Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA dumps FT (the pink one, not this one)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The FT is on pressreader but unfortunately it is not included in the list of free publications when accessing via BA - this was the case from when pressreader started late last year.
ajamieson, A1pax and TPRun like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Does this mean we're now down to the Times alone in the lounges?

The Weekend FT in particular is a wonderful read - well worth the Ł4.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:24 am
Suspended

FT is a good read.
AC may think this is a good thing, sometimes cost cutting just may not work.
tbm13 and TPRun like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
Press Reader is the way forward. Just sayin’
My free, local library supplied, Press Reader subscription doesn't include the FT or any other financial papers. Do they come with the paid version?
A1pax likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:48 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Are people really going to choose their airline on the basis of the FT being available. Nope didn’t think so.
Yes... I have more than once had a negative feeling seeing a stack of newspapers consisting entirely of the daily mail on BA and previously BMI. I’ve joked with the FAs, oh just the daily mail, no thanks. I’ve commented to others, Oh European business/club class, what’s that a bread roll and salad leaves with a copy of the daily mail.

Every little counts when you’re talking denigration of your brand. I might not choose it because it doesn’t have a paper, but I’ll think twice if everyone I bump into thinks it’s a poor product and bad service.
dajdavies and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:28 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
I just asked for it in the F Lounge T5 to be told 'strange, but we got no delivery today.' Then I looked here. Very annoying. The Sun or Times seem to be the options.
tbm13 and TPRun like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
People should feedback to BA
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by dddc
Can I ask those of you who read the FT regularly, how you get it normally? Do you only read the free copy provided in your office? Or do you actually put your hand in your pocket and buy a copy?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally pay for a digital subscription out of pocket. It's the cheapest paid option so I don't have the luxury of things like a physical paper to read while traveling (I do have and use the app). It was nice to be able to stow my devices and indulge in a physical paper. Ending this particular service isn't a deal breaker, but definitely cheapens the experience.
ba_cityflyer, alpenlupe and TPRun like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Giving out free copies of newspapers in order to boost circulation is very much a thing of the past in the UK, at least for the quality dailies. Volume discounts are available however, as you would expect with any product.
Big pile of FTs has appeared each morning in our WeWork reception for the past 6-8 weeks!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by Raffles
Big pile of FTs has appeared each morning in our WeWork reception for the past 6-8 weeks!
Free to the end reader but WeWork would pay for these copies if I understand correctly
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
People should feedback to BA
I have just done that:

=================================================
So I notice the Financial TImes has now been "enhanced away" from your lounges.

No doubt somebody will come out with a press release saying that it has been done "to improve the customer experience" as "many customers complained they had difficulty deciding which newspaper to read".

I am amazed you think that so few of your customers are actually interested in business and finance.

Just don't bother sending me a standard form reply.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:07 am

Doesn't really matter to me as I've long gone FT app based via my partners school alumni address but that's likely to end soon, and no qualms to pay the €220 or so a year for online only subscription.

That said, for those that say it doesn't matter - it is exactly the same as when people argue (your seat light didn't work, they ran out of champagne) that it isn't part of the product (flat bed) thus it doesn't matter. Or the converse when the seat doesn't work (you sat in the cabin, got the food and lounge). All I can say "aaaargh" - it is all part of an advertised products (ok FT isn't as such advertised for the pedantics) and it does matter whether supplied or not. Now left London, so my affinity to BAEC can finally decrease (hint: grass isn't greener!).
Silver Fox, wrp96 and TPRun like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:18 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by newflya
There is the incremental passenger for whom it matters. On occasion, I've booked short-haul LX over short-haul LH in C because LX has the Economist while LH does not.

It differs from pax to pax. I'm always surprised which emphasis many people put on the quality of the catering on board... I guess I'm a bit of an oddball that I care a lot about newspapers and magazines.

But, ultimately, I feel the unbundling is going too far. Yes, I want an FT. Yes, I want a glass of water free of charge in Euro Traveller. Etc.

I'm not surprised IAG is losing out to FR and co. on the short haul. The network carriers are over-confident that due to the big data they're collecting via apps, FF programs, co-branded CCs, etc., they have various means to incentivize customers. But increasingly, what I see network carriers' products that are so bare-bones that I as well might fly FR (purchasing priority and a coffee and a sandwich at the airport). EDIT: And an FT, ofc.
Are you suggesting Ryan air passengers will miss the FT. On my one and only experience with them (yes it was that bad) half the clientele would have struggled with The Beano
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Great news that BA have dumped this anti- democratic rag. In the real business world it is considered a comic.
Silver Fox and dubistokay like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Great news that BA have dumped this anti- democratic rag. In the real business world it is considered a comic.
Would you mind explaining why you believe the FT is "anti-democratic" and "a comic"? Genuinely interested.
dajdavies and Dover2Golf like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.