer a specific example, I often use Google Flights. I set the date as same day return, select the cabin as business and limit the airline to 'One World'. I'll then scroll around the map looking if something is interesting, and if prices don't look good I'll change the date.

I often do this for some lounge trips, and occasionally an overnight stay. I find the tool great to visually see the price on the destination. You would need to calculate your tier points on the BA website, but you probably have an idea of 'distance' required (e.g Malta, HEL).

Note - This also assumes you are paying cash, not reward. It also is best for Point-to-Point flights rather than connecting.

https://i.imgur.com/7vlxTMw.jpg For Example
george77300 likes this.
Sailbot3310 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:01 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Posts: 9,306
Originally Posted by Sailbot3310 View Post
Without being able to offer a specific example, I often use Google Flights. I set the date as same day return, select the cabin as business and limit the airline to 'One World'. I'll then scroll around the map looking if something is interesting, and if prices don't look good I'll change the date.

I often do this for some lounge trips, and occasionally an overnight stay. I find the tool great to visually see the price on the destination. You would need to calculate your tier points on the BA website, but you probably have an idea of 'distance' required (e.g Malta, HEL).

Note - This also assumes you are paying cash, not reward. It also is best for Point-to-Point flights rather than connecting.

https://i.imgur.com/7vlxTMw.jpg For Example
Would have been nice to follow your link, but it seems to be broken "as it contains errors". Another try?
onobond is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:04 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 16
Sorry, try this one? https://imgur.com/a/CAOO9Zb

it's my first time trying to upload an image... I use for google flights the filters 'One World' and 'Business' as you can see in the screen shot. You'll need to manually change the dates, but in 30 minutes you can often find a great same-day return for a reasonable price.

Hope this helps - Ignore the prices in my date, they're not helpful. I was merely using this as an example of how it would look . You can zoom in to see more airports over a specific area.
george77300 likes this.
Sailbot3310 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:18 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by Sailbot3310 View Post
Sorry, try this one? https://imgur.com/a/CAOO9Zb

it's my first time trying to upload an image... I use for google flights the filters 'One World' and 'Business' as you can see in the screen shot. You'll need to manually change the dates, but in 30 minutes you can often find a great same-day return for a reasonable price.

Hope this helps - Ignore the prices in my date, they're not helpful. I was merely using this as an example of how it would look . You can zoom in to see more airports over a specific area.
I've done that before too. A good tool. However if there are just a couple of destination options (because you want a 80TP each way such as HEL/MLA etc...) You can then put in the destination (Again Oneworld and Business and select 0 night or 1 night as you wish) and you can see the price for that route for the trip for 2 months at a time. Can be useful if you see some destinations are always cheaper than others. (Or in my case recently quickly looking over the next 4 months what days are the cheapest for the LA MAD-FRA (J) fare. - not at all useful for you however for 160TP)
george77300 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:23 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 25,253
Originally Posted by Rubecula View Post
My understanding is that Bastia only gets 80 TPs for a return.
Yes that's right, Bastia (BIA) at just under 800 miles would be someway short of a short haul + route. There is a comprehensive list of all the sh+ routes in post 1 of the TP run thread.
TWCLAM likes this.
KARFA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:26 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Glasgow
Programs: BAEC Gold, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Posts: 749
Originally Posted by Sailbot3310 View Post
Sorry, try this one? https://imgur.com/a/CAOO9Zb

it's my first time trying to upload an image... I use for google flights the filters 'One World' and 'Business' as you can see in the screen shot. You'll need to manually change the dates, but in 30 minutes you can often find a great same-day return for a reasonable price.

Hope this helps - Ignore the prices in my date, they're not helpful. I was merely using this as an example of how it would look . You can zoom in to see more airports over a specific area.
That is a very useful tier used in conjunction with my list of 80TP routes. Was on the phone to book HEL return at 397 earlier on but the price then jumped up to over 500 so will continuing considering options.
Vinotraveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 10:18 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,287
HEL can't be done as a day trip for 397 (despite what google flights says) but is possible as an overnight.
bisonrav is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread