Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 Hours in LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by NJFlyer_HOHO
You folks are awesome!!! FTers once again pulled through with some amazing suggestions.

To answer some of your questions... We are flying Club World over the pond from PHL. So we will have access to fast track at immigration. Also flying F LHR-CDG (I guess we can use the fast track lane when we re-enter to airside after our side trip outside the airport, right?). We won't be able to change our flight as we have dinner plan set up in Paris that night. Actually (hush hush), I am planning to propose to my GF. That's why... But that's off-topic from this post.

So what I gathered from your responses is that Windsor is a great alternate option for me. Uber it over from T5. It is a short ride. Also, no need to deal with HEX and the tube and walking up and down the stairs, etc. And Windsor is beautiful. Everything there is about England. I should love it there (actually, I haven't been to Windsor myself either, so it will be a treat!) Central London will have to wait and we will have to stay longer than 6 hours to really appreciate everything London has to offer and to give it the right justice.

I will write back with a trip report upon my return!

Thanks much all!

Congratulations, one thing nobody has picked up on is luggage. I’m assuming you have checked luggage and this should be able to be tagged straight to Paris from Philadelphia and you can then travel to Windsor with hand luggage. fWIW there are no lockers at T5 but there is a left luggage in arrivals if necessary.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:03 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Sorry to nitpick, but...

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
While the London Bridge is an iconic visually it can be seen from a far from more accessible and ‘better’ locations.
Do you mean Tower Bridge? London Bridge (no "the") is pretty boring!

Originally Posted by mnhusker
Yes, but the IWM deserves a good long visit it's one of my favorites along with the RAF Museum at Duxford (on the Northern Line).
Duxford isn't in London. I assume you mean Hendon? It's a bus ride from Colindale and when I last visited it took way longer than the 7 minutes they claim on their site.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yes, Tower Bridge not London Bridge.

Originally Posted by dsf
Sorry to nitpick, but...

Do you mean Tower Bridge? London Bridge (no "the") is pretty boring!

Duxford isn't in London. I assume you mean Hendon? It's a bus ride from Colindale and when I last visited it took way longer than the 7 minutes they claim on their site.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:27 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
You folks are awesome!!! Also flying F LHR-CDG
F ? LHR-CDG .... Hmmm ... There is no F class on LHR-CDG .... you are probably in CE. :-)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You folks are awesome!!! FTers once again pulled through with some amazing suggestions.

To answer some of your questions... We are flying Club World over the pond from PHL. So we will have access to fast track at immigration. Also flying F LHR-CDG (I guess we can use the fast track lane when we re-enter to airside after our side trip outside the airport, right?). We won't be able to change our flight as we have dinner plan set up in Paris that night. Actually (hush hush), I am planning to propose to my GF. That's why... But that's off-topic from this post.

So what I gathered from your responses is that Windsor is a great alternate option for me. Uber it over from T5. It is a short ride. Also, no need to deal with HEX and the tube and walking up and down the stairs, etc. And Windsor is beautiful. Everything there is about England. I should love it there (actually, I haven't been to Windsor myself either, so it will be a treat!) Central London will have to wait and we will have to stay longer than 6 hours to really appreciate everything London has to offer and to give it the right justice.

I will write back with a trip report upon my return!

Thanks much all!
Depending on how price sensitive you are, you might want to get a black cab from the rank. It will be more expensive, but Windsor is only around 10 miles away. Just thinking that you are quite time poor, and whilst the Uber arrangement at T5 is now very good, with a designated pick up area, you might think time is precious and head to the rank. Plus a black cab is another tourist tick, albeit not in London itself. You can use credit cards/phone in black cabs.

Oh and good luck with the dinner!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Horatio
Depending on how price sensitive you are, you might want to get a black cab from the rank. It will be more expensive, but Windsor is only around 10 miles away. Just thinking that you are quite time poor, and whilst the Uber arrangement at T5 is now very good, with a designated pick up area, you might think time is precious and head to the rank. Plus a black cab is another tourist tick, albeit not in London itself. You can use credit cards/phone in black cabs.
One has to be a bit careful on that one. London Taxi fares are regulated within Greater London and Windsor is outwith. So formally you and taxi driver should negotiate a fare, and if that isn't done the meter fare would apply. In reality taxi drivers are notorious for giving a high quote since if even if going to a poor (for them) location in London such as Hammersmith, they would be looking at that sort of fare.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:29 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As this isn't really a BA issue, and the OP has already received some excellent advice, we'll close the thread at this point and respectfully ask for future contributions to be made in the UK & Ireland destination forum where there are already a number of consolidated threads on 'What to do in London for XX hours'.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/

/mod
NJFlyer_HOHO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.