Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No checking luggage through on British Airways SFO-LHR LHR-GLA?

Old Apr 13, 19, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, Sixt Plat, National Exec

Booked a RT flight with British Airways SFO-LHR for a work trip to the UK. LHR was just a positioning airport for onward travel.

Once I firmed up where/when I needed to be in UK/Europe, I booked a separate connecting one-way BA flight onward that departed a couple hours after landing, LHR to GLA.

To begin the trip, when I arrived at the BA counter at SFO to check my bags, the agent told me I cannot check my bag all the way through to Glasgow, even though it was also on BA, albeit on a separate PNR.

I was puzzled as to why BA wouldn't check it all the way through, as I had to claim my bags at LHR and recheck at the BA counter to GLA. She said it was a new policy with BA as of last fall?

In my experience, I've been able to check bags through to final destination, even on separate PNRs, as long as it's the same airline.

Oddly enough, on the return, I had a separately booked BA flight TLS-LHR to connect with my return leg, LHR-SFO. The BA agent at the checkin counter at TLS checked my bag all the way through to SFO no problem, even though it was on a separate BA reservation.

Was the BA agent at SFO mistaken? (I did question her, but didn't push as I was getting close to baggage cutoff time)
Or is this a specific policy on flights within the UK?

Thanks for any insight!
Old Apr 13, 19, 3:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
SFO was correct. BA don’t through check bags on separate itineraries. You were lucky at TLS.
Old Apr 13, 19, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mixmastermark View Post
Booked a RT flight with British Airways SFO-LHR for a work trip to the UK. LHR was just a positioning airport for onward travel.

Once I firmed up where/when I needed to be in UK/Europe, I booked a separate connecting one-way BA flight onward that departed a couple hours after landing, LHR to GLA.

To begin the trip, when I arrived at the BA counter at SFO to check my bags, the agent told me I cannot check my bag all the way through to Glasgow, even though it was also on BA, albeit on a separate PNR.

I was puzzled as to why BA wouldn't check it all the way through, as I had to claim my bags at LHR and recheck at the BA counter to GLA. She said it was a new policy with BA as of last fall?

In my experience, I've been able to check bags through to final destination, even on separate PNRs, as long as it's the same airline.

Oddly enough, on the return, I had a separately booked BA flight TLS-LHR to connect with my return leg, LHR-SFO. The BA agent at the checkin counter at TLS checked my bag all the way through to SFO no problem, even though it was on a separate BA reservation.

Was the BA agent at SFO mistaken? (I did question her, but didn't push as I was getting close to baggage cutoff time)
Or is this a specific policy on flights within the UK?

Thanks for any insight!
This has become policy on BA, AA, and others. It is possible to check bags through despite the separate tickets and agents will occasionally do it. There are several threads discussing it and people in your position and those who have a cash ticket in conjunction with an award ticket, which cannot be combined, are also upset. There are suggestions that the policy may be modified but don't hold your breath.
Old Apr 13, 19, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You did not have a connecting flight at LHR. You had a separate ticket. BA will not check bags across tickets, including its own. It has been this way since 2016, so "new" is a relative term.
nancypants and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, Sixt Plat, National Exec
Ah, thanks for the insight. So official BA policy is to not allow checking bags through on separate reservations, even if they're both on BA. Good to know.

It's up to the individual ticketing counter agent if they're feeling generous to do it, but don't count on it. I must've really turned on the charm at TLS, as my bag was overweight too

Thanks again!
Old Apr 13, 19, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<snip>

<snip>
Sadly that is the way it is.

BA---> BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

AA---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html

OW---> Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ah, thanks for the insight. So official BA policy is to not allow checking bags through on separate reservations, even if they're both on BA. Good to know.

It's up to the individual ticketing counter agent if they're feeling generous to do it, but don't count on it. I must've really turned on the charm at TLS, as my bag was overweight too

Thanks again!
To be clear, it is not up to the employee and the employee is taking on risk. It is uncommon to have this happen and you should plan on it not happening.
Old Apr 13, 19, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
That was probably an inexperienced third-part agent. Lucky you
Old Apr 13, 19, 8:21 pm

One World has had this policy for a while. Dumb in my view, but we’ll known by many.
Old Apr 14, 19, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
QR will do it in my experience if they can work out how to do it. AA will do it, and will go to amazing lengths to do it if they want to e.g.creating dummy bookings in the system. BA usually won’t do it.
Old Apr 14, 19, 5:49 am

Programs: BA
Both BA and third party baggage agents frequently (70%) do it for me, despite the new rules. I must be lucky!
Old Apr 14, 19, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I remember a suggestion on here several months ago that a unintentional feature of BAs software or Amadaeus was that it will automatically check through bags if the system detects a consecutive booking.

That could've happened at TLS?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: