FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Lounge access hidden in ticket price? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1965236-lounge-access-hidden-ticket-price.html)

flyslow Apr 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Lounge access hidden in ticket price?

Booked a flight SOF and saw this in confirmation email, new one to me.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ceb9750900.jpg
So would my ticket be £2.90 cheaper if I was Blue or Bronze?

Globaliser Apr 13, 2019 3:04 pm

The £2.90 is "Bulgaria Security Charge (ZF)", as 30 seconds on ITA would tell you.

Often1 Apr 13, 2019 4:01 pm

What on earth made you believe that it was a lounge access charge? And more to the point, do you seriously believe that if BA did charge for lounge access that it would be 2.90?

Ldnn1 Apr 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30997114)
What on earth made you believe that it was a lounge access charge?

Err, the fact that BA’s own receipt used the very words “lounge access”?!

flyslow Apr 13, 2019 4:05 pm

It does say Lounge Access, my bad that I didn't associate it with security charge.
As what BA might charge for and how much.. anything is possible

Worcester Apr 13, 2019 4:10 pm

It may be a tax law issue where the split out the VATable lounge cost from the non VATable flight.

snaxmuppet Apr 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 30997132)
It may be a tax law issue where the split out the VATable lounge cost from the non VATable flight.

IIRC
This is what it is. When a company offers a "free" product or service even though they don't charge for the service they have to pay the VAT on the value of the service. This they charge the customer or they have to pay it themselves.

So if the VAT on lounge access is £2.90, at 20% it would value the lounge access at £14.50 plus VAT

Globaliser Apr 13, 2019 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 30997122)
Err, the fact that BA’s own receipt used the very words “lounge access”?!

And that didn't immediately ring every implausibility bell you could think of?

dougzz Apr 13, 2019 4:33 pm

£2.90 VAT suggests the included lounge charge is £14.50. Seems believable, agree with Worcester, probably a requirement to split that VATable amount out.

I’m sure the ticket wouldn’t be cheaper if you were not getting lounge access, it would just be an extra £2.90 for BA.

Globaliser Apr 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz (Post 30997175)
£2.90 VAT suggests the included lounge charge is £14.50. Seems believable, agree with Worcester, probably a requirement to split that VATable amount out.

To put it another way, why is "Bulgaria Security Charge (ZF)" so implausible?

dougzz Apr 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 30997182)

I honestly don’t understand you here. It specifically says ‘Lounge Access Vat’ - why do I have to consider the plausibility of that statement? Are you saying BA are misrepresenting the collection of tax?

Ldnn1 Apr 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 30997166)

Do you think I’m a representative sample of the general public?

And anyway, no it did not. It seems odd, yes, but not completely implausible. OP’s post seems a perfectly sensible reaction to it.

Im a new user Apr 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 30997132)

But what happens if you book the flight without disclosing your FFP number and then add it later?

Bretmd Apr 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 30997166)

As a US based flyer who is new to BA, many of BA’s actual fees have rung so many “implausibility bells” that nothing, including this fee, is above questioning. I’m probably not the only one that feels this way.

ScienceTeacher Apr 13, 2019 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 30996971)
The £2.90 is "Bulgaria Security Charge (ZF)", as 30 seconds on ITA would tell you.

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 30997182)

The OP isn’t (knowingly) asking about a Bulgaria Security Charge. The OP is asking about a Lougne Access Charge which, by the way, it specifically states on their receipt.

But you’re right. Everyone should double check on ITA Matrix the taxes and charges they’ve paid, cross match them with the charges they found on their receipt (ensuring the right fare codes match etc!) and just accept a security charge might be called a lounge access charge 😉

OP; don’t be put off by not checking such things. It is what this forum is for. I find it an interesting choice of words for a security charge!