Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded in Vegas - BA274

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

50 Hour Delay? - BA274

Ouch!

BA274 LAS-LHR due to depart Vegas at 21:30 on Wednesday 10th delayed..... a lot! Now showing expected departure Friday 12th at 23:00.

That hardly seems possible but lots of talk on Twitter of passengers stranded at Vegas airport with little info from BA so seems to be true.

I know there's a lot of passengers on a 747 but seems amazing that with that length of delay they haven't been able to re-book passengers e.g. on one of the many flights between Vegas and LA then onwards to LHR.

Perhaps someone in the know can confirm this is a true delay or rubbish it - and if it's a true delay perhaps provide insight into how long BA would leave passengers before finding them alternative flights.

Last edited by Brigadier Big Moustache; Apr 11, 2019 at 3:45 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Certainly looking at EF yesterday's BA275 made it to Las Vegas and it's showing an arrival at 7.12 pm and, sure enough, the corresponding BA 274 to LHR is just showing as "Scheduled" with no actual departure time. So it would appear to be delayed. No idea why.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Yes, the aircraft appears to have gone tech at LAS. LAS-LAX is a popular sector for me and flights are often full so not much scope there, usually Vegas is good at accommodating disrupted passengers (either in hotels or on alternative flights).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have a colleague on this flight so I can shed some light. All the passengers were boarded but then during the pre-flight fumes were discovered in the cabin. Everyone was off-loaded and the crew had to be taken to hospital as a precaution. Then there were some minimum rest requirements which meant that the earliest they can take off is 2300 local on Friday. There's a major trade show in Las Vegas this week that means that all alternative routing is pretty much booked up. Eventually after several calls to the Gold line he managed to join the rest of us on tomorrow's BA2276 to Gatwick.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebilly_b
I have a colleague on this flight so I can shed some light. All the passengers were boarded but then during the pre-flight fumes were discovered in the cabin. Everyone was off-loaded and the crew had to be taken to hospital as a precaution. Then there were some minimum rest requirements which meant that the earliest they can take off is 2300 local on Friday. There's a major trade show in Las Vegas this week that means that all alternative routing is pretty much booked up. Eventually after several calls to the Gold line he managed to join the rest of us on tomorrow's BA2276 to Gatwick.

Great insight Billy - thanks.

Nice to see that the crew were taken to hospital as a precaution, and the passengers taken to the terminal as a precaution ;-)
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:53 pm

I should add that BA are covering hotels up to $200/night in this scenario - which last night got you a room at the Belagio, so not all bad!
wrp96, jjmoore and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Interesting Mixed fleet crews have so long to rest. I do know that if LGW staff fly to Vegas on Sunday they work Monday nights flight home just like a Boston, New York, Washington, Miami etc and are in dispute with BA which is fully expected to turn into industrial action. I’m guessing it’s contractually different for LGW staff but would have thought minimum rest period would be a legal thing.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Reroutes don't have to be via LAX. There are AA flights to pretty much every AA/BA gateway to LON and my guess is that the people who persisted and who have status got themselves onto one of the many connecting services unless they wanted the extra night in LAS.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Interesting Mixed fleet crews have so long to rest. I do know that if LGW staff fly to Vegas on Sunday they work Monday nights flight home just like a Boston, New York, Washington, Miami etc and are in dispute with BA which is fully expected to turn into industrial action. I’m guessing it’s contractually different for LGW staff but would have thought minimum rest period would be a legal thing.
The cabin crew operating the 275 also do the following days 274. One night stop only
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

The cabin crew operating the 275 also do the following days 274. One night stop only
So why was this flight delayed from Wednesday to 2300 Friday due to crew rest issues? Surely this crew would have arrived before?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, Le Club Accor Hotels Silver, Marriott Gold
I understand a number of Crew have been declared unfit to operate due to the fume event so a new crew had to be sent to Las Vegas. You can’t just fly out to Vegas and operate back, the new crew need sufficient rest before operating back.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:40 am

When the ash cloud hit Iceland and all flights were disrupted i got stuck in Vegas with my wife for 8 day's. And you know what? There are definetly worst places to get stuck. We enjoyed the extra week and made the best out of it.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

So why was this flight delayed from Wednesday to 2300 Friday due to crew rest issues? Surely this crew would have arrived before?
I know there are rules for crew when the midnight boundary gets crossed - if they were in hospital until the early hours of Thursday then it's possible they couldn't work that same night.
Also consider if the flight crew were also tied up, they have much more generous rest times, so this could have been a simpler resolution than flying out a standby flight crew.

Would you want to be on a flight operated by someone who'd had little sleep, and was then expected to work a 14-15hr shift back overnight? I know I wouldn't.

As others have said, at it's busiest there are boatloads of flights out of LAS into all major airports in the US with plenty of daily flights back across the pond.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Seraglio
When the ash cloud hit Iceland and all flights were disrupted i got stuck in Vegas with my wife for 8 day's. And you know what? There are definetly worst places to get stuck. We enjoyed the extra week and made the best out of it.
Even with free accom and subsistence - I couldn't (nor my wallet) survive eight additional days in Vegas
jjmoore, nancypants and eugegall like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There are also other airlines than BA and AA. Overall there are about 60000 enplanements[1] at McCarran airport every day. It seems implausible that 337 passengers (747 max pax load) could not be accommodated out of there to another hub (not necessarily of OneWorld) and then onto the UK within 24 hours. Or to their ultimate destination if they are only in transit at LHR.

[1] Don't blame me for the word, that's from https://www.mccarran.com/pubfile/b08...0190326-114151

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.