Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kitchen Flood in GF Today

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Kitchen Flood in GF Today

Kitchens flooded this morning so limited hot options . T5 GF

they are doing there best though
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Leak soup on the menu perchance?
SFO777, JAXBA, evacboy and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Doesn't this seem to happen quite a lot?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Doesn't this seem to happen quite a lot?
Does it?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SKRan

Does it?
A couple of times a year I’d say, I think they must have built the GF/CCR kitchens on a floodplain without realising it.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's to prepare passengers traveling to parts of the USA for the spring floods that are due to all the snow melting.

Maybe they should be serving Baked Alaska after that leak soup.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

The GF kitchen actually sits at the bottom of a small gradient and is usually caused by actual tears of joy running along the floor from BA passengers in GF. It's a very emotional experience, even for regular BA flyers, when it all becomes too much to take in such as:

2 minutes to get through security at TFW
The fantastic views planespotting
The very low competitive fare they paid, sooo much cheaper than EK, SQ and CX
Thinking of the new imminent Club Suite launch
The joy of possibly meeting other FTrs and discussing TPs
The happiness of using the CCR with it's fine food and LPGS
The small chance of seeing corporate wage slave drinking out his black coffee mug
GGLrs are still overcome by having up to 5 guests to invite in
Seeing Group 1 on their boarding pass knowing they have made it in life

There are many other such things but the flooding is also not helped by the Silvers above in GC who are usually complaining and crying unnecessarily about something minor

Of course the above is all in jest but yes I've seen a few threads over the years re flooding now and again, hope it's fixed soon.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
A couple of times a year I’d say, I think they must have built the GF/CCR kitchens on a floodplain without realising it.
it's actually built on an old sewerage plant that was called Perry Oaks (the whole Terminal 5A) and that's not to be sniffed at .
John
PETER01 and nivsy like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think this is the first incident in 2019, there were about 4 in 2018 that I can recall. It seems to be the kitchen between Flounge and CCR most affected, I can't recall the 3 other GC kitchens in T5 having an outage, and they are all doing a lot more hot food compared to a year ago.

The cause is actually due to the fact that the kitchen has several large steam ovens - using flame cooking in airports isn't a great idea, you really don't want a fire airside. These have very large tanks of water attached, and if a pipe or internal connection breaks for whatever reason, the inevitable consequence is that gallons of water ends up all over the floor. And as the regulars will know, it's not a big kitchen.

It will be fixed fairly quickly (which is actually one of the upsides of steam ovens) but in the mean time perhaps spare a thought for the staff who will have to labour in a very difficult working environment.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
They were giving passengers in First vouchers for hot meals
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:46 am

Thanks for the explanation, c-w-s

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can't recall the 3 other GC kitchens in T5 having an outage, and they are all doing a lot more hot food compared to a year ago.
Slightly OT, but this comment caught my eye. Are you able to provide more context to that comment? Is it that there are more hot food options being provided (and/or a reduction in cold options), a greater demand from approximately the same number of passengers, or an increased number of passengers?

I don’t travel often enough at present to notice any difference from my 1-2 visits a year to the Club lounges, alas!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by squawk
Slightly OT, but this comment caught my eye. Are you able to provide more context to that comment? Is it that there are more hot food options being provided (and/or a reduction in cold options), a greater demand from approximately the same number of passengers, or an increased number of passengers?
I'm not exactly a frequent visitor to GC, but from what little I have seen, over the last year they have increased the hot items at breakfast, in the gap between 11 and 12 hrs; they also have a few more items between 15 hrs and 18 hrs. The salad items are also coming out sooner too. It's not a big change, but there are now more hot items for longer periods than before.
squawk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.