Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Making and then maybe cancelling a reward booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Just trying to get a head start on a trip I will need to make in the near future but unsure of the actual dates. I can’t remember the rules on this but if I made a return reward booking on a direct route, and then had to change one or both legs, what are my options?

If I need to change say, one of the legs and there are no reward seats on the date I want to move to, can I simply cancel that leg of the trip, get a full refund on the points and the taxes and then be free to search for something else? Basically am I going to lose out financially or points-wise if I needed to cancel the leg of an award booking?

Would I be able to hold onto the other leg as a one way trip?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I believe it’s 30GBP to cancel/ amend a booking. All Avios and charges are returned

It will likely be simpler two book the trip as twin singles if you can (think you may be charged more I’d return is from US
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Probably worth the risk if it’s only £30 I risk losing. Return would be from the US and the cost between two singles or one return makes a return probably more sensible.

I guess it depends if I can cancel just one leg and keep the other. If I had to do that and there were no reward seats available, I may have to buy a single on another airline as BA’s single fares are very high.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Probably worth the risk if it’s only £30 I risk losing. Return would be from the US and the cost between two singles or one return makes a return probably more sensible.
The change fee is £35.

For the same reasons that I gave in the other thread, I would strongly suggest not trying to penny-pinch here. I don't know which sector you're thinking might have to be changed. However, if you buy a round-trip ticket, then 24 hours before the departure of the first flight in the itinerary the entire ticket becomes non-refundable (except for refundable TFC). So if you get to that point and you need to change the inbound date to a date on which there's no availability, you will get nothing back for cancelling that half of the trip.

If you buy two one-ways, you will be able to cancel the inbound ticket until 24 hours before the departure of the inbound flight - even after you have travelled on the outbound ticket.

In addition, you will want someone to confirm whether, if you have a round-trip ticket LON-USA-LON, you can re-route to either LON-USA or USA-LON without falling foul of the re-routing rules. In other words, I am not certain that you can simply cancel one half of a round-trip ticket in this way. If you have two ticket, you can cancel either flight independently of the other, providing of course you are within the cancellation rules for the flight you want to cancel.
HIDDY, Tiger_lily and george77300 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
I believe that if you book as a return, you will not be able to change the inbound once you've flown the outbound so definitely worth booking as two singles.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The change fee is £35.

For the same reasons that I gave in the other thread, I would strongly suggest not trying to penny-pinch here. I don't know which sector you're thinking might have to be changed. However, if you buy a round-trip ticket, then 24 hours before the departure of the first flight in the itinerary the entire ticket becomes non-refundable (except for refundable TFC). So if you get to that point and you need to change the inbound date to a date on which there's no availability, you will get nothing back for cancelling that half of the trip.

If you buy two one-ways, you will be able to cancel the inbound ticket until 24 hours before the departure of the inbound flight - even after you have travelled on the outbound ticket.

In addition, you will want someone to confirm whether, if you have a round-trip ticket LON-USA-LON, you can re-route to either LON-USA or USA-LON without falling foul of the re-routing rules. In other words, I am not certain that you can simply cancel one half of a round-trip ticket in this way. If you have two ticket, you can cancel either flight independently of the other, providing of course you are within the cancellation rules for the flight you want to cancel.
If you need to be flexible or if you have a high degree of uncertainty about what happens when you get to the US, I would also strongly advise booking 2 one-ways.

If there’s any chance that you need to change the inbound, it is worth sucking up the extra £££ for the higher TFC’s you’ll get for an ex-US.

Either that or book one of the more flexible fares mentioned in your other thread.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Firstly, thanks for all the useful info. It's been a bit of a mad time here (those who read yesterday's thread from me will understand why) and in my fogginess, I didn't give an essential bit of info.

I will know, more than a few days before the outbound leg what the actual dates I need to be there are. So if I did need to cancel one of the legs, it will be before either has been flown - and not within T-24. I rang the Silver Line twice today (to make sure I got the same info) and they have told be that other than the change fee and an admin fee, I can cancel one of the legs before I leave and I'll get the Avios back. I can then make a cash booking if there were no reward seats on the leg I cancelled.

I think I'll give it until tomorrow and then risk it as the small change fee is worth taking the gamble. Worst case scenario is I have to cancel everything and make a cash booking, either with BA or another carrier.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Firstly, thanks for all the useful info. It's been a bit of a mad time here (those who read yesterday's thread from me will understand why) and in my fogginess, I didn't give an essential bit of info.

I will know, more than a few days before the outbound leg what the actual dates I need to be there are. So if I did need to cancel one of the legs, it will be before either has been flown - and not within T-24. I rang the Silver Line twice today (to make sure I got the same info) and they have told be that other than the change fee and an admin fee, I can cancel one of the legs before I leave and I'll get the Avios back. I can then make a cash booking if there were no reward seats on the leg I cancelled.

I think I'll give it until tomorrow and then risk it as the small change fee is worth taking the gamble. Worst case scenario is I have to cancel everything and make a cash booking, either with BA or another carrier.
I understand from yesterday’s thread why you’re asking this. Just wanted to wish you good luck. Can’t be an easy time.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I’ll reiterate the figures I gave previously.

One way LHR/EWR £253 plus 13 or 20k avios
One way EWR/LHR £155 plus 13 or 20k avios

Return LHR/EWR/LHR £265 plus between 26 and 40k avois.

So a gamble of paying an extra £12 and avios to potentially save £108. (Including change fee)

Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by madfish
So a gamble of paying an extra £12 and avios to potentially save £108. (Including change fee)
If you value Avios at zero, this can be a viable calculation.

It sounds like it may not be the OP's situation, but if the gamble includes potentially having to simply abandon the inbound half of the ticket whilst downroute, because there is no Avios availability for the revised inbound date, then those who don't value the lost Avios at zero may have to think about this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you value Avios at zero, this can be a viable calculation.

It sounds like it may not be the OP's situation, but if the gamble includes potentially having to simply abandon the inbound half of the ticket whilst downroute, because there is no Avios availability for the revised inbound date, then those who don't value the lost Avios at zero may have to think about this.
And route specific. There is availability on 90% of the days from New York. And generally more is released in the days immediately prior. I think there is a good chance of securing space on other flights on this route.

Besides. If you take a longer term view, the potential loss is not £12 and avios but could always put the inbound portion towards another trip and therefore you would not be losing the avios subject to paying the change fee and adding a new one-way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.