Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA dumps FT (the pink one, not this one)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:26 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
The same might be said these days of people flying BA.

One morning recently sitting in the GCS I heard a couple who I don't think were frequent flyers raging that there were no quality newspapers available, I listened a bit longer and they were looking for a Daily Mail and Daily Express. If that is a typical CE flyer these days then it's not surprising BA think they can dump the FT.

That said, we seem to be getting back in to a world where every time you travel on BA something else has been 'enhanced' so for me they are now going to be enhanced in my future travel plans.
We don't no the reason for the removal of the FT. but I would hazard a guess that the majority of frequent fliers either read the Mail, Express or a red top. As for "enhancing" have you tried the new First service, the improved bedding and food in CW the new CE menu's and now we have the new CWS to look forward too. I see an airline that has starting to re-invest in its customers experience and that it is probably why last week both my flights in F were full as were the feeder flights from / to Manchester.
Sealink and navylad like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Avios
So, good idea that airlines provide at least one 'quality' newspaper to their customers, but I feel the FT can be just as opinionated as the similar Times (London) - just not the same owners. Very hard to find any UK newspaper which does not have an axe to grind! I don't think this will make any difference to the BA flight experience.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
All newspapers have an axe to grind and their editors' or owners' opinions are mostly what drives that. However, it is nice to have a range of axes to choose from. I find you can get to the bottom of most things if you listen to/read a wide variety of sources.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
...............now we have the new CWS to look forward too. ......................
Please say it isn't true!
bisonrav likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
and now we have the new CWS to look forward too.
Originally Posted by LSunbury
Please say it isn't true!
I’m glad I’m not then only one who did a double take at this. Poor old @corporate-wage-slave - whatever has he done to deserve being “enhanced”?!
Jagboi and wilsnunn like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:01 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by DCAFly
Are you serious!? When United stopped stocking Fashion Doll Quarterly (https://www.fashiondollquarterly.co/) and Cranes Today (Cranes Today) that was it for me!
Am I the one that clicked that to see if it was about heavy machinery or the Japanese birds?

I was going to say, surely Lufthansa and JAL still feature it.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Misco60
Would you mind explaining why you believe the FT is "anti-democratic" and "a comic"? Genuinely interested.
If one could hazard a guess, the “anti-democratic” tag is nowadays only ever used by a member of the 52%, and only ever about anyone who dares to express an opinion in the opposite direction.

The FT is known to be in the latter category, which (to those of the above mindset) becomes a supposed marker of lack of quality rather than, say, just expressing a different view.
Skimo, kaka and alex67500 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:11 pm

Annoying. I quite enjoyed reading the FT... and no, I don't find reading a newspaper on a tablet to be anywhere near as satisfying (or as easy to do for that matter).

I guess I'll just have to remember to bring something with me if I can't rely on BA providing anything worth reading.
Silver Fox and TPRun like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Great news that BA have dumped this anti- democratic rag. In the real business world it is considered a comic.
Er, no it’s not.

And I doubt a lot of business people would be keen to do business with someone who walked around saying it was.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by newflya
But increasingly, what I see network carriers' products that are so bare-bones that I as well might fly FR (purchasing priority and a coffee and a sandwich at the airport).
Yep, BA is busy copying Ryanair. Non-reclining seats coming soon too (the seat pitch on the mainline fleet is already like FR). Quite interesting how they are expect to compete with FR with basically the same product but a higher cost base.
lhrpete and navylad like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles

Er, no it’s not.

And I doubt a lot of business people would be keen to do business with someone who walked around saying it was.
I suspect his ideology is that he doesn’t care. This is inevitably all related to the B-word, isn’t it?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’m quite sad about this - it’s my highlight getting off a flight at Heathrow to pick up a copy of th FT for my trip home and indeed pre flight ritual! Rarely read the FT otherwise.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Yep, BA is busy copying Ryanair.
The last time I took Ryanair from Gatwick there were loads of papers and magazines to choose from. No Private Eye, but the New Stateman / The Spectator featured. Not sure about the FT, though. Admittedly it's provided by the airport rather than the airline, but Ryanair pays the airport its fees to do so.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
By the same token, most business people I know would be at least raise their eyebrows at someone who claims everyone in their 30s with kids and money lives in West London.

(I couldn't be bothered to respond in that thread, but fair to say the Raffles world view isn't the only one out there.)
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Pressreader:

The Guardian
The New European

#YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.