Wiki Posts
Search

6 Hours in LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Pro, Marriott Platinum, Sonesta Preferred
6 Hours in LHR

Hey all, I have a 6 hour layover at LHR. Wondering if it's worth it to head into town for a couple hours to sightseeing a bit. Here is the detail.

My GF and I will be flying in from PHL on BA arriving at 06:50AM on a Sunday. Our next flight will also be on BA departing from LHR to CDG at 1:00PM. If it was just me, I will just slum out the 6 hour layover at the Galleries Lounge (have a nice long shower, enjoy breakfast, read a magazine and take a cat nap) before heading to CDG. But it will be my GF's first trip to Europe. Even though our ultimate destination is CDG, I thought it might be cool to take a short side trip into London to see the Big Ben and the Tower Bridge and then take our short flight to CDG.

So according to my calculation of time, here is what I am thinking. Do you guys see any efficiencies I can gain from these times? I am on the fence to say the least. As you can see, we will only have 1 hour to do any sightseeing in Central London. So I am not sure if it's worth all the trouble to get into town. But having 6 hours inside LHR (I presume it will be T5?) may not be a good use of time. Welcome any thoughts from your collective experiences?

6:50AM Arrival from PHL
7:50AM Complete Immigration and Custom
8:40AM Finish up at the Arrival Lounge for a quick shower (we will skip breakfast) - Leave Luggage at T5 locker
9:15AM Arrive Paddington Station via HEX
9:30AM Sightseeing Time
10:30AM Depart Paddington Station to LHR via HEX
11:00AM Arrive LHR via HEX
11:30AM Passed through security/screening
11:45AM Galleries Lounge for a small lunch before boarding
12:15PM Boarding
1:00PM Depart for CDG
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hey!

It'll probably take about half an hour just to get from Paddington to Big Ben/Tower Bridge, so you would literally have no time there and would have to head back as soon as you arrive...

You could by all means have a wander around Notting Hill in an hour - it's not far from Paddington and there are a lots of spots to grab breakfast.

Hope that helps!
Yoshi212 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver
You could take a taxi or Uber to Windsor which is much closer to LHR - a trip round the castle is quite an experience and full of history.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:38 pm

Do it!

looks very workable - personally I’d get into London and avoid the arrivals lounge - you’ll nearly double your sightseeing time. I reckon in 2 hours you could see Hoyses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Downing Street and Buckingham Palave. Grab a quick bite to eat in London and watch the city wake up!

good luck.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
Whilst you’re timings all look reasonable. You’re time allowance for sightseeing is very tight indeed, getting from Paddington to say Charing Cross/Embankment is about 20mins including walking up and down tube stations and then say, doing a bit of walk to the London eye will take most of the hour you’ve allotted, it would be quite rushed. You would need a solid 2 hours ideally if you want a comfortable sightseeing experience for your partner.

Tower Bridge is probably a stretch as it’s one of the furthest tourist spots from LHR across London. Sunday’s can be busy with tourists and weekenders but you maybe ok at that sort morning time.

I’m pretty au-fait with getting about in central London but there’s a lot time spent getting around transport and sites, especially if you’re unsure of your surroundings or it’s a new area, it can be stressful.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Could you change your reservation? Fly into LHR, do what you need to at the arrival lounge, then head to London. Go to St Pancras and leave your luggage there, go and see the sights, then grab the 1631 Eurostar to Paris which will get you in time for dinner.

Added bonus you don't have to travel through the hell hole that is CDG
SFO777, FFlash, Yoshi212 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I wouldn't chance getting from Paddington to Tower Hill in the time you have. If there's engineering works you could find you can't easily get there at all.

The suggestion above of going to Windsor is a good one. The castle and surrounds are nice.

For any public attractions, you'll find they won't open before 10am - regardless of the day of the week. A lot of shops don't open on a Sunday until 12 noon because of Sunday trading laws - premises over a certain size are only allowed to trade for 6 hours and most do 12 - 6pm. This is where finding a pub/cafe is key to while away the time waiting...

Notting Hill is ok for a mooch through the market and a leisurely bite to eat in one of the many cafes (Electric Diner on Portobello Road is nice) but it doesn't really tick the sightseeing box IMO (could be jaded as it's not far from where I live!).
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Assuming you arrive at Paddington at 9.15 or thereabouts (having caught the 0857 service from T5) you'd need to be aiming to get the 1040 service back to LHR so you'd have a little under 90 minutes to get where you're going, do your sightseeing, and get back to Paddington.

You could take the Bakerloo Line to Charing Cross (getting there at roughly 9.30 or so), and from there walk to Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall past Downing Street to see the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, and then along Birdcage Walk (or through St. James's Park) to Buckingham Palace. You could then get back on the tube at Green Park at 10.20 to be back at Paddington for 10.30

So ultimately you'd really only have 40 minutes or so of true sightseeing above ground in your six hour layover. It would also be a bit of a quick march too. No time for dawdling or excessive photography

Of course if your flight lands early and there's no queue at immigration and you don't have to wait for a shower at the Arrivals Lounge then you may have more time to play with. Conversely, you may not.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My suggestions would be
- Windsor by bus or Uber (not a London cab however).
- Kew Gardens by Uber
- South Kensington by tube
The latter has a number of museums, shops and restaurants within easy reach, notably the Victoria and Albert, Science, and Natural History museums. It's on the same line as Heathrow, so no changing required, and the journey time to T5 is 42 minutes each way. This allows you to tune your return. On paper there are 6 tubes an hour, so a 10 minute service frequency, but plan for 15 minutes and ensure you get to security an hour before departure, you don't need 90 minutes, the minimum is 35 minutes so 1 hour is heaps.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

If you can’t change your connection to a later flight, I would say that Windsor or South Kensington would be your best options, as several others have suggested.

Both have a lot to see in a relatively small area, and are easier to get to from LHR.

My instinct would be to do Windsor, as I think it’d be more relaxed than South Kensington (the museums, though fantastic, also attract a lot of tourists - so it tends to be packed). Save central London for when you have a bit more time
nancypants and Qatar Airways like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another vote for Windsor. It’s max 30mins in a taxi from Heathrow giving you 90mins to wander around.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: FB, EC, HHonors, SPG
Sorry to disappoint you, but Big Ben is currently under refurbishment and covered in scaffolding so it's probably not really worth seeing it at present. Would recommend catching a cab an heading to Windsor and exploring that as its closer to LHR.
nancypants, Swadbus and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ordinarily, I would also say Windsor. Timings to head to the centre of London/the City and do much worthwhile are a bit tight IMO, and for a first trip to Europe it doesn't get a lot better than a visit to Windsor Castle...However, it doesn't open until 10am. Still, you can see it from the town, and Eton is a five minute walk away, and there's other stuff to see, such as the Long Walk in Windsor Great Park (C13 hunting grounds). Runnymede, site of the signing of the Magna Carta, is just up the road (literally).

Alternatively, head to South Kensington and then a walk up to the Royal Albert Hall & Kensington Palace would be worth doing. Again, the Palace doesn't open until 10am apparently, but you can see it, and if you want wander down Kensington Palace Gardens behind it, which is about as exclusive as real estate gets anywhere in the world. Notting Hill is walkable from there too but you might be a bit pushed for time.

Given it's relatively early on a Sunday morning, I would just Uber/cab it. You could do T5 to Kensington in 30 mins easy.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
London is a great first timer city.

Quick as possible to the Arrivals lounge to refresh and hop on the HEX and then I’d advise taking a bus to a touristy spot. She’ll get to see the city a bit more from the top floor of the double decker than in the tube while not taking much longer as morning rush hour will be over.

While the London Bridge is an iconic visually it can be seen from a far from more accessible and ‘better’ locations. Selecting one of the great breakfast spots, such at Ottolenghi in Belgravia or Notting Hill, or going to a food hall/market is worthy of consideration. I really enjoy the size, atmosphere and options at the Borough Market but that might not fit your time constraints though it is near the London Bridge.

focusing on Notting Hill may not be as touristy but it is a great area with lots to see and spots for a bite to eat. It’s also very easy to return from.

For the return it might be worth it to take an Uber or car service for time efficiency or just use the Tube. When I left the other day the timing worked out that the tube was shorter by about 8 minutes and didn’t require me transferring which can always lead to a misconnect in station making you wait for the next HEX or running back to the Tube/Uber.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Do Windsor - England as its best!

I was just standing today outside T5 and waiting for a business partner - was able to see the castle under today's approach path and thought I need to go there myself soon again

Also my HEX had a delay of 15min both ways so I think Central London is not in your favour. You can get a glimpse of South Ken with the tube if you really like - but you'll only say 'I wish I would have more time'!

Daniel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.