Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Iceland Road Trip Do, 5th to 8th September 2019

Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mtikky
Participants

Arriving on BA800, 5th September: Calchas, CaroFos +1, chris1979, jfallesen, Flexible preferences, Last20, JB7
Departing on BA801, 8th September: Calchas, CaroFos +1, chris1979, jfallesen, Flexible preferences, Last20, JB7

Hotels

Hotel Fljtshli and Smratn Farm 5th6th: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20, JB7
Hotel Eyjafjallajokull 5th6th: jfallesen

Laxarbakki 6th7th: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20, jfallesen, JB7

Radisson Blu Saga 7th8th: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20
Hilton Nordica 7th8th: jfallesen
Icelandair Reykjavik Marina 7th8th: JB7

AirBnB 5-8th Reykjavik - CaroFos +1,

Activities

Road trip South Coast and inland: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20, jfallesen, JB7

Car pooling

jfallesen (44): jfallesen, Last20, Flexible preferences
chris1979 (4x4): chris1979, Calchas, StevieD
Print Wikipost

Iceland Road Trip Do, 5th to 8th September 2019

Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have booked the flights and we have decided to get a car and tag along with the main group. How long have people booked the car for? If we are going to be in Reykjavik for the Saturday should we be returning the car on Saturday or keep it until Sunday and return it to the airport when we fly? Might make a significant difference to the price and if we don't need it when we are in Reykjavik it seems a bit of a waste.

Is there parking at the Radisson Blu Saga?

What have others done?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We are keeping the car for the whole time. I booked the Radisson on the basis that it (as far as I could tell) has free parking.

On expedia.co.uk today you can pick up a 4x4 for about 250 for the Thursday to Sunday period. Also there's a 10% cashback offer via TopCashBack.co.uk.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
We are keeping the car for the whole time. I booked the Radisson on the basis that it (as far as I could tell) has free parking.
Yes, the hotel does have parking. Its about a 25 minute walk from downtown Reykjavk but you can get a bus a few minutes walk from the hotel.

Another feature of the hotel is that the hot water is geothermal so you will get a sulphurous, drains type smell from the water when you have your shower!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:59 pm

From Iceland make an excursion to Greenland https://www.airgreenland.com/destinations/greenland

Greenland is spectacular https://visitgreenland.com/ and much more exotic than Iceland which, it seems, everyone has been to.

Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Next time I will remember to add email subscriptions when I join an important thread such as this one!

I'll try and book same hotels as the main party as seems to be a good group theme going.
@jfallesen do you still have room to car share (please)?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:44 am

@jfallesen

+1 on the car share please, if you have room after mtikky and of course provided you are doing the main itinerary.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
@jfallesen

+1 on the car share please, if you have room after mtikky and of course provided you are doing the main itinerary.
Having just re-looked (and confirmed on the Whatsapp group) the seats aren't the issue, but I don't believe @jfallesen is on the same itinerary as the others at the moment...

I don't know if there is room with anyone else... or do I need a high speed course in Icelandic driving? ;-)
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:19 am

All three hotels booked. The first of three is now showing full on booking.com but the other three are fine at the moment...
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sounds like a great trip for you youngsters. ^

Far too cold and uncomfortable for us, of course, but looking forward to the TR in due course. I shall raise a glass of wine to Calchas when it’s over.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Sounds like a great trip for you youngsters. ^

Far too cold and uncomfortable for us, of course, but looking forward to the TR in due course. I shall raise a glass of wine to Calchas when its over.
Having just turned 39 yesterday (and yes I was on a flight at some point during my birthday) I smile when I'm still referred to as a youngster. :-)
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mtikky
Having just turned 39 yesterday (and yes I was on a flight at some point during my birthday) I smile when I'm still referred to as a youngster. :-)
These things are all relative, of course.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
@jfallesen - can you add me to the car share if there is still space after flexible preferences and mtikky?
If you are doing the road trip, of course.
If you're not, shall I join you on the crash course in Icelandic driving, mtikky?

Last edited by Last20; Apr 22, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Last20
shall I join you on the crash course in Icelandic driving, mtikky?
Ahem, @Last20, perhaps crash course might not be the best phrase

Im still keeping an eye on the thread in the hope I might be able to make it.
Calchas and Last20 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:28 am

I want to apologise to those wanting a car-share ride. Mrs Snaxmuppet and I will have a car but we want to keep a degree of flexibility for this trip. We are both dead keen to tag along with the group and we are definitely looking forward to meeting up with you all. But we may stay longer or move along earlier at some spots. This is a one-off trip for us and we really don't want to be tied in to any fixed itinerary (apart from hotels). Sorry
CaroFos, Calchas and Last20 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:02 am

I have decided to join the road trip and have now booked myself into hotels as well. Being late, this means that I had to book Hotel Eyjafjallajokull instead of Hotel Fljtshli and Smratn Farm but they are close to each other so car-pooling should not be an issue.

In Reykjavik on the last night I did go for the Hilton Nordica instead but again, this should not be an issue in terms of car-pooling.

Also updated the wiki with this information and moved the dates to the hotel rather than after people's name.
Calchas likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.