Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is ClubEurope like/BA Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Platinium Elite, Aer Lingus AerClub, Lufthansa Miles&More, SAS EuroBonus, VA Flying Club & BA
What is ClubEurope like/BA Service

So I really don't want to get the train to London. (Been there don't that! Got the VA points). I booked myself into ClubEurope and flying between Manchester and London Heathrow. Its an hour flight, so not expecting much.

I've been told I get served food in Club Europe. What realistically are they talking about? An M&S Sandwich and a drink? I rang BA as I have a fully flexible ticket I still had to pay £27 for a seat reservation for both legs, as apparently I "Don't hold status, BA doesn't consider you a valued customer so you have to pay for a reservation" I'm also not allowed to use the Club check in desks, until "I've travelled on 25 flights and earned some status" is that right? I thought holding a club ticket allowed me to use the club facilities?

Is the inflight service as bad as speaking to them on the phone?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
You will get a cold plate plus a warm roll, unless its breakfast time.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...usiness-dining

You will be able to use the Club desks and choose your seat at check-in (24 hours before travel) for free.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:23 am

Welcome to the forum kurtis5561. It's good to have you here.

For the catering - this varies depending on the time of day but won't be M&S - that's for economy 'buy on board'. Have a look at the thread here which has full details of the Club Europe offering including photos. Club Europe catering | menus, reviews and photos

The agent was wrong - you do get to use the Club check-in desks, fast track security and Club lounges if you have a Club Europe ticket, no matter your status.

For seat selection it depends what 'selling class' your flight is booked in. If you're in J or C class that includes free seat selection. A 'fully flexible' ticket will for sure be in one of those. You can check which selling class you're in by clicking 'More flight information' in your flight details in Manage My Booking.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Take a look at the Club Europe catering guide for details of what food you'll get (Manchester is an express band flight) Club Europe catering | menus, reviews and photos

With regards to other Club facilities you should be able to use Club check in, fast track security and access the BA lounge after security before the flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The food and service in F on the train is better than CE on the plane. As is the seat. No security either.

Plus no faff of getting to / from out of town airports.
Ldnn1, Sealink, DYKWIA and 12 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by kurtis5561
Is the inflight service as bad as speaking to them on the phone?
It can always vary, but I'd say you are quite unlikely to get completely incompetent service inflight, whereas on the phone...
IAMORGAN and SFO777 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Platinium Elite, Aer Lingus AerClub, Lufthansa Miles&More, SAS EuroBonus, VA Flying Club & BA
Originally Posted by Markie
You will get a cold plate plus a warm roll, unless its breakfast time.

You will be able to use the Club desks and choose your seat at check-in (24 hours before travel) for free.
Thank you.

I had a look here
Code:
britishairways. com/en-es/information/seating/reserving-your-seat
and I'm a fully flexible ticket apparently my ticket should allow me a free anytime seat reservation? Or have I read this wrong
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
A fully flexible ticket is likely to have cost well over £500 return (unless you have some decent corporate rate). Do you know what fare class you are booked into? This should be a letter such as I, C, D, R, J.

Furthermore, regarding seat reservations, once you achieve bronze status (300TPs) you will be able to reserve seats for free at 7 days. At silver status (600TPs) you can reserve seats at time of booking. In CE you earn 40TPs each way on this route.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
The flight time is usually around 35 minutes so you'll get quite a rushed service consisting of one drink and a plate of reasonable food. It can be much cheaper to fly from MAN to LHR than catch the train, depending on the time of day that your are travelling.

The food and service on the train is not always better than the flying. I've sat on the floor of a packed carriage from Euston to Manchester (first class) so careful what you wish for.
T8191 and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
A fully flexible ticket is likely to have cost well over £500 return (unless you have some decent corporate rate). Do you know what fare class you are booked into? This should be a letter such as I, C, D, R, J.

Furthermore, regarding seat reservations, once you achieve bronze status (300TPs) you will be able to reserve seats for free at 7 days. At silver status (600TPs) you can reserve seats at time of booking. In CE you earn 40TPs each way on this route.
Fare class D. It also says "Free seat choice at anytime" however its charged me (Well my company credit card £27 - £13 outbound and £14 inbound). As company we use BA and AF/KLM for our travel, I generally haven't used BA so I don't have status.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
After just recently having gone up on the train and back via BA: I would do anything to avoid MAN airport in the future.

This thread: Oh the joys of Manchester security.... sums up my experience there.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerub
After just recently having gone up on the train and back via BA: I would do anything to avoid MAN airport in the future.

This thread: sums up my experience there.

I don't mind Manchester security. I have all my stuff out ready and use the fast pass lane. Through generally quickly. The train mind you travelling in first recently has made me jaded against them hence me flying.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:42 am

The ticket is worth it for the lounge access, checked bags, bin space, and fast track through checkin, security and boarding. In-flight isn’t that much different than economy on such a short flight.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kurtis5561
Fare class D. It also says "Free seat choice at anytime" however its charged me (Well my company credit card £27 - £13 outbound and £14 inbound). As company we use BA and AF/KLM for our travel, I generally haven't used BA so I don't have status.
D is usually non flexible. But you may well get seat selection at T-48.

I personally wouldn't bother paying a seat, unless there was row 1 available, or the exit row, and you are over about 6ft 2 inches. Usually the curtain roulette process ensures that at least one window and at least one aisle seat is made available at OLCI. Otherwise the seats are identical anyway, and you'll always have the middle seat empty if you are on an Airbus service. Even though I get free seat selection with my status, on domestics I often leave it until OLCI to select a seat, it's a detail that isn't worth my time resolving.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
The ticket is worth it for the lounge access, checked bags, bin space, and fast track through checkin, security and boarding. In-flight isn’t that much different than economy on such a short flight.
I’d argue that having a seat next to you empty with a table (if it’s not the new NEO), complimentary food of which is pretty nice compared to paid for sandwich, complimentary alcohol if you’re inclined and the chance to exit before the crowds can be a very comfortable experience. Couple that with what I certainly agree with you on the ground experience, then overall for short flight, it’s great.

Yes, like most things it could be better but it is what it is and it’s whatever you value is always very personal.
IAMORGAN and george77300 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.