BA Gold recognition on Cathay flight

Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended

You will have better chance for upgrade then You enrol to Marcopolo

I had friend which was stack at USH and on waiting list with overs, and becouse he just enrol to local program he been in first flight insted others....
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:23 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by chan36
Yes the recognition on BA flights as a Gold Member is often not existing and on Cathay it’s outstanding. Personal greeting on both ways from/to Seoul bottle water and champagne on both legs and a cheese plate on the way to Seoul. When you fly intra Europe with BA no greetings no water nothing.
I was in J on Cathay from LHR - HKG recently and didn't get any kind of recognitions as a Gold Member. Neither was I on a KA flight from HKG - CSX (Changsha). I have a flight to Seoul later on KA/CX via HKG. Will see if I get recognition on either. It doesn't really bother me, but it demonstrates that recognition isn't always outstanding.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Having had status in all three alliances at one time or another I would say that each airline upgrades its own members in advance of other status holders from the alliance. The only variation on this I've ever seen is LH who seem to upgrade purely on the value of the ticket rather than status which also seems fair enough.
That's some interesting info regarding LH upgrade policy. Is it the face value of the segment to upgrade, or that of the full ticket? If the latter, the top positions in line for upgrade would be claimed by those doing multi-segment flying, and holding a J RTW ticket would make a winning streak?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
CX have done this since their June2018 revamp.
As a result i always use miles and upgrade.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by amt
Yes this is true...

But they also track the spend and value of other OW members on their airline, particularly the ones that live in HKG and spend on F/J tickets and will override that especially if you give them reason to... like if you were to volunteer to take a later flight or be restated to accommodate a family.

From personal experience, I can confirm that CX algorithm is more sophisticated than just elite status. They have a huge database and look at your spend on CX, even if you are BAEC member. I do get frequent opup on regional flights. If not, I get the special treatment outlined above (champagne and upper-class meal).

​​
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
As an aside you can simply ask CX to status match you that way you'll then be one of their own FFP. I asked a few days ago and after submitting proofs of BA travel and upcoming CX bookings they happily obliged and are in the process of creating the accounts for both myself & Mrs CLAM and have promised to get back to me when it's all setup. Initial email took all of a minute to type and send and I guess 5-10 gathering all the screenshots to show bookings/ mileage & current BA status.

I appreciate that the whole concept of having OW is that your status carries over across carriers however there are times when being in X airlines own little club has a benefit such as the OP's and when you encounter a newer member of staff on your travels who isn't as well versed in how the OW system works.

For a data point we're both Silver/ OWS and have been granted Marco Polo Club Gold so a like-for-like matching as their highest is Diamond which equates to OWE / BA Gold ( for those unaware).

Personal choice of course and as I said I wont argue the fact you shouldn't/ don't need to but being higher on the potential upgrade list is hardly a bad thing for such a small time requirement.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
As an aside you can simply ask CX to status match you that way you'll then be one of their own FFP. I asked a few days ago and after submitting proofs of BA travel and upcoming CX bookings they happily obliged and are in the process of creating the accounts for both myself & Mrs CLAM and have promised to get back to me when it's all setup. Initial email took all of a minute to type and send and I guess 5-10 gathering all the screenshots to show bookings/ mileage & current BA status.

I appreciate that the whole concept of having OW is that your status carries over across carriers however there are times when being in X airlines own little club has a benefit such as the OP's and when you encounter a newer member of staff on your travels who isn't as well versed in how the OW system works.

For a data point we're both Silver/ OWS and have been granted Marco Polo Club Gold so a like-for-like matching as their highest is Diamond which equates to OWE / BA Gold ( for those unaware).

Personal choice of course and as I said I wont argue the fact you shouldn't/ don't need to but being higher on the potential upgrade list is hardly a bad thing for such a small time requirement.
As silver u match to Marco instead of collecting miles to become gold? Because you'd def won't get gold? Otherwise I don't see an advantage in the slight chance to an upgrade or a few more avios on cx?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Yes income and the fact that Mrs CLAM flatly refuses to do TPR's and demands a minimum of 4 days wherever we get off a plane means hitting Gold is highly unlikely ( never say never and all). That said one even as a MPC member if I so desired I could still credit points to my BAEC account as CX ask during the booking process so it's not an issue.

Having had to argue the case with other OW carriers staff about rights/ privileges due to us we've got an AA account ( again matched) and as we're off to the far east this year decided to ask CX if they'd do the same. Once again I wont argue that you shouldn't have to but for the sake of 2 emails and lets say 15 mins of my life compared to a 10-30 minute argument with staff who don't know the rules & having to show them because they cba to check/ do their job when you're supposed to be relaxing on holiday it's a no brainer for ourselves. If it also has a benefit on the complete lottery that is any airlines upgrade algorithm then in the words of Tesco's - every little helps
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by chan36
I was flying out of Seoul last night on in an overbooked Economy Class flight with 7 Seats left in Premium Economy. I asked at the Check in for an Upgrade to Premium Economy but they refused as the Emerald Status is to low because they Upgrade all Marco Polo Members Tier members incl diamond / Gold and for my surprise Silver before they Upgrade the OW Emerald. The supervisor showed me the upgrade procedure in her system as I could not understand that they preferred their MP silver before OW Emerald. It’s comparable to the bronze status of BA. Does anybody know how the procedures are within BA or other OW member or is it just a Cathay case? Anyway flight was really great also in Eco on an A350 aircraft with emergency exit seats and 2 champagnes from the puser.
It isn’t hard to understand for me. CX has the right to prefer their own loyal customers.
mrow likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Having had to argue the case with other OW carriers staff about rights/ privileges due to us.....
It seems you are trying to solve a problem that isn't there. I fly CX more that I fly BA, but my OWE status is issued by BA, and never have any problems whatsoever of not getting things that I should including upgrades. Frequently there are upgrades going on regional CX/KA services (I normally book short flights in Y), and then I was also upgraded by CX on my last work flight of 2018 from HKG back to Europe from J to F - a very nice Christmas present indeed ^

There are so many MP Diamonds on CX flights and in HKG, that Gold is not going to help much in all reality.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Yesterday was the first time I didnt get an upgrade from W to J on CX flight! As a BA GGL.
I am also running for CX Diamond soon.
rossmacd and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I don't know about CX specifically, but I have indeed had multiple check in agents telling me how tired they get of people asking for free upgrades, and in some cases how much they dislike it. There have even been a couple of completely separate cases when I was upgraded at the check in counter and when thanking the agents was told in no uncertain term that it was because I had not asked anything.
It was quite a while ago, and my memory might not be spot on, but CX operated a SFU like system, where the check in staff would be able qualify a passenger as 'Suitable For Upgrade' and those passengers who asked/demanded upgrades did not get the SFU. This was before more sophisticated systems were put in place. I am pretty sure it was corporate policy, and definitely considered poor form. Though if you were the HKSAR Chief Executive's wife, exceptions were granted........................................... ..................

Just as an aside, during my many years as a CX DM (OWE) I scored an upgrade success rate of 3%. Now an AA EXP I noticed I get treated no differently when flying CX/KA than when I was a CX DM.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Similar situation happened to me. Asked a few times in the lounge to upgrade from J to F (with a half empty F cabin), I was told to keep checking closer to boarding time and then denied the upgrade.

Once boarded, the F cabin was full as they probably gave precedence to CX Gold and Diamond. Nothing scandalous, although I was disappointed at the poor communication.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by frandrake
Similar situation happened to me. Asked a few times in the lounge to upgrade from J to F (with a half empty F cabin), I was told to keep checking closer to boarding time and then denied the upgrade.

Once boarded, the F cabin was full as they probably gave precedence to CX Gold and Diamond. Nothing scandalous, although I was disappointed at the poor communication.
I am not sure where you had poor communication.
As mentioned above, asking for an opup does not increase your chances as it is decided automatically. All you can do at the lounge is check if your opup came through but you will usually know when you board the plane and the plane and hear a nice beep.
Also note that a lot of CX pax have an airport upgrade certificate (because of some previous irrops or other commercial reason). They are very difficult to use to upgrade from J to F as there are only 6 F seats. These will kick in before other general opups. And my experience is that it is rare to be able to use them. Also, CX staff can purchase fairly cheap F tickets on waitlist. Again those will kick in before any general opup.unless J is overbooked and the opup from J is necessary.
orbitmic and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
It seems you are trying to solve a problem that isn't there. I fly CX more that I fly BA, but my OWE status is issued by BA, and never have any problems whatsoever of not getting things that I should including upgrades. Frequently there are upgrades going on regional CX/KA services (I normally book short flights in Y), and then I was also upgraded by CX on my last work flight of 2018 from HKG back to Europe from J to F - a very nice Christmas present indeed ^
I'd agree totally with this. I don't see the problem either. My OWE status is also via BA and I have never had any issues at all with other OW airlines recognising my status and providing the published benefits. Part of the "problem" (as I perceive it, and other perceptions may differ) is that people are constantly wanting more - whether this be a cabin upgrade, extra guests in the lounge and so on - and feel affronted when they don't get it. Of course it's always nice to be upgraded, and I have had complimentary upgrades from PE to J on both CX and AA. I have no doubt that these were partly because of my status but I would have had no issue at all had I not been upgraded and remained in my booked cabin, even if other passengers were upgraded in lieu of me.

In terms of on-board recognition, this varies as well. CX are usually very good - I have had water, champagne, first meal choice, dessert from F etc. as part of the "recognition" they provide for OWE. AA can be a bit more hit and miss but I've had a few proactive staff who will check their PDA and remind me that I can have a complimentary snack and beverage. I certainly don't throw my toys out of the pram when I don't get recognised but it's nice when it happens.
rossmacd and DiamondMile like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.