Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Iceland Road Trip Do, 5th to 8th September 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mtikky
Participants

Arriving on BA800, 5th September: Calchas, CaroFos +1, chris1979, jfallesen, Flexible preferences, Last20, JB7
Departing on BA801, 8th September: Calchas, CaroFos +1, chris1979, jfallesen, Flexible preferences, Last20, JB7

Hotels

Hotel Fljótshlið and Smáratún Farm – 5th–6th: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20, JB7
Hotel Eyjafjallajokull – 5th–6th: jfallesen

Laxarbakki – 6th–7th: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20, jfallesen, JB7

Radisson Blu Saga – 7th–8th: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20
Hilton Nordica – 7th–8th: jfallesen
Icelandair Reykjavik Marina – 7th–8th: JB7

AirBnB 5-8th Reykjavik - CaroFos +1,

Activities

Road trip South Coast and inland: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20, jfallesen, JB7

Car pooling

jfallesen (4×4): jfallesen, Last20, Flexible preferences
chris1979 (4x4): chris1979, Calchas, StevieD
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Iceland Road Trip Do

Thursday 5th to Sunday 8th September 2019

This is a slightly different FlyerTalk do to normal. Instead of spending our time in one city, we are going on a little road trip to see some of the sights in the south-west of Iceland. And you’re invited.

We’ll start from Reykjavik International Airport (KEF). Most of us are coming in on BA 800 from London, landing at 11:00 am. We’ll spend the first day exploring the south coast, driving towards the town of Vik, making plenty of stops along the way. The next day, Friday, we’ll journey inland, driving part of the Golden Circle, visiting some of the famous sights, and spending some time in the Thingvellir National Park. On Friday night, we’ll stay near the town of Arkanes, north of Reykjavik. We haven’t planned Saturday yet—either we’ll spend most of the day in the capital city or we will continue to explore nature—but Saturday night we’ll be in Reykjavik. Then it’s back to the airport on Sunday morning for BA 801 back to London.

We certainly don’t have time to see everything, and there will be plenty of driving—but we think it will be a fun weekend.

We are also keen on hiking and photographing whenever we get a chance. There’s no obligation to follow our itinerary in full; you can join in for whichever parts interest you or leave to follow your own diversions.

So far the hotels are:
Thursday 5th to Friday 6th September: Hótel Fljótshlíd, Smáratún Farm.
Friday 6th to Saturday 7th September: Hotel Laxarbakki, Hvalfjarðarsveit.
Saturday 7th to Sunday 8th September: Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik.
[You can usually get a little off the list prices by using TopCashBack or Quidco. Or ask a friend for their booking.com referral link to get 10% off.]

Hotels outside of Reykjavík are few and far between, so, once you have purchased flights, I advise you to book hotels sooner rather than later.

In terms of car hire, I hope that there will be car pooling, but we aren’t arranging that. If there are other attendees you have met in the past and trust, consider sharing a vehicle.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Calchas
Iceland Road Trip Do

Thursday 5th to Sunday 8th September 2019

This is a slightly different FlyerTalk do to normal. Instead of spending our time in one city, we are going on a little road trip to see some of the sights in the south-west of Iceland. And you’re invited.

We’ll start from Reykjavik International Airport (KEF). Most of us are coming in on BA 800 from London, landing at 11:00 am. We’ll spend the first day exploring the south coast, driving towards the town of Vik, making plenty of stops along the way. The next day, Friday, we’ll journey inland, driving part of the Golden Circle, visiting some of the famous sights, and spending some time in the Thingvellir National Park. On Friday night, we’ll stay near the town of Arkanes, north of Reykjavik. We haven’t planned Saturday yet—either we’ll spend most of the day in the capital city or we will continue to explore nature—but Saturday night we’ll be in Reykjavik. Then it’s back to the airport on Sunday morning for BA 801 back to London.

We certainly don’t have time to see everything, and there will be plenty of driving—but we think it will be a fun weekend.

We are also keen on hiking and photographing whenever we get a chance. There’s no obligation to follow our itinerary in full; you can join in for whichever parts interest you or leave to follow your own diversions.

So far the hotels are:
Thursday 5th to Friday 6th September: Hótel Fljótshlíd, Smáratún Farm.
Friday 6th to Saturday 7th September: Hotel Laxarbakki, Hvalfjarðarsveit.
Saturday 7th to Sunday 8th September: Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, Reykjavik.
[You can usually get a little off the list prices by using TopCashBack or Quidco. Or ask a friend for their booking.com referral link to get 10% off.]

Hotels outside of Reykjavík are few and far between, so, once you have purchased flights, I advise you to book hotels sooner rather than later.

In terms of car hire, I hope that there will be car pooling, but we aren’t arranging that. If there are other attendees you have met in the past and trust, consider sharing a vehicle.
Certainly a nice tickle to spend an extended weekend. Being on the phone, I'll have to wait for a larger screen, to consider the distances covered with a trusted road map, but roads outside Reykjavik is not particularly known for riding comfort.

Speaking as you are of "we", I anticipate there already are some other FTers committed to this excursion. A humble suggestion of a Wiki, maybe?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The journey I planned is mostly (as far as I could tell!) on paved roads. There are some cool diversions on the F roads but I don’t think we will have time.

Yes at last count we have eight of us with booked flights so far.
onobond likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am booked and staying put in Reykjavik for the three nights in an AirBnB - hoping we will at least get to join the party for supper on Saturday or tag on to a Blue Lagoon visit. Plan to do tours of Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle, Whale Watching and Northern Lights, plus explore the city a little if anyone doesn't fancy all the driving.

THings we are looking at include
https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holid...ur-small-group
https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holid...e-kerid-crater

Look forward to adding to the WIKI! :-)
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Sorry I won't be joining, as Mrs T and I are doing a circumnavigation of Iceland in June - happy to provide feedback on our findings to this thread! For starters, here's a recent review I found of the KEF lounge BA use - https://www.travelcodex.com/review-i...r-saga-lounge/
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Mrs Snaxmuppet and I were looking at how we could do a bit of Iceland only last week! So perfect timing!

Count us in please

I'll look to booking flights etc over the next few days but I am at LHR at the moment at the start of a OTP-PHX TP run so I may not have a lot of time to actually book anything until Wednesday.

How exciting!

Edit: FLIGHTS BOOKED!
BA800 on 5th out, BA801 on 8th Back!

Not booked car or hotel yet.

Interestingly, it was just £155 each return HBO in Y but it said there were only 3 seats remaining. I assume it means at that price? Can't imaging that the flight is already booked out in Y this far out?
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by snaxmuppet; Apr 14, 2019 at 11:08 am Reason: Booked flights
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
for what it's worth, I can vouch that Calchas is a great road-trip planner and companion!

this should be a fun one no doubt. the more the merrier.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Would strongly suggest Airbnb’s outside of Reykjavík as the cost of meals in hotels is extortionate - as in £40 for a very mediocre main course - whereas supermarkets are just like the U.K. in terms of pricing. Even beer is fine from the Vinbud shops vs £9 a bottle in hotels.

If anyone wants a suggestion, this one was great (near Vik):

https://abnb.me/gqFjipHZSV
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
I'm booked on the flights but that's the extent of my pre planning so far...!

Happy to be swayed in either direction as far as itinerary - or to share the driving with someone.

Agree that a wiki post may help for planning bits and bobs.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Calchas
The journey I planned is mostly (as far as I could tell!) on paved roads. There are some cool diversions on the F roads but I don’t think we will have time.

Yes at last count we have eight of us with booked flights so far.
Really sorry, but I'm doing the last segments of an INV-LAS run for the first half of the Iceland Tour. My compliments in making a nice comprehensive program of southern and western Iceland together with the Finale in the capital. The map and the websites of your hotels all seem to promise interesting experiences nearby.

Have fun all that can participate ! Unfortunately I have to pass on this experience
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by CaroFos
I am booked and staying put in Reykjavik for the three nights in an AirBnB - hoping we will at least get to join the party for supper on Saturday or tag on to a Blue Lagoon visit. Plan to do tours of Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle, Whale Watching and Northern Lights, plus explore the city a little if anyone doesn't fancy all the driving.

THings we are looking at include
https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holid...ur-small-group
https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holid...e-kerid-crater

Look forward to adding to the WIKI! :-)
At the moment we are preferring to stick around Reykjavik and do tours from there. Certainly interested in Golden Circle/Blue Lagoon and whale watching.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by onobond
Really sorry, but I'm doing the last segments of an INV-LAS run for the first half of the Iceland Tour. My compliments in making a nice comprehensive program of southern and western Iceland together with the Finale in the capital. The map and the websites of your hotels all seem to promise interesting experiences nearby.

Have fun all that can participate ! Unfortunately I have to pass on this experience

:-( - but have a great trip!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
At the moment we are preferring to stick around Reykjavik and do tours from there. Certainly interested in Golden Circle/Blue Lagoon and whale watching.
Quizzed my AirBnB host today and she recommended a car so we can call our own shots... rather than the tours. . but will def be doing the Whale tour early on as you get a second go for free if you don't see any whales on your first trip.. .this is my OH's bucket list wish - nearly there except for the 'warm waters'! fingers crossed!! :-) OH would like to see WHALES ... any ideas?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:23 pm

did something similar as a family trip back in march.

100% own car! Don't do the tours
CaroFos likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:30 am

Thanks everyone. Car it is then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.