"leg hammocks" in Y

Old Apr 12, 19, 7:01 am
Original Poster

"leg hammocks" in Y

Are these banned on BA?

Before anyone argues, i have seen them being used before on other airlines and they are attached to the seat, which is not attached to the seat BACK and causes no discomfort to the person in front.

I just want to know if i can get one so i can use on a flight i am about to book.
Old Apr 12, 19, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post
Are these banned on BA?

Before anyone argues, i have seen them being used before on other airlines and they are attached to the seat, which is not attached to the seat BACK and causes no discomfort to the person in front.

I just want to know if i can get one so i can use on a flight i am about to book.
I donít know which one specifically youíre looking at; but it wonít be approved for use on BA despite the fact it doesnít cause any issues with the seat in front. The crew will ask you to remove it
Old Apr 12, 19, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hotels.com Gold
So how does it work if not attached to the seat in front?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 12, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
I think these are attached to the tray table mounting, which is on the fixed part of the seat in front (armrest assembly). The seat reclines independently of this. I was looking at one at the weekend actually on a J flight with Latam on an ancient 777 where the leg rest was broken, and another passenger was trying to use hers.

It didn't look very comfortable, even with a lot of leg room. I'd imagine it would affect the passenger in front to a degree.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 12, 19, 7:12 am
Original Poster

It is attached to the seat, not the seat back.. it attaches to the table which is not connected to the seatback but actual frame of the seat if that makes sense so the person on the seat in front doesnt even feel it (much like when you are eating on you table or if you have anything on the table, the person in front cant feel it)
Old Apr 12, 19, 7:16 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post
It is attached to the seat, not the seat back.. it attaches to the table which is not connected to the seatback but actual frame of the seat if that makes sense so the person on the seat in front doesnt even feel it (much like when you are eating on you table or if you have anything on the table, the person in front cant feel it)
Well, often when the person in front moves around my tray also moves so I would reckon that they might affect the person in front to some extent.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 12, 19, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Had to Google to find out what one of them was. Unless you're a child or a very short adult they don't look very comfortable to me.
Old Apr 12, 19, 8:20 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
several posts on this topic already such as

Fly LegsUp Hammock

from post #15

These are not permitted on BA. We have had an internal email clarifying this from our head of safety.
PETER01, Misco60, argonath and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 19, 6:54 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I use an inflatable foot pillow similar to the one shown here:

It takes the pressure off the back of the thighs and I've used it successfully on flights to/from UK and Australia. IT packs fairly neatly and doesn't take up too much space.

As well as not interfering with the seat in front, it has an added benefit in that it stops the person sitting next to you spreading their legs into your foot area.

Depending on your height, you may need to find the right balance between how much you inflate the pillow and where you position it, ie how close or far from you. I found too far out ended up putting pressure on my lower back, like I was slouching. A bit closer was the perfect spot for me and I got several hours sleep. This was on Cathay Pacific on the super quiet and comfortable A350. The big plus was the new head rest flaps that open out as well as fold in. Much better than any neck pillow and I could keep my bose headset on while sleeping. I'm normally a side sleeper but with the combo of foot pillow and great head rest I was able to sleep well on my back in the fully reclined (all 6" of it!) position.

Last edited by dddc; Apr 12, 19 at 6:56 pm Reason: Getting the video to work right
Old Apr 12, 19, 10:03 pm

Programs: airponts
I use one of these, fits nice and flat into carryon and you can kick it around with your feet. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1...white.html#ttl
Ive had lots of people asking me where i got it from. Fly long haul from NZ alot.
Old Apr 13, 19, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
Be aware that anything that doesn't fit under the seat in front, and therefore might hinder the egress of a passenger in an emergency, is unlikely to be allowed on BA. Other airlines are more relaxed, and as I've mentioned elsewhere we did get away with a toddler cushion seat extender in a window seat on a long haul flight.
HMPS likes this.