Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 Hours in LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
When are you arriving?

Because if it is at the end of the school holiday period the airport will be heaving!

what passport do you have and what class will you be travelling?

if you don’t have a European passport and you don’t have fast track you could easily spend 45 mins in the immigration queue to get out of the airport if you arrive at the same time as another flight.

Just be be aware of this! As you may suddenly find you only have 30 mins to wander around. 20 of which will be wasted buying a ticket and walking up and down escalators to leave the station plus waiting time for the Heathrow Express to actually leave the station! They run every 15mins. But if you just missed one you will be waiting and it could happen both ways so there goes 30mins!

for me 1 hr isn’t enough. If I was going to do it I wouldn’t do the arrivals lounge. I would save the shower etc for when you return back to the airport.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you want to spend a more relaxing day in London, just dump your LHR-CDG flight. After the Arrivals Lounge, take HEX into the city, enjoy a solid 3-4 hours, then taxi/Uber over to St-Pancras and Eurostar to Gare du Nord. Much more relaxing IMO than round 2 at LHR followed by CDG.
boerne and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
I am doing something similar with my wife in December, arriving from ORD at 0630 and then departing on to TLV at 2200.

Getting a day room at Hilton T4 so that if tired can nap otherwise shower, breakfast and on into Land via HEX as most things in London open at 1000.

I have done this kind of quick stop in London at least a dozen times on my way to meetings on the continent, but never with flights that left before 3-4 PM in the afternoon.

Irregularities in HEX, the Tube and traffic jams going back to Heathrow are vary common so tight timing is something that should NOT be counted on. Plus I always wanted to arrive at least two hours prior to departure as clearing security and passport control can also be much slower than "normal".

So, if you really want a stop over visit, which I think is worth doing, London is a neat city, I would:

A) Look into a later flight to CDG

B) As a poster suggested look into taking Eurostar later from Central London to Paris in the evening instead of flying.

C) Look into a layover on the way back from Paris when you transit London. Maybe you can change your reservations so that you get into London from Paris say Sat. night and then fly out Sunday afternoon for example.

Hope you work it out!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:12 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Have 10 hour layover (switched to JAL F LHR-HND instead of the earlier BA one), quick visit to Imperial War Museum should be doable correct? I am OK getting around London, seems to be 30 minute tube from Paddington direct.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Have 10 hour layover (switched to JAL F LHR-HND instead of the earlier BA one), quick visit to Imperial War Museum should be doable correct? I am OK getting around London, seems to be 30 minute tube from Paddington direct.
Yes, though another option, since you are arriving into T3, is to take the bus 285 to Feltham station, get off at Vauxhall, and walk 1 mile from there. Or stay on to Waterloo and it's 0.5 mile walk from there.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mnhusker
Irregularities in HEX, the Tube and traffic jams going back to Heathrow are vary common so tight timing is something that should NOT be counted on. Plus I always wanted to arrive at least two hours prior to departure as clearing security and passport control can also be much slower than "normal".
There are no passport checks departing the UK in normal circumstances. People sometimes complain in this forum that the 35 minutes conformance minimum for security is too long (and actually they have a point at least for domestic service since these can only depart from T5A). Two hours is - in my opinion - way too long to be advocating as a minimum, security from landside these days rarely takes 10 minutes even without fast track, it has greatly improved in recent years, and for the late TLV flight it won't take 5 minutes. One hour is generous.
KARFA and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'd take the HEX and then wander around Notting Hill, grab some food and coffee there, and then head back to the airport. No landmarks, but beautiful streets and a very "London-esque" experience.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar

Yes, but the IWM deserves a good long visit it's one of my favorites along with the RAF Museum at Duxford (on the Northern Line).

Take HEX to Paddigton Station then the Bakerloo line to Waterloo Station. IWM is a short walk from there.

Coming back on the Bakerloo you can get off at Charing Cross station and:
1. Trafalgar Square
2. Quick lunch and shopping in Covent Garden
3. Down Pall Mall to Cabinet War Rooms (Where Churchill Ran the war during the Blitz)
4. Time now is short, walk north to the Green Park station, take the Piccadilly Line back to Charing Cross and then Bakerloo line to Paddington Station.

Great historical day in London
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are no passport checks departing the UK in normal circumstances. People sometimes complain in this forum that the 35 minutes conformance minimum for security is too long (and actually they have a point at least for domestic service since these can only depart from T5A). Two hours is - in my opinion - way too long to be advocating as a minimum, security from landside these days rarely takes 10 minutes even without fast track, it has greatly improved in recent years, and for the late TLV flight it won't take 5 minutes. One hour is generous.
Two hours is the "security blanket" approach that I advocate so that if Heathrow has any kind of melt down, you are covered to still make your flight.

This time includes arriving at HEX, climbing out of the "basement", clearing security, and then walking to whatever appropriate gate, and a possible late gate change. I am sure that all could be done in 60- 90 minutes but I add another 30 minutes for my OCD .

All the best.

John
boerne likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:22 pm

[QUOTE=Yoshi212;30990351..... from the top floor of the double decker than in the tube while not taking much longer as morning rush hour will be over..........
[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as a rush hour in London.

There is, however, London traffic.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:43 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by mnhusker
Yes, but the IWM deserves a good long visit it's one of my favorites along with the RAF Museum at Duxford (on the Northern Line).

Take HEX to Paddigton Station then the Bakerloo line to Waterloo Station. IWM is a short walk from there.

Coming back on the Bakerloo you can get off at Charing Cross station and:
1. Trafalgar Square
2. Quick lunch and shopping in Covent Garden
3. Down Pall Mall to Cabinet War Rooms (Where Churchill Ran the war during the Blitz)
4. Time now is short, walk north to the Green Park station, take the Piccadilly Line back to Charing Cross and then Bakerloo line to Paddington Station.

Great historical day in London
Thank you for that, I have spent many days at IWM so mostly just a refresher visit
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Depending on when this is there can be a fair amount of engineering works on the Heathrow Express and or underground butnboth have a schedule you can check online.

Id reiterate Windsor as close and quintessentially English. You could have a nice brunch there but beware of traffic to get back to LHR.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd relax in T5 especially if the weather outside is inclement.

However I say that as someone who's not a fan of whirlwind sightseeing in places I'm not familiar with. I've never found it to be worth the hassle or expense.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Our best experiences in a layover in LHR is on the return. There are a lot of options that get back to LHR in the early afternoon leaving from EU locations. You have a "free" 24 hours to do stuff before catching the home flight. We typically get in to LHR somewhere between 2-4 pm. We get a room at the Hilton in T4, throw the bags in there, and head to the city. We have had some marvelous early dinners and have seen Wicked, The Commitments, 39 steps, and The Play that Goes Wrong, to name a few. You can hit a lot of landmarks just getting to the above.

However, if doing the traditional London stuff is important, and on the inbound, be aware as others have posted upthread, there can be hitches in getting out of, and back in to LHR. Galleries lounges are not the worst places to spend 6 hours after a short east bound TATL.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Pro, Marriott Platinum, Sonesta Preferred
You folks are awesome!!! FTers once again pulled through with some amazing suggestions.

To answer some of your questions... We are flying Club World over the pond from PHL. So we will have access to fast track at immigration. Also flying F LHR-CDG (I guess we can use the fast track lane when we re-enter to airside after our side trip outside the airport, right?). We won't be able to change our flight as we have dinner plan set up in Paris that night. Actually (hush hush), I am planning to propose to my GF. That's why... But that's off-topic from this post.

So what I gathered from your responses is that Windsor is a great alternate option for me. Uber it over from T5. It is a short ride. Also, no need to deal with HEX and the tube and walking up and down the stairs, etc. And Windsor is beautiful. Everything there is about England. I should love it there (actually, I haven't been to Windsor myself either, so it will be a treat!) Central London will have to wait and we will have to stay longer than 6 hours to really appreciate everything London has to offer and to give it the right justice.

I will write back with a trip report upon my return!

Thanks much all!
Yoshi212, FEMW and mnhusker like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.