Lounge access hidden in ticket price?

Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Some people are above questioning, just ignore them and focus on the topic at hand. Seems like a possibly serious tax issue, wonder what HRMC would say. Is it not possible that companies may be claiming this VAT back incorrectly due to this mistake?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:15 pm

Intriguing concept - if you turn up just before conformance and race to the gate without going to the lounge are you entitled to a refund? Can’t charge VAT on services not rendered. I suppose they’ll say you effectively “pre-paid” for lounge access, however then this would have to be buried in the T&C’s...
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Unless it's understood as departure lounge access charge - i.e. access to departures (so a security/airport/terminal fee)?
LHRtraveller1996 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:07 pm

If this is really a VAT charge, should not the BA VAT number appear somewhere?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
OK so various taxes, fees and surcharges have codes assigned to them. GB - APD, YQ = BA profit fee etc eyc

However these codes aren't necessarily a standard list so one country /airline can give a two letter code to a charge that gets translated to some other (often previous) meaning that dosen't always reflect the current version.

So it is perfectly possible that ZF was used by BA eons ago for one purpose but that no longer reflects it's current usage.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
So if the VAT on lounge access is Ł2.90, at 20% it would value the lounge access at Ł14.50 plus VAT
This seems right to me.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The bad of the BA board showing up in this thread
SK, makin'miles, dhuey and 35 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The OP's initial assumption that the fees and surcharges are described correctly in the BA confirmation email is one that any reasonable person would make. Those who know what that charge actually relates to could, I think, have found a friendlier and more polite way of sharing their knowledge.
SK, makin'miles, dhuey and 39 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:08 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
Those who know what that charge actually relates to could, I think, have found a friendlier and more polite way of sharing their knowledge.
Very well put. The OPs original post was both logical and entirely reasonable.

I'm using this forum much less now than I did in the past. While there are many great contributions from both frequent and infrequent posters, the attitude of some people can at times make it an unpleasant place to share experiences. Is it just me, or is there a correlation between giving people titles like "Evangelist" and "Legend" and some people feeling this gives them the right to speak down to everyone else? Don't get me wrong, I have learned a lot from many of the more experienced and knowledgable posters here. It would just be nice if the tone was consistently more friendly and positive.
dhuey, mario, DYKWIA and 22 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The OP is not the first person to question the description on
Understanding unusual BA charges
IAN-UK, nancypants and dougzz like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by RGS5526
If this is really a VAT charge, should not the BA VAT number appear somewhere?
If BA give VAT invoices then yes, it must appear on a VAT invoice. I suspect that if you were a TA or a business then you would receive VAT invoices but as members of the public there may not be a requirement to issue VAT invoices. Not everything needs a VAT invoice but I think if it is requested then they are obliged to give one.

On the question of whether you should get a refund if you don't use the lounge... IMO the VAT is charged not because you use the lounge but because it is available and included in the ticket price.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Often1
What on earth made you believe that it was a lounge access charge? And more to the point, do you seriously believe that if BA did charge for lounge access that it would be 2.90?
because it says lounge access charge....
IAN-UK, DYKWIA, burnsie21 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

So it is perfectly possible that ZF was used by BA eons ago for one purpose but that no longer reflects it's current usage.
cf the Swissair IATA code
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:53 am

Loss of revenue surcharge
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by Often1
What on earth made you believe that it was a lounge access charge? And more to the point, do you seriously believe that if BA did charge for lounge access that it would be 2.90?
What on earth made you think a rude response like this would be remotely helpful or constructive?
DYKWIA, burnsie21, CoweyB and 16 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.