Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thank you- first ex INV booked

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I booked my b2b INV-LAS ticket for £1039, and on top of that had £200 cash back from Amex so quite pleased. Was also a little worried, but b2b at INV really is hilariously easy.

I need to go again later in the year so might book another one shortly
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:36 pm

Can anyone advise on how to do a flight from Inverness (it seems only at weekends) to London Heathrow around midday, and then take the 11:50 from LGW. the following day. (So less than 24 hrs connection for APD)

Would rather a night in London than a 5am start in Inverness!

When you book with avios, the ba.com offers a stopover. But I don't see this on a cash fare.

(and will it make it the usual crazy £1000+ fare increase!)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:56 pm

Sorry to jump on this thread but I have an ex-INV question. Flying INV-LHR-LGW-MCO in July, positioning LHR-INV the day before on the nightstopper.

I’m planning to leave our luggage at left luggage at LHR, travel hand baggage to INV and then collect luggage before getting taxi to LGW. Is this doable/ sensible or am I expected to haul my luggage to INV and back?

And a supplementary question if I may - any recommendations on taxi services LHR-LGW?

Thanks in advance!
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by flygod
Can anyone advise on how to do a flight from Inverness (it seems only at weekends) to London Heathrow around midday, and then take the 11:50 from LGW. the following day. (So less than 24 hrs connection for APD)

Would rather a night in London than a 5am start in Inverness!

When you book with avios, the ba.com offers a stopover. But I don't see this on a cash fare.

(and will it make it the usual crazy £1000+ fare increase!)
I've done 3 ex INV flights with the INV b2b being completed the day before the LH flight to USA. I do a multi city, open jaw search to find some flights and itinerary e.g. Nov 30 INV-LHR; Dec 01 LGW-LAS; DEC 11 LAS-LON prices up at £1342 in CW on Skyscanner. While more expensive, I can't be bothered with ending my trips with a b2b to INV so just do open jaws to either LHR or LGW on returning to the UK.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by 123Harps
....I expected to haul my luggage to INV and back?
No you are not expected to haul your luggage to INV. For online check in purposes, I believe you should state that you are not sure how many bags you are going to check in- but others will correct me or enlighten you on this point. Other than that, INV is a straightforward and easy B2B.
123Harps likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA
Sitting in a similar position and looking for reassurance. My flight lands from LHR at INV at 1805 and then there is a return to LHR at 1900. I'm planning to book separately on the 1900. I will have checked bags, but I assume it's as easy as pick up bags, re check, security and back on the plane?
​​​​​​I assume if the plane is late arriving there will still be check in staff. I can get a good deal for £120 CE rtn.
Edit: correct baggage and flight times

Last edited by biertje; Apr 16, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by biertje
Sitting in a similar position and looking for reassurance. My flight lands from LHR at INV at 1805 and then there is a return to LHR at 1700. I'm planning to book separately on the 1700. I will have carry on, but I assume it's as easy as pick up bags, re check, security and back on the plane?
​​​​​​I assume if the plane is late arriving there will still be check in staff. I can get a good deal for £120 CE rtn.
if you have carry on bags only what are you re-checking? You need to check in for your INV-LHR leg before you leave LHR on your positioning flight.

with carry on bags only get off and follow the signs for arrivals through the baggage hall and out landside then back through security. Should take no more than 10 minutes at most to get back to the gate. It’s a small airport so distances are minimal.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

if you have carry on bags only what are you re-checking? You need to check in for your INV-LHR leg before you leave LHR on your positioning flight.

with carry on bags only get off and follow the signs for arrivals through the baggage hall and out landside then back through security. Should take no more than 10 minutes at most to get back to the gate. It’s a small airport so distances are minimal.
Whoops checked bags I mean.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Sitting in a similar position and looking for reassurance. My flight lands from LHR at INV at 1805 and then there is a return to LHR at 1900. I'm planning to book separately on the 1900. I will have checked bags, but I assume it's as easy as pick up bags, re check, security and back on the plane?
Edit: correct baggage and flight times
DO NOT BOOK THIS

You cannot do a B2B with baggage at INV with these flight timings.

Bag drop closes 45 minutes before departure and there is no way you'll be able to meet that deadline with checked bags.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Whoops checked bags I mean.
Effectively not possible on any shorthaul Back to Back except for a handful of LCY and LGW flights, or overnight B2Bs (so where the aircraft back to London stayed overnight). INV day time B2B isn't going to work with checked luggage, you need another approach there. The reason being that checked luggage needs to be in the system 45 minutes before departure.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:54 pm

Thanks! That is irritating. An overnight in INV it is.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks! That is irritating. An overnight in INV it is.
Or check your baggage at LHR after INV-LHR. So using a friend, car parked nearby, hotel or the checked luggage facilities at all LHR terminals. Usually it is possible to check LHR-ORD (or whatever) before going to INV if LHR-ORD is the same day of travel. Or have a long connection in LHR sufficient for you to stay overnight in LHR or London. Or go HBO if travelling for less than 3 months.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Or check your baggage at LHR after INV-LHR. So using a friend, car parked nearby, hotel or the checked luggage facilities at all LHR terminals. Usually it is possible to check LHR-ORD (or whatever) before going to INV if LHR-ORD is the same day of travel. Or have a long connection in LHR sufficient for you to stay overnight in LHR or London. Or go HBO if travelling for less than 3 months.
This would be for the return leg so coming back from the US. Is there an option to collect my bags at Heathrow leave them in a locker and then collect on the way back?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:13 pm

This would be for the return leg so coming back from the US. Is there an option to collect my bags at Heathrow leave them in a locker and then collect on the way back?
It's not a locker, it's the Excess Baggage Company shop by Marks and Spencer in Arrivals. But yes, it's quick to deposit items there, it can take 10 minutes to retrieve items after storage.

However note that depending on where you are starting, there is a high chance of baggage being checked to the final destination, presumably INV, and so it won't automatically come out in LHR.

I would perhaps suggest you read the main B2B thread - and perhaps the archive since it was recently refreshed. It's a great way to save money, and many here who use it are HBO travellers anyway, but if travelling with checked luggage you need to think it through.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not a locker, it's the Excess Baggage Company shop by Marks and Spencer in Arrivals. But yes, it's quick to deposit items there, it can take 10 minutes to retrieve items after storage.

However note that depending on where you are starting, there is a high chance of baggage being checked to the final destination, presumably INV, and so it won't automatically come out in LHR.

I would perhaps suggest you read the main B2B thread - and perhaps the archive since it was recently refreshed. It's a great way to save money, and many here who use it are HBO travellers anyway, but if travelling with checked luggage you need to think it through.
Thanks for all the tips. I suspect it will go straight through to INV. Would be nice to break up the day as this would be my 5th flight in a row so perhaps I will just stay the night. I will have.a read of the other threads. Thanks the help given on these forums is always great, much appreciated .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.