Sorry the First Wing isn't open yet

Old Apr 15, 19, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Sorry the First Wing isn't open yet

At 05:20 this morning, HAL's security screening agents had yet to appear for duty in the First Wing. Frantic phone calls and knocking on the big doors ensued, but nothing.

As a result, there was a huge line of angry looking GCHs snaking all the way out of the F check-in. The very good BA agent guarding access to the F zone did her best to keep people informed and was very apologetic (not really her fault or BA's).

In the end I abandoned the wait and managed to race through south fast track and into the CCR. Eventually, some of those who had persevered with the First Wing arrived.

This is the second time in a few months that this has happened to me. Anyone else experienced it?
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's not something I've experienced, however the first flights out of T5 today are at 06:20 (MAD) and then 06:35 (BRU).....
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yeah back in January...except they forgot to open the doors through to the lounge everything else was working. If it wasn't open & queueing already I just go round to the fast track, security. No big deal.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:50 am

I think you'd probably need to be cutting it really fine to have to rely on the First Wing... so yeah, I'd probably just pop over to fast track (and if REALLY FINE just ask nicely if I can skip past some people).
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:53 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Definitely shouldn't happen. Made worse because the First Wing is such an improvement on what was before.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: Mucci Silver, BA GFL / GGL, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Sounds like I dodged this today. LHR business parking dropped right by North this morning so I used North Fast Track for my 06.45 departure.It was much busier than I expected but at least it was moving.. even managed to get a jovial security man who suggested that it was my bright socks that set off the detector 😊
corporate-wage-slave and RG1X like this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It's not something I've experienced, however the first flights out of T5 today are at 06:20 (MAD) and then 06:35 (BRU).....
The time of the first flights isn't really the point though is it? Opening a key artery through the airport 20-25 minutes late, with a knock on queue backlog of another 20 minutes, and making your tired and stressed customers stand pointlessly in a terminal at the crack of dawn is the point.

As it happens, I had to finish a presentation, collect my thoughts, eat some breakfast and make a few calls to the far east. I achieved none of that.
Fruitcake likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 8:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer View Post
The time of the first flights isn't really the point though is it? Opening a key artery through the airport 20-25 minutes late, with a knock on queue backlog of another 20 minutes, and making your tired and stressed customers stand pointlessly in a terminal at the crack of dawn is the point.
You certainly have a point, not least because you have to work on the basis that these are BA's best customers too. And had I come in from HKG or SIN to find the First Wing closed then I would not have been impressed - even though Fast Track isn't too far off luckily. But yes, otherwise I spend enough time in airports to keep it to a minimum if I can.
Old Apr 15, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
As someone who has spent rather a lot of time in Asia, might I have license to point out that many folk in Asia do not like their region being called "the far east". Ipswich is the "far east" . Asia is Asia.
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer View Post
As someone who has spent rather a lot of time in Asia, might I have license to point out that many folk in Asia do not like their region being called "the far east". Ipswich is the "far east" . Asia is Asia.
But is literally is far east, Asia is far and east from the UK (which is the area we are talking about).

If they want to call us the far west, they can, I don't think many Europeans will cry over it.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
And to those of us in Ipswich, the honour belongs to Lowestoft.

I was on the 6:35 to Brussels last week. I arrived at TFW at 04:50. Some of us have longish journeys to LHR and the vagaries of driving, parking and weather mean I always allow more than a gnat's whisker of contingency. I'd have been miffed to lose 30 mins waiting for the magic doors to open. Presumably it'd be like waiting for a bus - after 10 mins or so you'd be thinking "Surely any time now - so it's not worth going the long way round...".

And like the earlier poster, I had plenty to do before catching the flight. Standing around wasn't in the plan.
Old Apr 15, 19, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
And to those of us in Ipswich, the honour belongs to Lowestoft.
And to those of us in Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich is the Wild West!
IAMORGAN, mikeyfly and Takiteasy like this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
You learn something every day! I hope I haven't seriously offended the hundreds of persons in front of whom I have made reference to the Far East!?
nancypants and TWCLAM like this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, Accor Gold, LATAM PASS Black
Even BA refers to East Asia as Far East!
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
All a bit storm in a tea-cup isn't it?

A poor show on the part of HAL/BA, but the alternative route is available. Those who chose to queue 'n fume had an easy remedy.
Sealink and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread