Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

615 GBP to upgrade to CW...... say WTP or upgrade??

Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold

Thats alot of money ... ORD TO LHR.....

what do you all think??? I have never flown WTP. my biggest concern is not food or drink or service for that matter. Its seat comfort....

i am 6'2" and 250 lbs... What do you all think. i think the WTP seats will be good????

This is also a A380 aircraft.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’d say no way. But everyone’s idea of value is different.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I wouldn't do it at that price but I could imagine that if sleep was important and you perhaps have an important meeting the next day then it could be worth it to some.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How can any of us advise you? We don't know what GBP 615 means to you. If it is what you drop on a bar tab after work, it is well worth it. If it means that your kids don't get new shoes, then it is not worth it. If it is somewhere inbetween, you have to be the judge.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Personally for me, at 615 I would do it, but as everyone else has mentioned, it depends on how much you have and are willing/able to spend.

WTP is all well and fine though and is my 'go to' mode of travel, when flying from London to USA. The seats are a bit bigger & wider than WT. The food service you get is better than WT too, but with CW you do get a seat that does convert into a bed.

Then the questions becomes, are you travelling during the day, or on an over night flight? - For me, when flying the redeye I'd much rather have a full flat bed than sitting upright, (or slightly reclined at a jaunty angle).

I had a similar conundrum last week, about an upgrade from WTP to F (for 1300) from LHR to HKG (Given that was a 12/13 hour flight, decided to go for it)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I wouldnt - WT+ is survivable with a decent neck cushion, eye mask, ear plugs, Nytol and a window seat. Its not pretty but it is do-able.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by feysul
Thats alot of money ... ORD TO LHR.....

what do you all think??? I have never flown WTP. my biggest concern is not food or drink or service for that matter. Its seat comfort....

i am 6'2" and 250 lbs... What do you all think. i think the WTP seats will be good????

This is also a A380 aircraft.
Depends on how you value your money for this particular flight. If you would have purchased CW anyway at the time of booking but just didnt, this may be a good deal. If you look at CW prices and balk, then bad deal. Lots of factors (sleep on redeye, what you have planned the following day, whether you sleep in WTP anyway, etc) that only you can answer.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
My personal opinion is to also not do it at that price. I am about 6ft and WTP is not too bad at all and manageable. I did a 12 hour from GRU to LHR and was absolutely fine
feysul likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
WTP on an A380 isn't a bad product I would suggest. From a passenger perspective the A380 is a great bit of kit, and the WTP product on it is about as good as it gets in BA terms.
feysul likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
No way I would accept this offer unless my company would pay it. Once I was offered $639 from IAD to LHR for an AUP at check-in and at the lounge for WT to CW but I have told both agents that I am willing to pay no more than $200 for the upgrade. Of course it didn't work and I flew that flight at WT.

For your case, stick with WTP unless you need the extra 50TP. But I don't think 615GBP would be worth for 50TP as well.
feysul likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Thank you.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Btw AAs daytime ORD-LHR Dreamliner flight could be good in Premium Economy if you want to avoid trying to sleep on a shortish overnight flight.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:23 pm

For me no it's not. If it was a different carrier then possibly but that is a fair chunk of cash if you think what else you could spend it on.
If it's a rare treat and you can afford it this once and think you only live once then go for gold, just make sure you eat , drink and sleep sufficiently to maximize it.
However as others have said it may be pocket change to you or maybe not so who knows!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:59 pm

I do the 70 pounds per hour calculation personally from WTP - CW
frb98mf likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:22 pm

I generally try to earn the difference on the flight, so I have a good idea what my hourly would be (plus in a lot of cases I'm claiming it as tax deductible anyway).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.