Urgent Question/ Re-Routing

Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:48 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Urgent Question/ Re-Routing

We are on the OTP-PHX run but tomorrow's 8 am BA 6031 to London is delayed by 2 hours.
This will destroy our original itinerary as we only have a 2 hour connection in London for our flight to JFK and then further to PHX.

Question:
1. Would we get original routing credit independently on the routing which they chose for us to arrive in PHX
2. If we suggest a routing - would we still be eligible for original routing credit
3. If we arrive later than 4 hours with a routing suggested by us (LHR-JFK-PHX) - would we be eligible for the EU261 compensation?

Many thanks for your combined input!

For reference our original routing is

HEL-LHR AY1331/ BA6031 (delayed by 2 hours April 16 / noticed via test message and email)
LHR - JFK BA173
JFK -LAX AA53
LAX - PHX AA3258
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Is this all on one ticket? And is it an AA ticket (ticket number starts 001) or a BA ticket (125). This light seem trivial, but matters because AA don’t offer ORC but BA do.

Do you know what your re-route is yet? It might be a higher value routing, or if on non-one world airlines allow you to ‘double-dip’.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:27 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Is this all on one ticket? And is it an AA ticket (ticket number starts 001) or a BA ticket (125). This light seem trivial, but matters because AA don’t offer ORC but BA do.

Do you know what your re-route is yet? It might be a higher value routing, or if on non-one world airlines allow you to ‘double-dip’.
- All on one ticket
- It is an AA 001 ticket
- We have not yet been contacted on re-routing

AA not offering ORC?? This would mean we lose the TPs with a routing not in favour?

What do you suggest?
What is a "double dip" ?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
You say "we" are there two of you ? There are two seats on J left on the Finnair flight HEL to JFK (AY5) which should get you back on track but leaving you 80TP down.

All the best.. Of to OTP myself tomorrow to position for our run on Wednesday

Last edited by sunshinebob; Apr 15, 2019 at 2:58 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Shl
What do you suggest?
What do you want?

To arrive in PHX as close to your original schedule as possible, or maximisation of TPs?

You mention this is a TP run, therefore I will assume maximisation of TPs if the priority.

I would just go with it - I am assuming you are in HEL right now anyway, so just go to the airport as normal tomorow since AY could pull in another aircraft to operate on time (it has happened before on this particular sector). In any case, getting to LHR should be the priority since you will have infinitely more options from there. You could ask to be routed onto the first BA service of the day (if there is space), and you'll meet the rest of your schedule no problem
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:35 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Here is our original routing. First leg now 2 hours delayed.

Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Shl
We are on the OTP-PHX run but tomorrow's 8 am BA 6031 to London is delayed by 2 hours.
This will destroy our original itinerary as we only have a 2 hour connection in London for our flight to JFK and then further to PHX.

Question:
1. Would we get original routing credit independently on the routing which they chose for us to arrive in PHX
2. If we suggest a routing - would we still be eligible for original routing credit
3. If we arrive later than 4 hours with a routing suggested by us (LHR-JFK-PHX) - would we be eligible for the EU261 compensation?

Many thanks for your combined input!

For reference our original routing is

HEL-LHR AY1331/ BA6031 (delayed by 2 hours April 16 / noticed via test message and email)
LHR - JFK BA173
JFK -LAX AA53
LAX - PHX AA3258
I would go with it to LHR at least and then see what happens. You don't want to over complicate. This has happened to me before and Finnair could swap aircraft so you change overnight to on-time or just less late and still make the connection. Being stuck in HEL would not be as good for onward options compared to LHR.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Hi Shl
I have received ORC when I have suggested the routing but frustratingly, they may not rebook you until they know you are late arriving into Heathrow.
Regarding EU261, if you choose a routing that gets you there over 4 hours late in preference to one the airline chooses which gets you there within the 4 hour delay window, I recall posts or discussions that say the claim was denied as the chosen reroute was voluntary.
Might want to check JFK-PHX as no flights showing for sale after 11am tomorrow on aa.com
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:41 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rossmacd
What do you want?

To arrive in PHX as close to your original schedule as possible, or maximisation of TPs?

You mention this is a TP run, therefore I will assume maximisation of TPs if the priority.

I would just go with it - I am assuming you are in HEL right now anyway, so just go to the airport as normal tomorow since AY could pull in another aircraft to operate on time (it has happened before on this particular sector). In any case, getting to LHR should be the priority since you will have infinitely more options from there. You could ask to be routed onto the first BA service of the day (if there is space), and you'll meet the rest of your schedule no problem
Thanks Rossmacd

I have just posted our original routing.

1. From the text message and email it does not seem that they will operate the flight any earlier than 10 am

"AY1331 Helsinki - London Heathrow departure at 08:00 will be delayed. Estimated new departure time is: 16.04.2019 at 10:00 . Finnair will contact you if reservation changes are necessary. Arrive at the airport in good time before the new departure time. Check-in and Baggage Drop desk close 45 minutes before the NEW departure time. You can collect a service voucher at airport self-service kiosks or at Finnair Service Desk. For further information and assistance please contact Finnair Customer Service "

2. Maximising TP is priority

3. My worry is, that they get us on the direct BA289 LHR-PHX - thus the question on ORC

4. If we called AA - what would be the best strategy to keep our TP (JFK-LAX-PHX)
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
OP has raised same question in TP run thread so receiving answers there as well
EDIT - now moved to this thread

Last edited by gcuk; Apr 15, 2019 at 2:55 pm Reason: Cross post fixed by mods
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Shl
- All on one ticket
- It is an AA 001 ticket
- We have not yet been contacted on re-routing

AA not offering ORC?? This would mean we lose the TPs with a routing not in favour?

What do you suggest?
What is a "double dip" ?
One of the disadvantages of an AA based ticket is that they tend to credit for what you actually fly unless you end up rebooked on a service on (e.g.) Delta. In which case they typically do give ORC and you can double dip by claiming from Delta / Skyteam too under their schemes.

If you are trying to maximise TPs, and you are OK to arrive a day late you could try and simply rebook everything from London onwards by up to 24 hours later. Getting to JFK tomorrow won't be difficult. What you need to decide is whether you're OK to forsake 80 TPs by taking the direct Finnair service from HEL to JFK to get back on schedule there; or alternatively do something like HEL-BRU-LHR and then rebook from London (probably meaning JFK-PHX is the next day). If maximising breaks is the key, yes, suggest alternatives to the agents, mostly they'll go along with anything sensible so long as it isn't too far off the line.

Also note the possibility of Finnair getting back on schedule overnight if they find another aircraft/crew.

Also note there is a HEL-MAN service departing at 08:20, getting to MAN at 09:20, which gets you to LHR at 13:20.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:47 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcuk
Hi Shl
I have received ORC when I have suggested the routing but frustratingly, they may not rebook you until they know you are late arriving into Heathrow.
Regarding EU261, if you choose a routing that gets you there over 4 hours late in preference to one the airline chooses which gets you there within the 4 hour delay window, I recall posts or discussions that say the claim was denied as the chosen reroute was voluntary.
Might want to check JFK-PHX as no flights showing for sale after 11am tomorrow on aa.com
Hi gcuk - many thanks for your reply!
Expertflyer still shows space on the BA2879 and this is my worry.
If AA booked us on the BA codeshare -we would lose 180 TPs ... Thus my question on ORC.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:52 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One of the disadvantages of an AA based ticket is that they tend to credit for what you actually fly unless you end up rebooked on a service on (e.g.) Delta. In which case they typically do give ORC and you can double dip by claiming from Delta / Skyteam too under their schemes.

If you are trying to maximise TPs, and you are OK to arrive a day late you could try and simply rebook everything from London onwards by up to 24 hours later. Getting to JFK tomorrow won't be difficult. What you need to decide is whether you're OK to forsake 80 TPs by taking the direct Finnair service from HEL to JFK to get back on schedule there; or alternatively do something like HEL-BRU-LHR and then rebook from London (probably meaning JFK-PHX is the next day). If maximising breaks is the key, yes, suggest alternatives to the agents, mostly they'll go along with anything sensible so long as it isn't too far off the line.

Also note the possibility of Finnair getting back on schedule overnight if they find another aircraft/crew.
Many thanks CWS for the good thoughts. And yes, we are sitting at the Hilton in HEL.
What would you predict they do, if we did nothing tonight and just arrived at our flight tomorrow?
If then, they could not bring us to PHX on time
- from your answer I understand we would lose TPs
- but could we perhaps be entitled for EU261 compensation - if in any case we would arrive 4 hours late?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Shl
Hi gcuk - many thanks for your reply!
Expertflyer still shows space on the BA2879 and this is my worry.
If AA booked us on the BA codeshare -we would lose 180 TPs ... Thus my question on ORC.
Where will you lose 180TP? Codeshare between AA and BA should give same TP.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:56 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcuk
where will you lose 180tp? Codeshare between aa and ba should give same tp.
lhr - phx 140

lhr -jfk - lax -phx 320

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.